R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

2007 R320 Purchase Due to Cancelled Order

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 R320
2007 R320 Purchase Due to Cancelled Order

Hi I am a very "newbie" to the group and have been following your posts in the R-class ang GL-class in the last couple months.

I bought a new '07 R-320 CDI, Alabaster White, Macademia MB Tex, Premium Package II, RES Headrest DVDs Package, Bi-Xenon Light Package, Front Heated Seats, MSRP $58,050, Paid well below invoice. Special 2.9% was also available as the paper work was done on 2/28. Drove the car home on 3/01.

I started out ordering an R320 with less options but the order was cancelled / lost / converted to 2008 model !!! Last week I went to discuss my HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT with the dealership's GM as well as contacting MBUSA in New Jersey. For compensation, dealership and MBUSA offered 2-3 options of on the lot models (better equipped options) for same aggreed price on the custom order car that was "lost".

So I am now extremely happy with the deal and the car so far, only 200 miles of acquaintance driving with family (wife and 3 kids). I'll post pics of this beautiful car, after I wash the car hopefully this weekend.

Happy R320 new owner, Ashburn, Virginia.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 R320 CDI
RDriver, thanks for the post. I am considering purchasing an R320 myself and your info is helpful. I want to take advantage of the 2.9% (still effective) and purchase below invoice. Can you please tell me what price you paid and how much below invoice it was? I have to first sell my 06 E320 CDI that is loaded with only 3100 miles on it with the inline 6. Would you recommend going for the R? I'd appreciate your response. Thanks!
Old 03-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 R320 CDI
RDriver, I forgot to ask what dealership you purchased from. Maybe I need to come to VA to get a good deal on an R!
Old 03-06-2007, 03:20 PM

2007 R320
Originally Posted by cdisam
RDriver, thanks for the post. I am considering purchasing an R320 myself and your info is helpful. I want to take advantage of the 2.9% (still effective) and purchase below invoice. Can you please tell me what price you paid and how much below invoice it was? I have to first sell my 06 E320 CDI that is loaded with only 3100 miles on it with the inline 6. Would you recommend going for the R? I'd appreciate your response. Thanks!
Sam -

Finally I run into someone who's exciting about the RClass. As you can tell, I am one of those who loves this car. Otherwise I would not have bought one.

I started out looking at minivans (Odyssey, Sienna, Quest) for my family (me, wife, and 3 kids). For the vans if fully loaded, they will be low to mid $30K'ish after negotiating/discounting (and not AWD, which I desired). I then researched and test drove luxury SUVs and Wagons/Vans (MDX, GX470, X5, Touareg, Q7, and MB's GL and R). Once, I tried out the luxury options, I couldn't go back to the minivans!

The best bank for the bucks was the RClass, IMO. Once I nailed down on the RClass, the next question was gas versus diesel / R350 vs R320? After more research into the diesel and its associated pros and cons with the ULSF diesel availability, I was firmed on the 320 CDI options. This means R320 vs. GL320? Due to money, I can only afford an RClass (remember my low-to-mid $30K minivan budget that I started out with). And the RClass to me offers the best interior of all the luxury cars that I listed and test drove (all of them). Driving and handling is also right at the top with all those cars mentioned, as long as you dont have a heavy-foot driving habbit. An RClass when combined with a close to 30's mpg was the MAIN DECISON Factor for me. You've been driving an E320 CDI, so you know what high gas mileage can do for you. It has gotten to be sweet.

So, bottom line is . . . YES, I would recommend an RClass, especially R320 so that you dont suffer on poor 15/17 mpg on premium gas. You still have to tradeoff the shortcomings in trading/selling your E320 . . . this could be a tough one.

Question for you: Have you taken a test drive on an RClass, say an R320? I mean a really, really thorough test drive? My dealership let me have an extended overnight test drive, where I put my whole family in there for some Friday night/Saturday morning outings. If you can do this, it's the BEST WAY for YOU to decide whether this is the right car for YOU and YOUR FAMILY.

Hope this helps you and others who are in the same situation. I was very much the same situation that you are in right now a month ago.

Good luck!

PS. About pricing please see my direct response to your Thread that you ask for the board opinions.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:33 PM

2007 R320
RDriver, I forgot to ask what dealership you purchased from. Maybe I need to come to VA to get a good deal on an R!
There are three MB dealers in Northern VA / DC Metro:
- HBL Tysons Corners
- ASC Arlington, VA
- ASC Alexandria, VA

There are two MB dealers in MD / DC Metro:
- Euromotorcars Germantown, MD (Gaithersburg)
- Euromotorcars Bethesda, MD (Bethesda)

HBL Tysons is recommended, if you go to VA.
Euromotorcars Germantown is recommended, if you go to MD.

I bought my car from Euromotorcars Germantown. EMC Germantown telephone is (301) 601-5500. My Sales Rep is Steve Brooks. You can tell him that Loc (who bought an R320 from him) reffered. He should be able to take good care of you.

Good Luck!
Old 03-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 R320 CDI
Did you have a trade when you purchased your R from Steve? Thanks again for your great help! I am excited about the R even though I don't have a family but I do have elderly parents that I cart around from time to time and I think the R is easier for them to get in/out of than my E. I heard it rides like a limo...beautiful!! I just need to unload this E so I can make the deal on the R. Thanks again very much!!!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:53 PM

2007 R320
No trade involved on my deal. Buying and trading typically means allowing the dealer to take you to the cleaners twice in one transaction. Sorry, can't help you much advice with trading/getting rid of your E. I speculate that you will loose big time in selling/trading your E. Loaded car and just 9 months ownership usually means big loss to seller.

I hope the R is the right car for you, if not you may have to go through this again 9 months from now. Please do yourself a favor by taking an extended test drive on the R prior to finalizing/purchasing.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:31 PM

2007 R320
. . . I want to take advantage of the 2.9% (still effective) and purchase below invoice . . . Thanks!
Sam - I dont think the 2.9% is being offered anymore. MBUSA currently shows 4.9% for up to only 48 months financing on R350, until Apr 02. I dont see anything on R320, but R350 may implies all RClass . . . i dont know.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:43 PM

05 E500 Wagon
Good luck with your new R.
Was wondering how the diesel is as far as performance. I realize that it ain't gonna run with a R500 but does it get up and go like you hoped.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:22 PM

2007 R320
Originally Posted by sammyshammy
Good luck with your new R.
Was wondering how the diesel is as far as performance. I realize that it ain't gonna run with a R500 but does it get up and go like you hoped.
Sammy -

If you read my 2-month process in car researching, testing, ordering, and finally purchasing you would have known that before selecting and negotiating on the diesel R320 I had taken multiple and thorough test drives on both the '07 R350 and R320. No, I never test drove any R500 (not 06 nor 07) as I and my wife are both gentle drivers with 3 small children that we cart them around most of the time. Therefore the R500 super performance was undesirable for us and its low gas mileage around 15 MPG was an early elimination in our selection process.

In compared to the R350, the diesel R320 lacks that takeoff kick from 0-20 mph, but once you get to the 2nd/3rd gear at 25 mph both the R350 and R320 is equally smooth riding. Once you get to the highway cruising speed (50 mph and up), the R320 is a clear winner due to its phenomenom high torque at low rpm. You can cruise the R320 on highway speed at 65 mph and the tachometer dial is somewhere between 1600 - 1800 rpm, which makes the car very smooth and quiet on the inside. The R350 at this speed of 65 mph will probably rev up to around 2800 - 3000 rpm and definitely more rumbling. Highway acceleration say from 65 mph to 85 mph, the R320 will probably be as good as the R500 because the torque on the R320 is as good or slightly higher than that of the R500 gas engine. There is no comparison on the R350 highway acceleration due to its much lower torque when compared to either the R320 or R500.

With all that said and when you think about how much the almost 30 mpg mileage that the diesel R320 can save for you, it is really hard not to consider the diesel option. That's how I ended with my R320 and love it, especially its performance.

If you hadnt bougth an R and are considering one of the R Classes (500, 350, 320), you should take extensive test drives on all of them before negotiating and buying. Try them out in all driving conditions including city driving, highway cruising/maneuvering/accelerating, and hills climbing. There should be several R models (350 and 320, few 500) at any nearby MB dealer in your area. They will love to let you test drive as long as you show serious interest.

Good luck and let us know what you'll end up with.