R Class Production Photos

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
R Class Production Photos

GCF has many new images of the R Class posted as well as some specs on the new model.

http://forums.germancarfans.com/zerothread?id=14510

Jack
Old 03-23-2005, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C250 sport
man, they should have at least put some bigger rims on it, looks terrible with those small ones...guess that's the standard 350
Old 03-23-2005, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by akbro93704
man, they should have at least put some bigger rims on it, looks terrible with those small ones...guess that's the standard 350
The R350 comes with 17"s and 18" are optional. The R500 comes with 18"s. The AMG Trim Pkg. comes with 19"'s. After the 21"s on the show cars anything would look like kiddies car wheels...:-)
Old 03-23-2005, 11:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Lame looking Minivan.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Lame looking Minivan.
Lame written comment...maybe you should drive "something" instead of Anything."
Old 03-24-2005, 12:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey I'm just saying it like it is. The R-Class is too long to be of anything cool looking. Same thing happened to the SRX Cadillac.

I like to keep an open mind about things, no shame in driving a minivan, especially those JDM Ody's.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey I'm just saying it like it is. The R-Class is too long to be of anything cool looking. Same thing happened to the SRX Cadillac.

I like to keep an open mind about things, no shame in driving a minivan, especially those JDM Ody's.
A much better comment. I think the SRX is too high and lacks any style other than another truck converted to a SUV look. The length of the R at 203" allows the car to be streamlined which is difficult with a mini-van concept.

For a long time MB wagon driver, this has all the features I could ask for and as far as the looks...that is subjective but I like what they have done. Watch the industry take-offs on this. Many have already copied the GST concept car look.

I am glad they offer the 18" wheels as an option on the R350. Even though I have the 17" on my E320 Sport, they are just too small for this car.

No harm, no foul....:-)
Old 03-24-2005, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
Lame looking Minivan.
actually it should be a lame minivan. period.

If mercedes wanted to sell a people mover and expect people to pay $$$$ for it. At least it must be big enough to sit at least 7.

I still don't understand why they won't sell the V-class here.

People drive mercedes has a family too.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by krispykrme
actually it should be a lame minivan. period.

If mercedes wanted to sell a people mover and expect people to pay $$$$ for it. At least it must be big enough to sit at least 7.

I still don't understand why they won't sell the V-class here.

People drive mercedes has a family too.
It is big enough to seat as many as you want but Mercedes designed it with 6 seats and utitlized the space for more comfortable surroundings. They really did not design this as a people mover. It is longer than an S Class and they put in features attractive to a lot of people. It is really an excellent travel car and that interested me.

With Chrysler having a full line of vans I don't think they will ever consider the V Class for the US.

The new G Class is going to be big-big and probably will seat 7 so you may want to look at that.

I did not make a decision to buy on the basis of a minivan. I made it on the basis that I wanted a wagon but this car offered me the features of a wagon with more room and style. I never bought a SUV (ML) based on the fact I did not want a 4 wheel drive that looked like a converted pickup truck. The R Class I think provides me just what I was looking for.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:52 AM

S63, 560SL
this is a car i've been following since the first concepts.

I have to say i'm a bit disapointed in the production model. To be honest, from the interior photos i've seen, it doesnt look like much more than a luxury version of the chrysler pacifica.

I hve to see one up close before i make final judgement
Old 03-25-2005, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by My_C55
this is a car i've been following since the first concepts.

I have to say i'm a bit disapointed in the production model. To be honest, from the interior photos i've seen, it doesnt look like much more than a luxury version of the chrysler pacifica.

I hve to see one up close before i make final judgement
From comments of people who have seen the production version, they say the pictures do not do it justice. Comparison with the Pacifica will continue since obviously they are similar design concepts, but the cars are totally different in my view. Suspension, engines, features, and materials in the R Class are all superior and the ride I am sure is totally different.

Whether people want to call it a minivan or a Sport Tourer or a dog, it is what it is and I for one will purchase it when it goes on sale. It has more features than the 2006 E350 wagon I almost ordered, is more stylish than the new ML, and has the ride and space of a large sedan. Pictures at eleven in the Fall of 2005...:-)

For those who are critical of MB for adding the R Class to an already crowded product line I say...you had better get used to the look because the rest of the industry will be copying the lines and concept (some have already.)
Old 03-25-2005, 11:21 AM
MKW

08 GL450
Yes the smaller production wheels aren't very becoming of the car's bulky rear 3/4 hearse-like view. But what makes it even more pedestrian and mini-van like compared to the sparkling show cars is the black out rear privacy glass . And what's with this goldfish -like google eyes and cheeks and nostrils on the front view that looks like some cutesy Japanese domestic market urban "secretary car" and nothing like a Benz ?
Old 03-25-2005, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I also think they messed up with the R350 and putting 17" wheels on it...I will opt for the 18" which I understand will be an option. The AMG Trim package will included 19" wheels.

The black out glass on the rear is part of a Infrared package as I make out the specs, but it does look a little odd. I would like the IR package glass but if it means no tint on the front glass to balance the look then I may have to pass.

The front does not bother me. I did not like the E Class 4-eyes when they were first shown but I have grown to like the look. Lights and grills and vents have gone nuts in the past few years as a design feature. Look at the Audi...what is that massive grille all about? As far as looking like a MB...the grille, lights and flat emblem are consistent with all the latest MB models and will probably be similar on the new S.

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 03-25-2005 at 11:51 AM. Reason: remove quote
Old 03-25-2005, 11:51 AM

many
Just wait for automtive press to rip it apart.
The interior space limited and only 4 people can fit since the last two seats are so too small.
Yes, it is almost Pacifica and this should be called Atlantica.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by a2gtinut
Just wait for automtive press to rip it apart.
The interior space limited and only 4 people can fit since the last two seats are so too small.
Yes, it is almost Pacifica and this should be called Atlantica.
On the contrary...the automotive press has already given pretty good reviews and one of the key points is the space for the rear passengers. The third row seats provide more leg room than the current E Class and can be increased if the 2nd row seats are positioned further forward. Maximum space between 2nd and 3rd row seats is approximately 36", depending on the seat postioning.

As far as "space limited" you have got to be kidding. The interior is the largest of any car of its kind. The lenght exceeds the S Class by 1 inch. With the seats down the storage space exceeds the current E Class wagon. What do you base that statement on?

Your last comment speaks for itself...no facts, just more words.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:09 PM

S63, 560SL
Hey Jack,

I didnt mean to demean the car with my post. The fact is that I will mostl ikely purchase one myself. My point was that if Mercedes was going to come out with a Crossover like this, it should have stayed closer to its concepts, instead of selling out.

I own an 05 Pacifica, its a great versitle car for using with the whole family. Unfortunatly I feel the Rclass is really just a rebadge. And that is what bothers me. The Daimler-chrysler bond was supposed to be more of mercedes giving to chrysler, for the first time we see a chyrsler car being rebadged as a mercedes. Yes the materials, and engine will be different, but the suspension will most likely be similiar, (which isnt bad since the pacifica shares the E class w211 setup) in this sense i'm just disapointed. I wanted them to come out with a NEW car.

As per the privacy glass, i think you're gonna see that on all of them, just as you do on the Pacifica. If you look at the same side profile of both cars they are the same, not similar but almost identical, the front and rear bumper fascia is different, but the profile is almost the same.

These are just my thoughts after seeing the production version.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:58 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
It is big enough to seat as many as you want but Mercedes designed it with 6 seats and utitlized the space for more comfortable surroundings. They really did not design this as a people mover. It is longer than an S Class and they put in features attractive to a lot of people. It is really an excellent travel car and that interested me.

With Chrysler having a full line of vans I don't think they will ever consider the V Class for the US.

The new G Class is going to be big-big and probably will seat 7 so you may want to look at that.

I did not make a decision to buy on the basis of a minivan. I made it on the basis that I wanted a wagon but this car offered me the features of a wagon with more room and style. I never bought a SUV (ML) based on the fact I did not want a 4 wheel drive that looked like a converted pickup truck. The R Class I think provides me just what I was looking for.
Then again, you wouldn't want a chrysler minivan.

The G is a SUV.

I never understand the appear of crossover. I would be very happy with the V-class. I don't think it would be too much of effort for DCX to bring it over here.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by My_C55
Hey Jack,

I didnt mean to demean the car with my post. The fact is that I will mostl ikely purchase one myself. My point was that if Mercedes was going to come out with a Crossover like this, it should have stayed closer to its concepts, instead of selling out.

I own an 05 Pacifica, its a great versitle car for using with the whole family. Unfortunatly I feel the Rclass is really just a rebadge. And that is what bothers me. The Daimler-chrysler bond was supposed to be more of mercedes giving to chrysler, for the first time we see a chyrsler car being rebadged as a mercedes. Yes the materials, and engine will be different, but the suspension will most likely be similiar, (which isnt bad since the pacifica shares the E class w211 setup) in this sense i'm just disapointed. I wanted them to come out with a NEW car.

As per the privacy glass, i think you're gonna see that on all of them, just as you do on the Pacifica. If you look at the same side profile of both cars they are the same, not similar but almost identical, the front and rear bumper fascia is different, but the profile is almost the same.

These are just my thoughts after seeing the production version.
No problem...I didn't take it that way. You make some good points.

I thought that they held pretty close to the concept. The wild center console is gone and some other minor changes but from what I have seen in prior concepts to production I think they held pretty close.

As far as the Chrysler/MB comparisons..they have the same roots for sure, but in my estimation it stops there. ( BTW, the Pacifica has the older E suspension prior to the 211 and the R has a totally new front and rear suspension with air optional.) The commonality is in the profile and general appearance but I see no further similarity. I don't know why MB just doesn't admit it is a minivan and promote it as the "most luxury minivan in the world." This Crossover stuff is just more jargon.

To use the word "rebadged" is not really taking into consideration what you get when you buy a Chrysler and what you get when you buy a Mercedes. To each his own but to me this is a NEW car (and distinstive in its own right) and while I cannot wait to order it, I would never order it if it was a Chrysler product. They do not make the same kind of car.

I have looked at some more pictures and the IR privacy glass is not as dark as it appears in some of the shots. It is transparent and does not have the same "black" appearance when viewed at a different angle. I have decided I will order that option when the time comes in the late summer or fall.

Well I have to go refresh my knowledge base for the next response..:-) Enjoy the interchange. Having driven MB almost exclusively since the early 70's I have a tendecy to defend the line. I think that in an effort to restore the recently acquired bad press (rightfully so) the R Class , the new ML and the new S Class will be given some very special attention to detail and quality components.

Jack
Old 04-04-2005, 04:00 PM

many
Did you sit it this thing?
Yes, second row is fine but third is a joke. Trust me, i know it.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Did you sit it this thing?
Yes, second row is fine but third is a joke. Trust me, i know it.
From my perspective that really doens't bother me since I would always have that rear row folded down, providing greater storage space behind the second row. For anyone who has had a MB wagon with the 3rd seat option, they know the seating is less than "luxury" to say the least...:-) But, I am sure the 3rd row in the R is more comfortable and provides greater room than the aft facing 3rd seat in the wagon.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:58 PM

Is it just me or...

?
Old 04-05-2005, 12:59 PM

many
you are forgetting that third row seat in wagons was designed for children not taller than ....( i forgot).
Benz wants R to be more than 2+2 car/wagon but it doesn't look like benz anymore.
Sorry, my 0.02 euro.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by naadp
Is it just me or...

?
It's just you...see your eye doctor at least once a year.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you are forgetting that third row seat in wagons was designed for children not taller than ....( i forgot).
Benz wants R to be more than 2+2 car/wagon but it doesn't look like benz anymore.
Sorry, my 0.02 euro.
Better get used to the look...BMW is planning one and others have already copied the look. What looks like a "benz" anymore to you?
Old 04-05-2005, 03:01 PM

1963 220Sb
It's definetly just you, but don't worry too much.