R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Pics of 5 Rs seen today!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pics (lots!) of five Rs seen today!

Hi... kinda new here.

I was tipped off by my dealer that MBUSA was preparing a dealer training session here in northern CA on the new R-Class, starting monday 8/15. Had some time today Sunday, 14th and decided to drive over to San Ramon at the country club where it would be held... hopefully the vehicles would already be there and I could get some shots.

Sure enough, five R's were there in the parking lot and some workers were cleaning them up and preparing the area. They were more than happy to let me poke around and get some pictures, try out the seats and even mess around with the mechanisms etc for well over an hour. One even gave me a great MB R-class baseball hat... very nice folks.

Anyway, here are the some pics and thoughts:

As others have said, it's very different seeing the vehicle in person. To my eye, it looks MUCH MUCH better live... doesn't look so, um, maybe 'bulbous' is the best word. Thats what I thought from several pictures I had seen... In person it looks nicely proportioned.

It's incredibly deceptive how long it is. It doesn't look it until you see it next to another car. I wasn in an E-wagon and it was much longer.

I was disappointed to see 5 vehicles, but only 2 colors... Black and Silver. (the regular silver, not the goldish desert silver... had REALLY hoped to see Pewter). And all had black interiors... had wanted to see a gray and macadamia. All had Sirius... all had COMAND, all had iPod kit. Oddly NONE had the 2nd row console, and none had the rear-seat DVDs... as we know, that option is delayed, but had hoped to see it installed anyway.

BUT... did see both R500s and R350s, and one had the roof rack system which I don't think has been seen or photographed before... and that one also had the AMG body kit parts. Pictures to come...

(possibly had a color balance problem on my camera... that IS a silver car, though some shots make it look like Desert Silver or Pewter)
Attached Thumbnails Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_0997.jpg   Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_1000.jpg   Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_0995.jpg   Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_0983.jpg   Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_1028.jpg  

Last edited by joshg; 08-16-2005 at 02:43 AM.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:17 AM

Fit and finish were excellent on the exterior. They looked VERY sharp... the only thing I think I didn't like were the front chromed airscoops under the headlights... especially on the black car, these seemed out of place. They blended in better on the silver.
Attached Thumbnails Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_0968.jpg   Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_0971.jpg   Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_0972.jpg   Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_0973.jpg   Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_0994.jpg  

Old 08-15-2005, 03:22 AM

INTERIOR - I actually liked the seats in the combination leather and... what is it? some sort of tough suede/velour-like stuff. Felt great.

Nice accents and look...

BUT... that can-opener gimmick in the cupholders is really cheaply made... it felt really lightweight and the cupholders look metal but are plastic and do feel like plastic. disappointing...

Glove box also had that early-M-Class lightweight feel... not as solid as I'd hoped. Nice front console storage boxes... 4 of them! amazing what space is freed up by moving the shifter to that new electronic gizmo thing on the steering column.
Attached Thumbnails Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_0978.jpg   Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_0982.jpg   Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_0991.jpg   Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_0992.jpg   Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_0993.jpg  

Last edited by joshg; 08-15-2005 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:30 AM

REAR SEATING

What a pleasant surprise... It's MUCH easier to get in and out of than I thought. Those 2nd row doors are big and open incredibly wide.

GREAT mechanism for getting in the 3rd row... when you lift the handle at the bottom of the seatback, the seat back moves forward mechanically then the seat itself pops up and even more forward, making it easy to get in 3rd row.

If you worried (like I did) that kids or adults would have trouble getting in that 3rd row, don't worry, it's very easy. look how big that gap is when the 2nd row seat moves up!
Attached Thumbnails Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_1004.jpg   Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_0979.jpg   Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_0980.jpg   Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_0981.jpg  
Old 08-15-2005, 03:36 AM

One problem I noted...

When you're sitting in the 3rd row seats and you want to pop the seats forward to get out, it's not obvious how to do it.

I'll bet owners will get used to people pulling on that latch in the middle of the 2nd-row seat back... I did. It just pops off in your hands... it's a cover trim piece for the child seat anchor. sure looks like a seat-fold lever. nope. Then I nearly broke off that little plastic thing that looks like a release lever near the door. see it below? nope, that's a seatbelt strap retainer. and it's VERY flimsy. Was scared I almost broke it.

Seat-fold release mechanism when you're IN the 3rd row is that red strap under the 2nd row seat. not obvious... betcha lots of people will pull those other things first.

It actually LOOKS pretty obvious in these pictures, but you're seeing it with the seats already folded forward! When they're back, you're reaching way down between your legs, under that 2nd row seat to pull the red strap and your legs block the view, so it is not at all obvious.

BUT, 3rd row is surprisingly comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_1011.jpg  

Last edited by joshg; 08-15-2005 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:44 AM

STORAGE

Wow, as I said, it's huge... with all seats folded down it looks as if it'd swallow a pool table... (well maybe a small foosball table).

pictures below don't do it justice... those are HUGE signs the mercedes rep had in the car, along with big aluminum frames...
Attached Thumbnails Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_1027.jpg   Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_0984.jpg   Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_0985.jpg   Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_0988.jpg  
Old 08-15-2005, 03:55 AM

The one area that was SMALLER than I thought was the area behind the 3rd row seats... with those seats up there's not very much storage. the pictures above, like others I've seen, make it look pretty roomy, but it's not. it's deep enough for one row of grocery bags.

I wasn't very impressed with the retractable cargo shade thing. There are two mounts for it... one behind the 3rd row seats, one set behind the 2nd row for when the 3rd row seats are folded down. Unfortunately, the 2nd row mounts are further apart, so the shade has these two dangling "extensions" on each end... add them to the shade before mounting in the 2nd row position, remove them and let them dangle when you mount it in the rearmost position. awkward. Look carefully at the shots above - see em? those extenders are dangling down left and right under the shade! no place to hold them, they're on straps and they just dangle there.

AND despite the appearance of mounts up near the roof above the 2nd row mounting spot for the shade, the shade thing does NOT have a vertical mesh net thing for dogs (like the E-class wagon one has, or the M-class)... maybe that will be fixed at release as there clearly are mounts for it up high.
Attached Thumbnails Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_1014.jpg   Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_1015.jpg   Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_1016.jpg   Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_1017.jpg  
Old 08-15-2005, 03:56 AM

more cargo area pics
Attached Thumbnails Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_1019.jpg   Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_1020.jpg   Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_1021.jpg  
Old 08-15-2005, 04:04 AM

Under the floorwell is the space-saver spare, an inflator, first aid kit, and in this vehicle, the Harmon/kardon amp/subwoofer.
Attached Thumbnails Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_0987.jpg  

Last edited by joshg; 08-15-2005 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:06 AM

Sorry this thread is so long! bad form.

see other threads on the AMG kit, the iPOD kit, and the roof rack.

Any questions, please post and I'll try to reply, or surely the more knowlegable forum people here will reply...
Old 08-15-2005, 04:08 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Finally!

Black looks like a stealth fighter!

Wow that car is really looking good.
How were the panel gaps?
Old 08-15-2005, 04:19 AM

Hey Ricky,
Panel gaps were excellent... much more S-Class than (early) M-class. And I did look hard for it... one vehicle did have a wider-than-normal gap at the hood-opening where it meets near the lights. but most probably wouldn't have noticed.

And I agree about the black ones... I've ordered Pewter, but after seeing them, there's no doubt in MY MIND (no flames please) that the vehicle looks better in darker colors.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
What about the headlights. I'm not really sure what they are looking like or whatever.

What's your opinion on them?
Old 08-15-2005, 04:38 AM

Hey Ricky,

Yeah, that's definitely hard to get a sense of... and even when you see it in person there is something odd about the front view. I think the headlight area is the one I'll take the longest to get used to... it's just not like any other MB or any other car... maybe somewhat reminiscent of a camry? but taller...

If I had to predict an area we'd see a slight refresh on in a few years, it would be the headlight assemblies... a few more pics below show what I mean. Front view isn't my favorite on this car, unlike most other MBs.
Attached Thumbnails Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_0996.jpg   Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_1006.jpg   Pics of 5 Rs seen today!-img_0977b.jpg  
Old 08-15-2005, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
GREAT Information!!!!! Thanks for posting and taking the time to describe what you saw. Had not seen these threads prior to responding to your other posts.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Thanks....great shots!

Only beef I can see right off the bat are those suede inner seat liners.....OMG...these things (R's) certainly are going to be marketed to the minivan crowd among others and that just ain't gonna fly with the juicebox crowd. Yikes. One drop on that and you are screwed.....

Surely it has to be some type of stain resistant fabric, can't be real suede can it??
Old 08-15-2005, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by joshg
Hey Ricky,
Panel gaps were excellent... much more S-Class than (early) M-class. And I did look hard for it... one vehicle did have a wider-than-normal gap at the hood-opening where it meets near the lights. but most probably wouldn't have noticed.

And I agree about the black ones... I've ordered Pewter, but after seeing them, there's no doubt in MY MIND (no flames please) that the vehicle looks better in darker colors.
Hey joshg, great stuff.

Color has been my biggest problem with this car. I have just about worn out the NetStar computer with color changes...:-) The only thing preventing me from selecting Pewter is the fact that my E320 is Pewter, and I definitely want a change for the new car. Nothing other than White seems to meet that need. My prior White E wagon was beautiful and easy to keep looking new so I am going for it. Any model MB I see in Alabaster White (and there are many here in LV) looks great.

No flames...color selection is a personal decision...we all get everything else the same...:-)
Old 08-15-2005, 02:05 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Thanks....great shots!

Only beef I can see right off the bat are those suede inner seat liners.....OMG...these things (R's) certainly are going to be marketed to the minivan crowd among others and that just ain't gonna fly with the juicebox crowd. Yikes. One drop on that and you are screwed.....

Surely it has to be some type of stain resistant fabric, can't be real suede can it??
Its fake. Alcantara seating inserts. I have them on my ML and I have two kids (4,6) and so far no problems.

GREAT PHOTOS! Thanks for your efforts.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:26 AM

2006 E90 325i
Josh-
I live in Danville and I thought I saw a few R Classes around. I was thinking to myself, are these cars even out yet? From what I could see (I was driving myself), looked kinda weird. You said a dealership was showing it, was it Stead in WC or MB of Pleasanton? Anyway, just another post of a sighting which I thought was a test market thing, being as how many soccer moms with minivans are in the area haha. BTW, which country club is that, it looks like that one on bollinger right before club sport. Maybe ill see you around man. Later
Old 08-17-2005, 03:41 AM

Hi PrsnBenz, yes, you were were seeing the dealers driving the cars around for this training session. Event wasn't held at a dealership, it was at "The Bridges" country club in San Ramon... on Gale Ridge Rd. off Bolllinger Canyon.
--josh
Old 09-02-2005, 09:18 PM

05' C230 Kompressor SS Mars Red 6speed--1990 300D 5speed
looks really nice
Old 09-09-2005, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
looking good! btw one of the threads in this forum mentioned that the interior quality isn't really up to scratch - what did you think, overall? besides the plastic cupholders?

i WAS hoping merc would really teach audi a thing or two this time ("spend another $10 and people will pay another $100") but looks like it's not gonna happen here - or am i wrong :P
Old 09-09-2005, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ruykava
looking good! btw one of the threads in this forum mentioned that the interior quality isn't really up to scratch - what did you think, overall? besides the plastic cupholders?

i WAS hoping merc would really teach audi a thing or two this time ("spend another $10 and people will pay another $100") but looks like it's not gonna happen here - or am i wrong :P
Yes, there was one negative response to the plastic and leather interior. But that is the only negative comment I have seen on the interior...all the professional reviews and comments by others have been very complimentary. The person who made the comment did add in a later remark "that perhaps he had his expectations too high." He was used to the S Class quality interiors so it may not a problem.

I have yet to see a real live one and it is getting close to my delivery date in middle October. From what I have read and seen in pictures...I feel pretty good about the R Class product and it's quality features.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:27 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Yes, there was one negative response to the plastic and leather interior. But that is the only negative comment I have seen on the interior...all the professional reviews and comments by others have been very complimentary. The person who made the comment did add in a later remark "that perhaps he had his expectations too high." He was used to the S Class quality interiors so it may not a problem.

I have yet to see a real live one and it is getting close to my delivery date in middle October. From what I have read and seen in pictures...I feel pretty good about the R Class product and it's quality features.
I'm also curious as to what others think of the interior. I went to look at the R again and the interior still bothers me especially at $70k. Why shouldn't it be up to S Class standards at that price? Also, keep in mind that the original ML320 was SUV of the year in many publications. Doesn't say much about initial magazine reviews does it?

I don't want to sound overly critical because I do like the idea and I think for the most part it's a great looking vehicle.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by G55K
I'm also curious as to what others think of the interior. I went to look at the R again and the interior still bothers me especially at $70k. Why shouldn't it be up to S Class standards at that price? Also, keep in mind that the original ML320 was SUV of the year in many publications. Doesn't say much about initial magazine reviews does it?

I don't want to sound overly critical because I do like the idea and I think for the most part it's a great looking vehicle.
I really don't think comparing the interior of the R Class with the S Class is a fair comparison. At $70K for the R500 you are talking about a loaded car. A loaded S500 will top $100K, so you are talking $30K difference. Also, there has to be a difference in quality levels or why even have them. I would like the perforated leather I have in my E rather than the leather in the R but it's not available...I can live with that based on the total package.

I agree that reviewers make mistakes but the reviews so far have been overwhelming in the direction of top quality materials (a few minor items not so) and excellent fit and finish. But individual likes and dislikes of customers will vary from "ugly" to "fantastic." So it is all in the eyes of the beholder.

The fact that you think the R is "great looking" and were pleased with the performance reinforces my choice as a good one. You are conscious of good quality
and are exact in your choices....a big plus in your comments for me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Pics of 5 Rs seen today!