R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Towing with an R?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing with an R?

Somewhere in the specs I read that Mercedes does not recommend towing anything with the R class. That's a huge bummer... this would be a great vehicle for pulling around some light loads like waverunners or a small trailer.

Does anyone know why that's the case? The vehicle is built on the mechanicals of the new M-class, isn't it? It's permanent 4-wheel drive, yes? The R500 certainly has an engine that could handle a small towed load.

And the next logical question - what would happen if I did have a custom hitch fitted to the R? Anyone know if it would void the warranty or cause any serious damage?
Old 07-31-2005, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by joshg
Somewhere in the specs I read that Mercedes does not recommend towing anything with the R class. That's a huge bummer... this would be a great vehicle for pulling around some light loads like waverunners or a small trailer.

Does anyone know why that's the case? The vehicle is built on the mechanicals of the new M-class, isn't it? It's permanent 4-wheel drive, yes? The R500 certainly has an engine that could handle a small towed load.

And the next logical question - what would happen if I did have a custom hitch fitted to the R? Anyone know if it would void the warranty or cause any serious damage?
You raise some good points but I think you may want to send MBUSA a email and ask them about the trailer issue. With the only information available in magazine articles and web sites, any in depth answers are scarce right now. Perhaps the brochure when it becomes available will address that issue?
Old 07-31-2005, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBs
As far as I know MBUSA does not recommed towing for any passenger car models besides the SUVs. Not sure yet about the new R-class.

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/towing.html