R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

MBUSA Response on Volume Controls

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 05:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche
Originally Posted by StapleGun
Quality on the new "R" class is sub-par much like most new Benzes and absolutely hideous....unfortunately. Pacifica is what came to my mind!

Exactly.. Even though the R-class shares nothing with the Pacifica, they are the same type of vehicle.. A friend of mine just bought a loaded Pacifica Limited (which stickered at $41K) for $32K.. That's a lot of car for $32K. There was nothing wrong with the Pacifica, but there just isn't a market for it here.
Eric...
Old 01-16-2008, 04:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche
Originally Posted by EKaru
You and I both know this as car enthusiasts, however the majority of America will not, which is why it will be an utter failure.... unfortunately... $73K for a car that resembles the Pacifica, which has failed so miserably in this market is risky... You can't deny that...
Eric...

I knew I was right about this car......

That the R-Class has not been the most successful vehicle in the history of Mercedes-Benz is no big secret, but after staunchly espousing its virtues for year, the automaker has finally admitted it. And as any recovering addict could tell you, admitting you have a problem is the first step on the long road to recovery.
Mercedes had pegged production of the crossover at its Vance, Alabama, plant at 50,000 units annually, with half of that staying in the United States. Last year, however, American dealerships sold only 18,000 units. According to Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche, the R-Class "has definitely not lived up to our original plans."

Mercedes is planning a replacement for R-Class, and while it could retain the same big CUV/wagon set-up, the next R is more likely to take another format altogether. Mercedes biggest competitor at BMW, meanwhile, is evidently thinking otherwise with the X6 crossover it just unveiled yesterday.
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/0...ilure
Old 01-17-2008, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
First time I've seen anything about a replacement for the R. I'm guessing it won't be a replacement and more like a massaging of the current R. Too much money in doing a new from the ground up car when they are already knee deep in a new SLK a GLK and a new E class. Not to mention variations of the new C and a refresh of the ML, to throw in another vehicle in a short time span seems unrealistic. I would love to see the R stay the same basic shape, but take on a new front end thats more in line with the other products in the Benz lineup. Honestly a new front end, some wheel upgrades and some basic interior upgrades and I think it would sell much better in the states, probably double the amount sold in one year easily. The ML isn't the sharpest looking SUV in the segment, but because its a Benz, Benz followers still chose it over the competition, so making the R more resemble other Mercedes products could do wonders for its sales figures.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 E430 SE, '02 Avalanche Z66, '06 R-350
Originally Posted by AutoSaurus
So there are no wireless headphones that come with this pkg?
I know this is old, but FYI my R has wirelss headphones, 2 of them.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
The R is no where as nice as the vehicles MB produces out of Germany. Everything looks fake or GM'ish...just seems cheap. my opinion.

I do want to say though i would take this over a van, or truck. looks more classy, and the Pacifica is Chrysler, I rather just throw my money at watching 2 heroin addicts fight over a dirty needle.