Pictures of the R Class (some new)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha

I have posted some pictures from the MB Vision R page. Some appear to be new or not seen before by me.

http://members.***.net/chiefphotomate/index
Old 03-22-2005, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Citron Green C230KMT
thanks! i love the interior!
Old 03-26-2005, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed, the interior seems nice. The exterior, though, is much worse than the Vision R concept -- which I had liked enough to at least consider it for the time when I'll be replacing/upgrading the Passat.

Part of it is due to different paint choices (beige, even metallic, is not as nice as silver IMHO). Mainly, though, I strongly dislike the "privacy glass" on the production version. Not only does it seriously reduce the amount of light available to the rear passengers, it also makes the car look like a van.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ayilar
Agreed, the interior seems nice. The exterior, though, is much worse than the Vision R concept -- which I had liked enough to at least consider it for the time when I'll be replacing/upgrading the Passat.

Part of it is due to different paint choices (beige, even metallic, is not as nice as silver IMHO). Mainly, though, I strongly dislike the "privacy glass" on the production version. Not only does it seriously reduce the amount of light available to the rear passengers, it also makes the car look like a van.
I am sure they will have a "silver" metallic paint option. It will not be the same paint on the concept since that was a totally new paint process which is being developed. I imagine it will be added later in the product line as it becomes viable to a production car.

The "privacy glass" is an option which uses laminated glass to reduce both UV to a greater degree than the standard glass and also reduces the infrared. The option is described as "available for the windscreen and front side windows, while the rear side windows and rear window are heavily tinted." So if you don't desire that effect then you can just have the standard "green tinted glass" or the "blue-tinted glass" which comes with the Sports Pkg or the Optional Interior Lighting package.

I also have some problems with the "privacy glass" effect. But looking at some other pictures it is not quite as "black" as shown in the pictures. But since I saw those pictures with the dark tint, I notice almost every SUV or minivan on the road now seems to have that on them. So since I have a real problem with skin cancer and being in the southwest, I will probably opt for the maximum in sun protection and have those dark back windows.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:43 PM
MKW

08 GL450
Mainly, though, I strongly dislike the "privacy glass" on the production version. Not only does it seriously reduce the amount of light available to the rear passengers, it also makes the car look like a van.
I totally agree. Rear window /hatch privacy glass scream " soccermobile ". I was hoping for the show car's all clear glass which has the look of a supersized more lux E-class wagon .
Now instead of a big wagon , it looks like a squatter minivan and worse, with those rear 3/4 lines AND the darkened glass ,a hearse.

Had been planning to replace the ML with the R class , but not if it doesn't look any better in real life.

Last edited by MKW; 03-26-2005 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MKW
I totally agree. Rear window /hatch privacy glass scream " soccermobile ". I was hoping for the show car's all clear glass which has the look of a supersized more lux E-class wagon .
Now instead of a big wagon , it looks like a squatter minivan and worse, with those rear 3/4 lines AND the darkened glass ,a hearse.

Had been planning to replace the ML with the R class , but not if it doesn't look any better in real life.
As I indicate above the "hearse" look is an option. The Standard glass is coated green and will look just like the "clear" glass of the concept. I would imagine the new ML options are identical to the R in the selection of glass.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:07 AM

Thanks for following up. Privacy glass is an option on the new M class as well. Unfortunately, that option is almost "mandatory" (so far, at least) in that it's included in all the option packages without which I would not consider buying that vehicle (went to see it at the dealer's this week-end, and it looks _much_ better to me than I had expected; my wife had the opposite reaction).
Old 03-29-2005, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for following up. Privacy glass is an option on the new M class as well. Unfortunately, that option is almost "mandatory" (so far, at least) in that it's included in all the option packages without which I would not consider buying that vehicle (went to see it at the dealer's this week-end, and it looks _much_ better to me than I had expected; my wife had the opposite reaction).
The glass area of options is complex in the article Details of the R Class. They speak abouj the "green tinted" as the standard glass and then the "blue tinted glass which is included with the optional Premium Interior Lighting package and Sports Package.

Then they describe the "laminated glass" which coats the inside of the outer glass providing greater infrared and UV protection. Then it states "this infra-red reflecting glass is optionally available for the windscreen and front side windows, while the rear side windows and rear window are heavily tinted." This is what we are seeing in the pictures. I did not see this option on the ML site and I do hope it is available on the R site when they post the options and prices.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:53 PM

Obsidian Black C43, Silver C43, Silver Carlsson E-class wagon, Brabus G-class

It looks too much like the Chrysler Pacifica.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by fastneutron
It looks too much like the Chrysler Pacifica.
Really?
Old 04-03-2005, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whatever there's gas in...
I see alot of potential in this car. Black/Black wouldn't look to bad with some color matched rims would it? plus with an AMG bodykit or something along those lines? might not look too bad..does anyone else see this besides me?
Old 04-03-2005, 11:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Lots of nice pictures there, I wish the R-Class had the rear doors slide instead of swing out.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E60 M5 - '08
Took the wife to the car show yesterday. She's not really into cars but for some reason this year she was interested. Anyway, she spent a lot of time looking at the Honda Odyssey and started saying things like "I think I can drive this car", "can this car fit into our garage?", "our kids will like this". It was weird!!

Anyway, I told her that the Odyssey is nice but we only get the 2.3lt (118kW) in Australia and it'll be like driving a mini van (yes, I was exagerating ). Then I showed her the pic of the R-class and I could have sworn she was drooling. Looks like I won't have to work hard to convince her after all lol...
Old 04-04-2005, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Le Burpor
Took the wife to the car show yesterday. She's not really into cars but for some reason this year she was interested. Anyway, she spent a lot of time looking at the Honda Odyssey and started saying things like "I think I can drive this car", "can this car fit into our garage?", "our kids will like this". It was weird!!

Anyway, I told her that the Odyssey is nice but we only get the 2.3lt (118kW) in Australia and it'll be like driving a mini van (yes, I was exagerating ). Then I showed her the pic of the R-class and I could have sworn she was drooling. Looks like I won't have to work hard to convince her after all lol...
The battle is won...I see an R Class in your garage soon...:-)