R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Roof rack system?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof rack system?

Does the R series have options for a roof rack for skis, bikes, etc?
Old 08-12-2005, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by ccoh
Does the R series have options for a roof rack for skis, bikes, etc?
I have never seen a reference to a roof rack for the R Class. There may be some aftermarket rig after introduction but none as of now that I know of. You may want to contact MBUSA and ask them about it.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:58 AM

Here's a pic of roofrack

I'm pretty reluctant to contradict NVJack but looks to me like there WILL be roofrack systems... spotted this baby today.
Here you go... several shots of the new roof rack. Can't see it in these photos, but this was not aftermarket... clearly had MB logos on it.

This one had the full roofrack storage bin also which was inside the vehicle (locked) - tinted glass prevented a picture, but the storage box looks nice.

This one ALSO has the rear upper spoiler extension (AMG Package part?) and had the chin spoilers too... I like these spoilers, but if that's all you get for $4400, no thanks!)
Attached Thumbnails Roof rack system?-img_0976.jpg   Roof rack system?-img_0977.jpg   Roof rack system?-img_1022.jpg   Roof rack system?-img_1024.jpg  

Last edited by joshg; 08-15-2005 at 02:44 AM.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

These are the first pictures or reference to Roof Racks that I have seen...great scoop and shots of the system. (BTW, I didn't say there wouldn't be any, just that I had not seen any reference to them...:-) I saw the slots in the roof with the little covers but had no idea what they were for. This looks pretty nice for those who want to carry additional stuff. I don't think this will be exclusive to the AMG package but available as an accessory.

Where were these taken at? I note a couple of more in the picture.

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 08-15-2005 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
These are the first pictures or reference to Roof Racks that I have seen...great scoop and shots of the system. (BTW, I didn't say there wouldn't be any, just that I had not seen any reference to them...:-) I saw the slots in the roof with the little covers but had no idea what they were for. This looks pretty nice for those who want to carry additional stuff. I don't think this will be exclusive to the AMG package but available as an accessory.

Where were these taken at? I note a couple of more in the picture.
These were taken 8/14/05 in San Ramon, CA (bay area, east of Oakland) as MBUSA was preparing for a dealer training session.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
That has to be the least attractive roof rack I have ever seen. I hope it is not permanently attached and can be used only when needed.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:03 AM

Thanks for the info, but I must agree that the rack system is unattractive. Hopefully they can be removed when not used.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by JackStraw
That has to be the least attractive roof rack I have ever seen. I hope it is not permanently attached and can be used only when needed.
Hmmm... what exactly makes for an attractive roof rack? It's two bars that go across the width of the vehicle, separated by about 3 feet. How would one make it look good? That sounds sarcastic but isn't meant to be... i just can't imagine what defines an ugly roof rack or a beautiful one... seems pretty limited in design flexibility.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by joshg
Hmmm... what exactly makes for an attractive roof rack? It's two bars that go across the width of the vehicle, separated by about 3 feet. How would one make it look good? That sounds sarcastic but isn't meant to be... i just can't imagine what defines an ugly roof rack or a beautiful one... seems pretty limited in design flexibility.
Integration into the car.
I think that's what JackStraw is trying to mean. The W251 rack just looks like an afterthough.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Integration into the car.
I think that's what JackStraw is trying to mean. The W251 rack just looks like an afterthough.
Yep, thanks for the clarification, i think you're right - even our E-wagon has an integrated roof rack that is more clearly designed with the lines of the car in mind.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JackStraw
Agreed Jack but also I agree with joshg about any roof rack unless totally integrated like on the E wagon.

It apparently is removeable...see the other thread on this subject and I posted a shot of the connection point in the roof.