R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Bought the R500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought the R500

Well guys I finally bought the R500 in Pewter with Macadamia interior for my wife. She previously drove the Audi Allroad and it was too small for our 5 year old, 2 year old, and 4 month old (try putting in 2 full carseats and a booster seat into one row, arghh). But we did love and enjoy the car when the family was smaller. Some of the posts stated that the fit and finish was not on par with a 70k car; and I must sadly agree. The Audi had better overall interior fit and finish for a car 20k cheaper (and so many standard features that are options on the R, ie. xenons, heated front and back seats, variable suspension, etc). If the Q7 was out, we would have seriously considered it. However, we did need a new car now. We did not want a mini-van, although highly practicle.

I don't think the fit and finish is bad. It's actually good, however I feel it should be sooo much better than the Audi, given the money.

Now to some good notes. The R500 has a solid ride with plenty of power. 0 to 60 in 6.7 seconds is not bad for this weight and size of a car, and passing cars is a breeze. The R350 was just too weak. The car is cavernous with plenty of room for our growing kids. The tail end is tight on space, but we can fit a Maclaren double stroller in it (we are planning on getting a roof rack for a storage bin and ski clips for long trips). My wife and I think the 2nd row seat mechanism makes access to the 3rd row easier than any minivan (beats getting into the 2nd row and reaching over to the 3rd row to put on seat belts for the kids in mini-vans). The separate 2nd and 3rd row climate control is great, given that my wife is always concerned about the kids being cold or over-heated. I-pod integration kit is great and is a must. I am having a rear head-rest entertainment system made that will look like the one on delayed availability, but will have wireless headsets and still provide complete i-pod functionality (apparently i-pod integration is not available is you get the MB DVD system). Also the DVDs will be within the monitor and not down below on the 2nd row console. God, I feel like I'm rambling.

Now for some of you guys. My partners all loved the car. They all have kids and their wives drive Suburbans, Lexus LXs, Range Rover, and a Pacifica. My partner with the Pacifica said that other than the "idea" of a 6-seater, there is really nothing similar about the 2 cars. We all went to Spanish Bay at Pebble Beach for dinner. From the valet attendants to hotel guests, they all had great comments about the car. In fact they parked it right out front of the entrance. On the highway, I was averaging about 21 mpg...could be better, but not bad. Our Audi got about 24 for a V6 twin turbo.

All in all, we are thus far very happy with this car. My only "major" complaint, why does MB have to be so elitist about their own car-phone system. Can't they see that Blue-tooth is a must for any new car coming out. There are so many great cellphones and PDA phones out there other than Motorola.

Hopefully this info helps. You did want real owners to post, right?
Old 10-31-2005, 08:54 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm in the same situation as you, three little ones all in car seats. I also need to buy my wife a new car soon as her Ford Expedition's lease is almost done. My biggest concern is the storage space for long trips when the whole crew is on board. We have a house up in the mountains and going skiing almost every weekend. Do you think there is enough luggage space for 5 people for a long weekend? I really would like to avoid getting another SUV but I'm concerned about the lack of storage space in the R. I hope you don't mind me asking but did they discount the R500 or did you have to pay MSRP? Congrats on your new vehicle.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by ccoh
Well guys I finally bought the R500 in Pewter with Macadamia interior for my wife. She previously drove the Audi Allroad and it was too small for our 5 year old, 2 year old, and 4 month old (try putting in 2 full carseats and a booster seat into one row, arghh). But we did love and enjoy the car when the family was smaller. Some of the posts stated that the fit and finish was not on par with a 70k car; and I must sadly agree. The Audi had better overall interior fit and finish for a car 20k cheaper (and so many standard features that are options on the R, ie. xenons, heated front and back seats, variable suspension, etc). If the Q7 was out, we would have seriously considered it. However, we did need a new car now. We did not want a mini-van, although highly practicle.

I don't think the fit and finish is bad. It's actually good, however I feel it should be sooo much better than the Audi, given the money.

Now to some good notes. The R500 has a solid ride with plenty of power. 0 to 60 in 6.7 seconds is not bad for this weight and size of a car, and passing cars is a breeze. The R350 was just too weak. The car is cavernous with plenty of room for our growing kids. The tail end is tight on space, but we can fit a Maclaren double stroller in it (we are planning on getting a roof rack for a storage bin and ski clips for long trips). My wife and I think the 2nd row seat mechanism makes access to the 3rd row easier than any minivan (beats getting into the 2nd row and reaching over to the 3rd row to put on seat belts for the kids in mini-vans). The separate 2nd and 3rd row climate control is great, given that my wife is always concerned about the kids being cold or over-heated. I-pod integration kit is great and is a must. I am having a rear head-rest entertainment system made that will look like the one on delayed availability, but will have wireless headsets and still provide complete i-pod functionality (apparently i-pod integration is not available is you get the MB DVD system). Also the DVDs will be within the monitor and not down below on the 2nd row console. God, I feel like I'm rambling.

Now for some of you guys. My partners all loved the car. They all have kids and their wives drive Suburbans, Lexus LXs, Range Rover, and a Pacifica. My partner with the Pacifica said that other than the "idea" of a 6-seater, there is really nothing similar about the 2 cars. We all went to Spanish Bay at Pebble Beach for dinner. From the valet attendants to hotel guests, they all had great comments about the car. In fact they parked it right out front of the entrance. On the highway, I was averaging about 21 mpg...could be better, but not bad. Our Audi got about 24 for a V6 twin turbo.

All in all, we are thus far very happy with this car. My only "major" complaint, why does MB have to be so elitist about their own car-phone system. Can't they see that Blue-tooth is a must for any new car coming out. There are so many great cellphones and PDA phones out there other than Motorola.

Hopefully this info helps. You did want real owners to post, right?
Congratulations on the new R500. It is so good to read a thread by someone who owns one and can provide validated positive (and negative) input. Your DVD setup sounds great.

BTW on the phone situation...I understand that by Spring (March or so) they will have a BT cradle arrangement and integration accessory. This was posted on the ML board sometime ago and I don't have any more specifics but you may want to do some searching. My dealer did not have a clue.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is the thread on that Bluetooth Kit...

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ight=Bluetooth
Old 10-31-2005, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1963 220Sb
Congrats on the purchase, and post some pics when you get a chance....

When you say fit and finish isn't as good as your audi, in what places did you notice this? Is it also the materials used or just the fit of them?

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2005, 11:59 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Thanks for posting; some Q's

Congrats on your purchase! I have awaited the arrival of my own R which i spec'd before the actual options list was available. Now i find myself with the car having arrived, not having a couple of things i want, and wondering what to do. I definitely want an R, and it will be a 350 simply because i can give up the extra oomf for the $$$ (and i think the 350 is ok).

It is spec'd as follows:
Black/macadamia, premium pkg, htg. pkg, comfort pkg., trim pkg., sirius, multi-contour, second row console, and lists for $60,145.

If i had seen the options list, i would have spec'd Parktronic (which my wife has on her current 210 wagon), Xenon (also have on the wagon), rear side bags (WTF Mercedes-more in a bit), 3-zone climate (another WTF), and possibly Airmatic.

Is there any good argument out there as to why one would CHOOSE not to have side airbags in the rear (I am not one of those paranoid of airbags)-i figure with my kids' Britax carseats they would only be additional safety/protection-can anyone tell me why i should be okay NOT HAVING THEM? (MB should raise the price of the car by the darn $385 and include them, IMHO).

Parktronic and Xenon I have but could probably live without, although the R is very large (larger than my current Tahoe). Airmatic, I've never had and never driven, so i don't know-i certainly think the regular R's I have driven ride just fine, so i'm probably okay without that too.

On the subject of 3-zone, I can't believe they would put three standard rows of seats and leave the 3rd row additional vents as OPTIONAL-I mean, i don't give a flip about a separate thermostatic ZONE, but the vents almost seem cruel if not in place-and yes, i'll have passengers riding back there often...

So now i'm trying to decide whether to PO the dealer (who is great, this will be 4th vehicle from them in 6 six years), and tell them to find me another black R350 with the extras.

I'm also having trouble knowing how to deal on the car-i've heard differing stories and would love to know what you paid for the R500- (as usual they're killing me on the trade value, but i wonder whether 4-5% off MSRP is a reasonable expectation). BTW, NC dealer, not huge, but not small by any means.

Thanks again for posting your "ownership" experiences; i will read anything else you post with enthusiasm; rest assured you are not rambling (I did enough of that here).
Old 10-31-2005, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would include the Parktronic (for the reasons stated-large and wife already used to it) and the Xenons. I agree the vents in the 3rd row should be standard in the two zone but the 3 zone option also includes additional sensors which may make that big interior more even in temps. I would ask him to find a trade or order another one.

The side airbags issue (I think) relates to conflicts with EU models not having rear bags so they offer it as a pay option for the US. I agree...raise the price and put it in all the US models. There are window bags on both side as standard.

My initial deal was $1000 over the factory invoice and that held until I cancelled the deal. Depends on the dealer...you are a great customer for him so I would think he should be very liberal with the discount.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:53 AM

As far as fit and finish is concerned: (1) the plastic parts to the second row seats by the release lever feel like "snap-on" parts with excess seepage of molding around the edges. (2) very plasticky cup-holders. (3) ceiling handles show the metal piece hinge. (4) i wish the second row seats didn't make a "dwing" type noise when it clicks into place. The Audi just seemed to be a seamless intergration of interior parts, whereas the R does not.

I paid 2k over invoice and pretty much had every option except the AMG package and rear airbags. Given that this is our first MB I probably didn't get as good a deal as some of you others.

I agree with Nevada Jack, that parktronic is a must for this car. Also with the 2 kids and a newborn, the Keyless Go option was a must for us. I wasn't concerned about the rear airbags because my kids tend to sleep leaning on the door. We haven't gone on a long trip yet, but as I said, my plan is to purchase a roof rack system with a bin and also put one seat down for more storage space.

I just turned in the car today to have the DVD headrests done. It'll take about 2 days. Will post pics when ready.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:57 AM

BTW thanks for the blue-tooth info.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ccoh
As far as fit and finish is concerned: (1) the plastic parts to the second row seats by the release lever feel like "snap-on" parts with excess seepage of molding around the edges. (2) very plasticky cup-holders. (3) ceiling handles show the metal piece hinge. (4) i wish the second row seats didn't make a "dwing" type noise when it clicks into place. The Audi just seemed to be a seamless intergration of interior parts, whereas the R does not.

I paid 2k over invoice and pretty much had every option except the AMG package and rear airbags. Given that this is our first MB I probably didn't get as good a deal as some of you others.

I agree with Nevada Jack, that parktronic is a must for this car. Also with the 2 kids and a newborn, the Keyless Go option was a must for us. I wasn't concerned about the rear airbags because my kids tend to sleep leaning on the door. We haven't gone on a long trip yet, but as I said, my plan is to purchase a roof rack system with a bin and also put one seat down for more storage space.

I just turned in the car today to have the DVD headrests done. It'll take about 2 days. Will post pics when ready.
Sounds like you have a great package and with that custom DVD/TV, it should be a knockout. 2K off of a brand new model at a MB dealer is a pretty good deal. The quotes of at or below invoice are rare for new "niche" cars I think.

Enjoy and I will be looking for pics on the TV install....
Old 11-02-2005, 01:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Sounds like you have a great package and with that custom DVD/TV, it should be a knockout. 2K off of a brand new model at a MB dealer is a pretty good deal. The quotes of at or below invoice are rare for new "niche" cars I think.

Enjoy and I will be looking for pics on the TV install....

He said $2K over invoice...
Eric...
Old 11-02-2005, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My typo...I meant to say $2K over invoice...
Old 11-06-2005, 08:20 PM

Finally got a few pictures. My wife and kids are really enjoying the car. So far the kids are more interested in the panaromic roof and guessing animal shapes in the clouds than watching a dvd. go figure. Thus far no problems with the car and we've had it for just over 3 weeks now.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:39 PM

1963 220Sb
I went to the dealer and noticed some of the same things you noticed especially the ping noise when the second row seat locks into place. I definetly did not like that. I am just not convinced of the material they use on the doors and dash, it seemed a little rougher and not as nice as the material used in the ML.

Congrats though, and where are the pics??????
Old 11-07-2005, 03:56 AM

Sorry about the pics. I needed to resize the images.
Attached Thumbnails Bought the R500-november.2005-048.jpg   Bought the R500-november.2005-049.jpg   Bought the R500-november.2005-050.jpg   Bought the R500-november.2005-051.jpg  
Old 11-07-2005, 09:00 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Dvd

Who mfg'd your DVD system/how much was it? I like the idea of dual players as well as screens, and i like NOT having the player in the bottom of the console. Would hope your price for 2 was less than the $3000 MBUSA wants when it releases the factory model.

Sweet car, btw, glad you're enjoying...
Old 11-07-2005, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOOKS GREAT! Enjoy it in good health.

Nice TV install also...also like the fact that the disk can be inserted at the unit and not "under" the center console.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:41 AM

2000 CLK 320
Jealous

Great looking rig. This is all making me jealous as I wait to hear my build date.

I am likely to investigate an aftermarket dvd as well, as I want ipod and the dual disk capability. Friends who've had it done have said the technology is as good or better than the OEM sets.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by albellenchia
Great looking rig. This is all making me jealous as I wait to hear my build date.

I am likely to investigate an aftermarket dvd as well, as I want ipod and the dual disk capability. Friends who've had it done have said the technology is as good or better than the OEM sets.
When I was at the dealer last week getting my wood shifter installed, they had a stand-up ad for Headrest TV and it was by Innovision. Looked quite nice and had all the features of wireless earphones, disk install at the unit, etc. I did not check any further but you might want to check that install out.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:54 AM

1963 220Sb
Thanks so much for the pics! Looks excellent! What type of storage does the middle seat console have and is it removable?
Old 11-07-2005, 11:12 AM

2000 CLK 320
console

The second row console is both removable and adjustable (has 2 positions.) It is light and easy to remove. The storage is ok, not great. But with my two beats, it will be good enuf to keep stuff off the floor.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:06 PM

All in all, it cost me 3k. That included 4 wireless headsets. You can actually load a DVD into each player and watch either DVD on both monitors or watch each separately. It also has an "off/on" switch on the remote for the FM modulator so it doesn't interfere with your local radio stations. The kids in the 3rd row have no problems seeing the monitors up front. I-pod integration kit is fully functional. The monitors are by Audiovox. The casing was custom molded by my installer. So far so good.