R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

MB R350 vs. Audi Q7 4.4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 09:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)
MB R350 vs. Audi Q7 4.4

Has Anyone test-driven the Q7 before you bought the R-Class?

I test drove the 4.4 Q7 today and definitely have some mix feelings. I have been shopping for a R350 for more than a month now and am currently working with my dealer to get me the car.

Here are some of my after-thoughts:

Exterior
Advantage: Q7 - Very agressive looking and definitely nicer front end. The standard 18" wheel is also very nice and has lesser wheel gap than the R350. Look at it in person, I definitely think it is one of the nicest looking SUV out there today and is also much better looking than my X5.

Interior
Advantage: Tie - The quality of the material is about the same but it seems like the Audi layout is a lot more refined. On the other hand, not sure what Audi is thinking but the Q7 uses some "industrial/office" looking barber carpet and it looks absolutely horrible. One thing did surprise me is the Q7's second row leg room "almost" as long as the R. The third row is a joke however and I don't believe adults can even get to the third row seats due to the tiny space.

Handling:
Advantage: R350 - Q7 probably is the worst handling European car that I have ever driven and it reminds me my first 1987 Ford Taurus. No road feel ... YIKE!!

Power:
Advantage: R350 - Q7 has a 4.4V8 but I don't feel like it provides better power than the R350. I am sure the R500 will blow that thing away. Total disappointment.

Gas Mileage:
Advantage: R350 - MPG 14/18 (Q7)

Price:
Advantage: Q7 - With the base MSRP of $39K, Q7 is about the same price as the heavy discount R350. However, the options of the Q7 are much more advanced and refined than the R350, so Q is definitely provided better value than the R.

Conclusion - I am not super impressed with the overall Q7 but definitely fall in love with the exterior. Seriously, I think Q7 is better comparsion to the GL than the R since they are most likely serving the some target customers. In the mean time, I definitely will wait for the new Q7 3.6 that is coming out in 3 weeks.

http://microsites.audiusa.com/AudiQ7/html/flash.html

Last edited by supernsx; 07-22-2006 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:11 AM
fq1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by supernsx
Has Anyone test-driven the Q7 before you bought the R-Class?

I test drove the 4.4 Q7 today and definitely have some mix feelings. I have been shopping for a R350 for more than a month now and am currently working with my dealer to get me the car.

Here are some of my after-thoughts:

Exterior
Advantage: Q7 - Very agressive looking and definitely nicer front end. The standard 18" wheel is also very nice and has lesser wheel gap than the R350. Look at it in person, I definitely think it is one of the nicest looking SUV out there today and is also much better looking than my X5.

Interior
Advantage: Tie - The quality of the material is about the same but it seems like the Audi layout is a lot more refined. On the other hand, not sure what Audi is thinking but the Q7 uses some "industrial/office" looking barber carpet and it looks absolutely horrible. One thing did surprise me is the Q7's second row leg room "almost" as long as the R. The third row is a joke however and I don't believe adults can even get to the third row seats due to the tiny space.

Handling:
Advantage: R350 - Q7 probably is the worst handling European car that I have ever driven and it reminds me my first 1987 Ford Taurus. No road feel ... YIKE!!

Power:
Advantage: R350 - Q7 has a 4.4V8 but I don't feel like it provides better power than the R350. I am sure the R500 will blow that thing away. Total disappointment.

Gas Mileage:
Advantage: R350 - MPG 14/18 (Q7)

Price:
Advantage: Q7 - With the base MSRP of $39K, Q7 is about the same price as the heavy discount R350. However, the options of the Q7 are much more advanced and refined than the R350, so Q is definitely provided better value than the R.

Conclusion - I am not super impressed with the overall Q7 but definitely fall in love with the exterior. Seriously, I think Q7 is better comparsion to the GL than the R since they are most likely serving the some target customers. In the mean time, I definitely will wait for the new Q7 3.6 that is coming out in 3 weeks.

http://microsites.audiusa.com/AudiQ7/html/flash.html
I have driven the Q7 and like it slightly better than you do. However, I agree with you in most respects. The interior quality and "classiness" (if one can call it that) is significantly superior in the Q7 over the R. But for my purposes, the R blows the Q7 out of the water. The R is a true 6-seater with vastly superior comfort to the Q7. Driving dynamics wise, neither is a BMW, but the R is much better in my opinion. I would even go as far as saying that it is closer to my early 90s 7-series than some other sporty-wannabe vehicles I have driven recently.

If I wanted to get a true 4-seat (comfortably) high-roof hatchback, I would stick to my X3 (which is the best driving dynamics SUV-type vehicle this side of a Cayenne Turbo).

For anyone looking to seat more than 4 people comfortably in a vehicle, the R cannot be beaten. The thing that lets it down is the exterior looks, which can be somewhat overcome if one goes with a lighter color. I think the white is the best color in the R and that is what I was going to get but it lacked Airmatic and Keylessgo. Then the dealer found a Barolo Red with all my required options and that's the one I am getting. Hope to pick it up next week.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:37 AM
Almost a Member!

I agreed...........

so far I have not seen any pics on white R....can somebody post it?
Old 07-25-2006, 04:13 PM

C230K, downgrade :(
I like the styling of the R personally much better than the Q7, It seems more appealing to me I guess..
Old 07-26-2006, 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
The R is definitely the most color sensitive model in MB's current lineup. Darker colors just make it look too much like a van or dare I say hearse. Pewter, Alpine Rain, White, and certain greys make it look much better, especially if you get the AMG pack. I like the R's look myself, but only with the larger wheels and/or the AMG pack. With the small wheels and darker colors it looks quite goofy, if not ugly to most.

M