R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Major fault of the R Class - First drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E320 Sedan
Major fault of the R Class - First drive

Pulled up to the service bay today to have a flat repaired and out comes Ron (NevedaJack and my sales rep) in a new R500 Pewter/Black. What luck! It was awesome looking. He had a big grin on his face. I immediately handed over my keys to service and jumped in for a ride with Ron to run a few errands. It never fails that when he and I got out for a test drive we seem to find trouble and we did this time too but I'll save that story for another day....The R still had plastic in the seats and was filthy but we headed to the gas station where we encountered not one but three problems! This thing draws attention and attention in a big way. I've driven many new cars of various styles but I have never attracted so much attention as this thing did pulling up at a gas station. Remember these people just came through the worst natural diaster in US history so new cars is not the first thing on their minds. While Ron was paying I had a couple come up and open the door to look around. Another stared at me and the car while I was pumping the gas and yet another asked about it while Ron paid inside. It was amazing. Oh yea, the test drive? It was great. This is color combo was the best I've seen and indentical to my ML350. Tons of room on the inside for 1st and 2nd row. 3rd isn't as big as I had hoped but then again my other vehicle is a Sienna. If I had the $. I'd own one today. And it is big, very big! Sharp car and definately going to be a long waiting list as they start to hit the streets.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by AutoSaurus
Pulled up to the service bay today to have a flat repaired and out comes Ron (NevedaJack and my sales rep) in a new R500 Pewter/Black. What luck! It was awesome looking. He had a big grin on his face. I immediately handed over my keys to service and jumped in for a ride with Ron to run a few errands. It never fails that when he and I got out for a test drive we seem to find trouble and we did this time too but I'll save that story for another day....The R still had plastic in the seats and was filthy but we headed to the gas station where we encountered not one but three problems! This thing draws attention and attention in a big way. I've driven many new cars of various styles but I have never attracted so much attention as this thing did pulling up at a gas station. Remember these people just came through the worst natural diaster in US history so new cars is not the first thing on their minds. While Ron was paying I had a couple come up and open the door to look around. Another stared at me and the car while I was pumping the gas and yet another asked about it while Ron paid inside. It was amazing. Oh yea, the test drive? It was great. This is color combo was the best I've seen and indentical to my ML350. Tons of room on the inside for 1st and 2nd row. 3rd isn't as big as I had hoped but then again my other vehicle is a Sienna. If I had the $. I'd own one today. And it is big, very big! Sharp car and definately going to be a long waiting list as they start to hit the streets.
Hey Jack...make sure Ron does a "Detailing" on my white R500 when it arrives...no test drives though...:-)
Old 09-20-2005, 05:27 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by AutoSaurus
No need to worry about a waiting list. If you can't find one yet me know. Our dealership has the free world's supply inbound with very few deposits. They're making a bizillion of these things.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:08 PM
MKW

08 GL450
The three dealers I went to all have 50% or more of their first three months allocations unsold- there doesn't seem to be any " pent up anticipation " for these compared to the MLs in '97/'98. So that should be good from a price negotiation standpoint. Like "invoice plus" rather than "MSRP minus" much sooner than later , I predict !

Last edited by MKW; 09-20-2005 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by MKW
The three dealers I went to all have 50% or more of their first three months allocations unsold- there doesn't seem to be any " pent up anticipation " for these compared to the MLs in '97/'98. So that should be good from a price negotiation standpoint. Like "invoice plus" rather than "MSRP minus" much sooner than later , I predict !
I think this is because there had been no media blitz yet...once this floodgate opens then I think you will see some major interest. Also, once they are on the street the interest will be raised.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:05 PM
MKW

08 GL450
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I think this is because there had been no media blitz yet...once this floodgate opens then I think you will see some major interest. Also, once they are on the street the interest will be raised.
Part of it is that it's not a "macho" car ( typical early adapter internet-info- mining car nut) , which drives initial demand often. In fact , MBZ's mkt research shows that the Chrysler Pacifica ( 55% ) has more male drivers than the R class will have( 50 %) .