R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Test Drove an R500 Today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 07:05 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Test Drove an R500 Today

Let me start by saying that I was looking forward to this vehicle as it seemed the perfect choice for my wife and 3 children.

Our local MB dealership received a loaded black R500 on Friday so I stopped by today to take it for a spin. It's a nice driving vehicle and the 5L engine has plenty of power. The suspension setting is much tighter than I expected and not near as nice as my S Class. It drives small which is a good thing, you don't feel as if you're driving a large vehicle. I do like the exterior, it's different but in a good way. The interior is a major disapointment IMO. The middle row seats are not very comfortable and do not have nearly enough head room. I'm 6'4" and could not sit up straight. I'd need to be rushed to a chiropractor after an hour in these middle seats. The back seats are much smaller than I expected. Two adults back there for any amount of time could be considered cruel and unusual punishment. The quality of the interior also felt cheap. Lots of hard plastic and low grade leather. It did not feel like I was sitting in a $67,000 vehicle.

I'm torn. My wife will have to decide. It did not live up to my expectations. Also, anyone who claims that this is not a minivan (not neccessarily a bad thing) is kidding themselves. In summary: Big let down and hugely overpriced.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
What dealer would this be?
Old 09-07-2005, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Im taking it that it is World Wide Motors in Indianapolis
Old 09-07-2005, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by G55K
Let me start by saying that I was looking forward to this vehicle as it seemed the perfect choice for my wife and 3 children.

Our local MB dealership received a loaded black R500 on Friday so I stopped by today to take it for a spin. It's a nice driving vehicle and the 5L engine has plenty of power. The suspension setting is much tighter than I expected and not near as nice as my S Class. It drives small which is a good thing, you don't feel as if you're driving a large vehicle. I do like the exterior, it's different but in a good way. The interior is a major disapointment IMO. The middle row seats are not very comfortable and do not have nearly enough head room. I'm 6'4" and could not sit up straight. I'd need to be rushed to a chiropractor after an hour in these middle seats. The back seats are much smaller than I expected. Two adults back there for any amount of time could be considered cruel and unusual punishment. The quality of the interior also felt cheap. Lots of hard plastic and low grade leather. It did not feel like I was sitting in a $67,000 vehicle.

I'm torn. My wife will have to decide. It did not live up to my expectations. Also, anyone who claims that this is not a minivan (not neccessarily a bad thing) is kidding themselves. In summary: Big let down and hugely overpriced.
WOW...you just let some air out of my balloon!

The points you make about the seat comfort and headroom and poor quality materials on the interior seem to clash with all the reviews by the auto magazines. Comparing the interior quality to your S Class may have some effect on those comments, but certainly disappointing. I am not being critical of your comments and as a customer would tend to see your view as opposed to theirs. I hope I see more first hand reports.

As far as what to call it or whether it is a mininvan makes no difference really. It is how it drives and what your senses detect while in the car.

I intend to call my local dealer (not my buying dealer) today and see if they have their demo yet.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Murray Motors in CO.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
WOW...you just let some air out of my balloon!

The points you make about the seat comfort and headroom and poor quality materials on the interior seem to clash with all the reviews by the auto magazines. Comparing the interior quality to your S Class may have some effect on those comments, but certainly disappointing. I am not being critical of your comments and as a customer would tend to see your view as opposed to theirs. I hope I see more first hand reports.

As far as what to call it or whether it is a mininvan makes no difference really. It is how it drives and what your senses detect while in the car.

I intend to call my local dealer (not my buying dealer) today and see if they have their demo yet.
Maybe I set my expectations too high. My wife's lease on her LX470 is amost up and I was hoping that this was going to be the replacement as I have a bad case of SUV burnout. I like the idea of the R but I did not feel like I was sitting in a $70k vehicle. The interior quality of the Lexus and Land Rover LR3 are superior to the R and are also in the running. The interior quality and headroom surprised me as I expected better. I really want to like it and have not ruled it out yet, I'm going to let my wife decide. Let me know your thoughts after you check out your dealers demo.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Thanks for the update. I have no desire to buy a "truck" looking SUV and that is why I would not consider the Lexus, Cadillac, Land Rover, etc. It is the R Class or I stay with the E until the new S350 or CDI arrives. I really want the features of the R Class and hope when I see one for real it will not turn me off. I called this morning and still no demo at Fletcher Jones in LV. I will definitely post some comments when I see one of these things...:-)
Old 09-16-2005, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
i drove an R500 yesterday for ****s and giggles when i stopped by my dealership to check out a car. the car was over in the prep center so my sales guy let me pick out a car to drive over there. ive driven all the 55's and 65's before but never the R.

it was cool i guess, maybe if i was older. it felt like i was inside a minivan.
i asked who the demographic of this thing was geared towards thinking he would say married couple, 30-40's with 2 kids or some **** and he said mid to late 50's. also i noticed the rear doors are huge and thought a little kid might have a hard time opening/closing them but are they are actually very light.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:18 PM

none
I checked out the R class demo at my dealer and wasnt too impressed with the interior.
The materials used throughout it have a very cheap feel to them.
The outside is not too bad, I think a nice set of wheels would make it look very sporty.
I guess it fills a void in the "I dont want a minivan but need room crowd"...