R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Pics of 5 Rs seen today!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 04:25 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
During lunch I went to the bookstore and they had the new issue of "Car" magazine. There's a review of the R500 which, to my surprise, highlighted some of the concerns that I had on my test drive. They described the interior as average at best. They complained about headroom and legroom calling it a 4 seater, not really a 6 seater. They also brought up the fact that none of the seats are electric, they all have to be adjusted manually. This is a good point as my salesperson had a tough time folding the seats flat. They gave it 3 out of 5 stars. It was not a flattering review.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by G55K
During lunch I went to the bookstore and they had the new issue of "Car" magazine. There's a review of the R500 which, to my surprise, highlighted some of the concerns that I had on my test drive. They described the interior as average at best. They complained about headroom and legroom calling it a 4 seater, not really a 6 seater. They also brought up the fact that none of the seats are electric, they all have to be adjusted manually. This is a good point as my salesperson had a tough time folding the seats flat. They gave it 3 out of 5 stars. It was not a flattering review.
I read and have a copy of this review, September 2005...it is a UK publication and reads like a "blog" not really a review. However, it does hit on some negative aspects which you seem to center in on.

After commenting on the steering wheel and carpet plates on the door sill, he states "But overall it's good solid stuff. with nice surfaces, convincing fit and finish, tasteful trim, well thought out details and the impression that its made to last."

His comments on the seating referred to the 3rd row also. The front seats are electric and have full memory like any MB.

In comparing it with the E Class Estate, he says "That depends on whether you actually need the R's extra space in the second row. It you do, this is the one for you. But if you want a sharper drive and car park friendly dimension, the E Class makes a lot more sense."

You can read all these articles and point out the negative comments and I can read them and counter with all the positive comments...in the end my comments would exceed your comments...and so it goes...:-)
Old 09-09-2005, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I read and have a copy of this review, September 2005...it is a UK publication and reads like a "blog" not really a review. However, it does hit on some negative aspects which you seem to center in on.

After commenting on the steering wheel and carpet plates on the door sill, he states "But overall it's good solid stuff. with nice surfaces, convincing fit and finish, tasteful trim, well thought out details and the impression that its made to last."

His comments on the seating referred to the 3rd row also. The front seats are electric and have full memory like any MB.

In comparing it with the E Class Estate, he says "That depends on whether you actually need the R's extra space in the second row. It you do, this is the one for you. But if you want a sharper drive and car park friendly dimension, the E Class makes a lot more sense."

You can read all these articles and point out the negative comments and I can read them and counter with all the positive comments...in the end my comments would exceed your comments...and so it goes...:-)
I don't mean to offend you. Enjoy your R as it's a very unique vehicle.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ruykava
looking good! btw one of the threads in this forum mentioned that the interior quality isn't really up to scratch - what did you think, overall? besides the plastic cupholders?

i WAS hoping merc would really teach audi a thing or two this time ("spend another $10 and people will pay another $100") but looks like it's not gonna happen here - or am i wrong :P
I think G55 isn't too far off in his comments but seem to have expected more than I did. The interior fit and finish does show some compromises and cost savings... there's plenty of plastic, and things like the glove box door and the cupholder area and wacky bottle-opener do feel cheap to the touch. I had a first-year M-class and this interior is much better than that one, but definitely not S-class. I have a Designo CLK500 and the interior on the R-Class is probably just slightly lower than (but close to) that car's wonderful interior.

Overall I liked it and after sitting in the car for hours, in all 6 seats, I did not feel appalled, surprised, or even disappointed in the interior save for the few things I mentioned, but overall came away saying they did a good job on the car. I didn't have the reaction G55 did, where he was so disappointed that he considered not getting the vehicle... that seems an extreme reaction to me but I respect it and generally understand it.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:34 PM
JDM

2011 C300
It reminds me of a Chrysler Pacifica. Those look like butt.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:35 PM
JDM

2011 C300
Bad Butt.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I saw the new R500 at the dealership today. Fit and finish is classic C set up and is IDENTICAL to the current ML class. They share many features, including the same "command" unit (which I hate as compared to the one on the E). While it is different (from my E) I still like it. It has a more sporty look with less lush. Simple examples are the door panels. On my E, there is a plush leather pillow feel to it. In the ML / R it is a smooth plastic (just like the BMWs). All in all, I find it to be a little BMW a little Rover and just a dash of Mercedes.

If I were to buy one it would be with the intent of rarely using the third row for seating. The second row seats offer EXCELLENT leg room. I had the driver's seat way back (as I like it) and was still able to pull the rear seat back far enough to have similar room to an S back seat. Only problem was no bench seat option in the second row.

I also was disapointed to see the non-automated seats and yes folding the second and third row seats was painstaking.

Panels were VERY clean. All doors and gaps were solid as all MBZs are. The funny gap at the headlights is actually a known thing. I do not know why it exists but have been told that ALL the Rs have it. Extremely odd. It may have something to do with the contoured lines of the hood and the headlights?

The front end is still new to me, but I like it much more in person. The larger size of the vehicle helps the look. The pics may make it look smaller, dunno.

It is a highway cruiser. MUCH smoother than the new ML (both w/ Airmatic). Holds a line very well. Tracks very smoothly out of turns. Felt less stable than my E55, but that is not saying much. On side roads, it was less agile than I hoped. The wheelbase really shows there. I'd even go so far as to say that I feel that I can throw the ML500 around more than the R. It (the R) does not have too bad of body roll, but there seems to be more of a delay in response from steering inputs than on the ML. Same goes for braking.

Overall, I like the new lines and see where there is room to change and improve. The 500 engine is awesome as always. Vehicle height is optimal. Not too low and not too tall. I had no headroom issues. It does NOT have stadium seating as the new ML does, so you should not expect that. It has as much head room as any car does. It is a touring vehicle, not an SUV.

Kind of funny about the Pacifica, but they do share a few design features. Oh well. The same can be said of the new Chrysler 300. That is what we get when we mix breeds. Each gets some of the benefits but also dilutes its own.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for posting jangy. Nice compilation of information and having an E55, a good evaluation of the handling and ride. I really feel good about my decision and after following this car so close for almost 4 years, it does my heart good to read good reports.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by jangy
I saw the new R500 at the dealership today. Fit and finish is classic C set up and is IDENTICAL to the current ML class. They share many features, including the same "command" unit (which I hate as compared to the one on the E). While it is different (from my E) I still like it. It has a more sporty look with less lush. Simple examples are the door panels. On my E, there is a plush leather pillow feel to it. In the ML / R it is a smooth plastic (just like the BMWs). All in all, I find it to be a little BMW a little Rover and just a dash of Mercedes.

If I were to buy one it would be with the intent of rarely using the third row for seating. The second row seats offer EXCELLENT leg room. I had the driver's seat way back (as I like it) and was still able to pull the rear seat back far enough to have similar room to an S back seat. Only problem was no bench seat option in the second row.

I also was disapointed to see the non-automated seats and yes folding the second and third row seats was painstaking.

Panels were VERY clean. All doors and gaps were solid as all MBZs are. The funny gap at the headlights is actually a known thing. I do not know why it exists but have been told that ALL the Rs have it. Extremely odd. It may have something to do with the contoured lines of the hood and the headlights?

The front end is still new to me, but I like it much more in person. The larger size of the vehicle helps the look. The pics may make it look smaller, dunno.

It is a highway cruiser. MUCH smoother than the new ML (both w/ Airmatic). Holds a line very well. Tracks very smoothly out of turns. Felt less stable than my E55, but that is not saying much. On side roads, it was less agile than I hoped. The wheelbase really shows there. I'd even go so far as to say that I feel that I can throw the ML500 around more than the R. It (the R) does not have too bad of body roll, but there seems to be more of a delay in response from steering inputs than on the ML. Same goes for braking.

Overall, I like the new lines and see where there is room to change and improve. The 500 engine is awesome as always. Vehicle height is optimal. Not too low and not too tall. I had no headroom issues. It does NOT have stadium seating as the new ML does, so you should not expect that. It has as much head room as any car does. It is a touring vehicle, not an SUV.

Kind of funny about the Pacifica, but they do share a few design features. Oh well. The same can be said of the new Chrysler 300. That is what we get when we mix breeds. Each gets some of the benefits but also dilutes its own.
I agree with your review.

As I've said I'm in the market for a new vehicle for my wife and three children (all still in car seats). I like the idea of the R because I have a bit of SUV burnout. Outside of the R my only real options are SUVs. The Range Rover, Lexus LX470, Toyota Landcruiser, and G class are all in roughly the same price catagory as the R and all accomplish the task of hauling a family of 5 with a dog and some "stuff." My interior expectations were set by these $70k SUVs and the "R" IMO is lacking. When I sat in the R500 I kept asking myself, "does this feel like a $70k vehicle?" My answer is, no. However, it's still a great concept and will make many people very happy.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
i think i've a good idea of where the interior is at now. having an S myself, i can say the S isn't really as plush as some might expect, especially at that price range. the E actually has better plastics, IMO. however, once the initial unease wears off, it is actually nice. compared with the previous W140, though... well, there isn't much comparison to be made - but to be fair, nobody, not even lexus or audi, builds interiors like that anymore nowadays..

as for the non-electric seats, i believe there is a simple reason: it'd be complicated to get power to them because they can slide forward and backward. it's not impossible, of course, but would make things much more complex. i drove a loaded toyota alphard today - it's a vast, kinda-luxo 7 seater - like the R but unbelievably huge and tall - and even so the middle and back rows were manual.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:35 PM
MKW

08 GL450
Sales guy says there will be a parts dept optional cargo cover that will incorporate the vertical " dog net " , like what is std on the E wagon. Why you have to buy a totally different cover ( and why it's not built in to the std horiz cover ) is beyond me. The car's interior is a bit " cheaper " to the hand and eye than the glossy promo pics of the past few months. It sure looks like a minivan standing at the rear 3/4 area , too. An R63 is something that will a good " Tahoe " car , but the looks .....

This is the view that would take me a LOT of getting used to though , to buy one as a family hauler ( thanks NV Jack ) : R class rear 3/4 " minivan " angle

Last edited by MKW; 09-12-2005 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MKW
Sales guy says there will be a parts dept optional cargo cover that will incorporate the vertical " dog net " , like what is std on the E wagon. Why you have to buy a totally different cover ( and why it's not built in to the std horiz cover ) is beyond me. The car's interior is a bit " cheaper " to the hand and eye than the glossy promo pics of the past few months. It sure looks like a minivan standing at the rear 3/4 area , too. An R63 is something that will a good " Tahoe " car , but the looks .....
I think the MBUSA BYO site has the Accessories listed and there is a vertical divider available. I don't know how it works with the Cargo Cover in place?
Old 09-12-2005, 06:29 PM
MKW

08 GL450
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I think the MBUSA BYO site has the Accessories listed and there is a vertical divider available. I don't know how it works with the Cargo Cover in place?
The salesguy claims , FWIW, that it will be an exchange unit ( at owner's extra cost ) where the cross piece will have the same roll back cargo cover AND a pull up net ( you can see the net hook/grooves are already built into the roof behind the second row seats ) . Just seems sleazy that ALL R's don't come std equipped like this , like the wagons .
Old 09-12-2005, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MKW
The salesguy claims , FWIW, that it will be an exchange unit ( at owner's extra cost ) where the cross piece will have the same roll back cargo cover AND a pull up net ( you can see the net hook/grooves are already built into the roof behind the second row seats ) . Just seems sleazy that ALL R's don't come std equipped like this , like the wagons .
I saw a copy (pdf) of the manual today and they describe the Cargo Cover operation and they discuss the Divider Net. There is no mention of a combination unit. The hook/grooves are behind both the 3rd row and the 2nd row. To use the Cargo cover requires an extension for the 2nd row use...two little clips that make up for the wider span at that point. The divider stretches to the upper clips and anchors to the floor rings with an adjustable strap.

Correction: the description is for the Cargo Net, not the divider.

Here is the manual pdf address:

http://www.mbusa.com/media/downloads.../r350_r500.pdf

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 09-12-2005 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:10 PM
MKW

08 GL450
The sales guy claims that a combo unit is in the pipeline or close to it . I suspect future production cars will have it std, but the early adapters will have to buy the improved one . . But, remember my source .

( You are right, there are two sets of ceiling hooks , dependant on the seating config )
Old 09-13-2005, 11:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
The ML one may fit?

Hey, Nevada...which color is it now?

I'm going in to drive one for a longer time.

I may actually buy one. The thing that I love and hate is the extra long wheelbase. It makes it so nice for multiple car seats and not having to buy a minivan.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jangy
The ML one may fit?

Hey, Nevada...which color is it now?

I'm going in to drive one for a longer time.

I may actually buy one. The thing that I love and hate is the extra long wheelbase. It makes it so nice for multiple car seats and not having to buy a minivan.
I have requested a change to Iridium Silver from Alabaster White. My dealer was hit by Katrina and he has no NetStar connection and has to do changes by phone. I have not heard from him whether the Code still allowed a exterior color change...1st decade build is 3 weeks away.

Any R500's build in September are Factory Set, meaning no changes. Custom orders will start with my build the first week in October.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:07 AM

W211 E55 AMG
the car itself just looks like a chrysler pacifica..
you know how this car is the same chassis as the ML, so the third row would be pretty small, too right?!
Old 09-18-2005, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by endy
the car itself just looks like a chrysler pacifica..
you know how this car is the same chassis as the ML, so the third row would be pretty small, too right?!
For information on the Pacifica influence see one (or all) of the articles on my Nevadajack web site listed in my signature.

The R had a longer wheelbase than the ML and is 14" longer overall I think. The 2 3rd row seats are full size adult seats and have normal leg room (see picture). They are also explained in the articles I have posted and pictures are contained in the other sites I have listed.

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 09-18-2005 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:42 PM
MKW

08 GL450
Saw and drove a base model, R350 over the weekend. The plastic dash is the lowest quality material / texture I have ever seen in 35 years of car ownership. It's got a rough football -like grain and feels almost sticky to the touch in hot sun . With it's black color on the car I drove, dust was on it, and you couldn't wipe or blow it off. I can imagine wiping it with a white terry cloth towel and the dash turning white from lint !
Old 09-19-2005, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I drove a R350 also with the Charcoal (Black) interior. I did not note a "sticky" feel nor was it covered with dust. The quality seemed to be what I have seen in most MB models of late. Just my opinion.

However I cannot understand why people like dark interiors, especially black...I have never cared for it. It kills any contrast with other interior features and shows the slightest bit of "dust" and other junk floating in the air.

I have not seen the Ash interior I selected as yet but if it is close to my E320, then I will be happy. My E has two shades of gray and from pictures so does the R. The wood wheel also improves the look which in Black is not as noticeable.

Old 09-19-2005, 11:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
MKW - actually, that "sticky-like" texture plastic is high quality stuff! it's the clean, shiny, easy to wipe plastic that's cheap. i think the material on the R dashboard is the same as on the R171 SLK. similar, but better, to what's found on the PREVIOUS 3-series (the new one has lower quality materials IMO). it IS a bit harder to wipe, i agree, but is thick and should last forever. just get some large spectacle cleaning cloth (costs 2 or 3 bucks) from the optometrist and everything will be fine.

there's one part about recent merc models i don't like though - that's the plastic surrounding the aircon vents, around the buttons on the steering wheel, and under the armrests. really looks and feels low quality in comparison with the rest of the cabin. don't understand why they can't make aircon cutouts flush with the dashboard (actually, they did reduce the area of that plastic on facelifted E-classes) - like on the W124. that'd also reduce the number of shutlines - the simpler the better.

having said that, although i'm not in the market for an R right now, i'm sure it's gona be a very, very good car - and those quality "problems" of mine might be mere nitpicking still having withdrawal symptoms from the mighty W140
Old 09-19-2006, 09:32 PM

1976 Volvo 244 DL, 1998 Volvo S90
nice..i like it. i finally had the chance to sit in one the other day. i like the interior alot, but there are just some things outside that I cant digest.