R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

No Deal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R320 CDI
Unhappy No Deal

Just walked away from the price my dealer offered for an '08 R320CDI. He wanted $58200 which is 3% below MSRP. I was offering $57000 which is about $1200 over invoice, so I asked for my deposit back. There are 2 more dealers in the area, so I'll see if I can get a better deal. Am I wrong for walking away, or was that a good deal considering it is a new model year and there are no dealer incentives?
Old 08-22-2007, 10:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
GLE450 Coupe and C300w4
Keep shopping. If you have options, exhaust them before deciding on something. If you find that all three dealers are within a few hundred bucks of each other, try to get as many extras out of them as possible.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:37 PM
ZLK

Keep shopping. Call dealers far and wide. I bought my '07 R320 CDI in Virginia and I live in NJ. I got a dealer demo with 800 miles on it for 5,000 below invoice. Sticker was $52,000 and I got it for $43,500. Pitt them against each other. There will be someone who has a lot of inventory and is willing to deal. It may be worth the shipping cost if you get a good deal. I can give you the name of my sales person if you like.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:33 PM

2008 R320 CDI, 2006 SLK350
This all depends on where you live. I just took delivery of a 2008 R320CDI, and I got the same discount your dealer gave. In my case, I have one dealer in my area. I could have saved some money by going to an area with multiple dealers; however, you have to weigh out the plus side of having a good relationship with your local dealer if you purchase the car from the dealer. (If you go out of the area to purchase the car, yes they will honor the warranty and do the service work. But if you should have a serious problem there will not be a lot of motivation for them to "go to bat" for you.) If you live in a large metro area with multiple dealers, then you are in a much better position to negotiate especially if you wait and let the dealers build up some 2008 inventory.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:40 PM

R320 CDI
Update

Well I called the dealer the other day to ask again for my $500 deposit back which they haven't refunded in a month. Today the sales manager called and wanted to make a deal again. My final offer was $1200 over what I estimated invoice was figuring that MSRP was about 9% over invoice. The only problem is that he claims the invoice is about $1000 over what I figured. I found a website that has invoice pricing for the 2008 model (http://www.newcars.org/trims/build/f...507&trim=52341), but the MSRP is about $600 less that what is on the Mercedes website which makes me suspect that the prices are not accurate. Anybody know anywhere else I can find invoice pricing for a 2008 R320? The dealer said he would be happy to show me the invoice numbers, but I don't want to go in without having done some research on my own.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
no offense, but this is stupid, squabbling over a few hundred on a $50k vehicle! Are you for real? I think more dealers need to start telling people go screw themselves. Believe me, if you are at that dealer vs the others there must be a reason why you are there with them in the first place, I can see you getting par service also with messing with them on it, vs the above par service most dealers give to the non complainers.

I just don't see the logic... let me help you all out in the future, if you have multiple dealers looking for a vehicle, know your credit rating before buying a vehicle. Also know your vehicle and what options. Then call, speak with sales, and tell them you are price shopping for a certain vehicle with certain options and you are looking for the best price, here is the phone number to call tomorrow with the best you can do....

now you didn't waste any time, and plus they will call you back. so someone out of the multiple dealership will have a better price, go with that person, or keep haggling and call back the other dealers and let them know you got the best offer from.... and it was $$$...

You honestly should go to another dealer, because now, they don't respect ya and know you are a pain in the **** whiner.

Just my opinion, and it is my right to have one
Old 09-23-2007, 01:57 AM

R320 CDI
What the hell is your problem? I never whined or complained. I gave them a reasonable offer they were not willing to meet so I walked away. Then a month later they call back and want to work out a deal. What would you say to a dealer that took 3 weeks to get back to you after an offer and did not refund you $500 deposit a month after you asked for it back? It is a 2008 model which I can get little information on. Believe me, I usually walk in much more well informed. So I want a good deal, what is wrong with that? Do you work for a dealer or something? Yes, it is your right to have an opinion, no matter how much of an a-hole you are, which is my opinion.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:42 AM

ML-350, Maserati Quattroporte
FL Diesel, ignore the occasional posts like the one above. Fortunately there are not too many of those on this forum. Enough said. I think you are approaching a good time of year to get a deal. If there are any 07's on the lot they should start working with you. I had a 2000 S430 that I got from an out of state dealer a few hours away and the local dealer treated me like any other customer. There is a disconnect between sales and service so it's not like you ever deal with a sales guy you blow off. The dealer we use now is always happy to service any car. Remember, they get reimbursed from MB for the work and it's a way to keep you in their loop if you get another MB.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
sounds like you were complaining my mistake that I interpreted it the wrong way. No I don't sell cars for a car dealership nor would I ever want to, I don't see the logic in going to MB dealership, BMW, or any other high-line looking for a deal.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by FL Diesel
..... I estimated invoice was figuring that MSRP was about 9% over invoice. The only problem is that he claims the invoice is about $1000 over what I figured.
Actually in most cases you will find that invoice is about 7%. Plus many dealers will add an advertising fee to that therfore making it appear less. In addition there is a 3% holdback as well as a possible 2% for good ratings. HTH
Old 09-23-2007, 03:25 PM

R320 CDI
After figuring out actual invoice, my initial offer of $57000 is just at invoice. The dealer wants $58187. Is that a fair deal? The car is already on its way, and it was custom ordered for me. Considering it is the first 2008 they are getting, I figured I may not have too much leverage to bargain with. Doing the math, dealer profit is about 1%. On one hand, I can live with that price, but on the other, it would bother me if I could have gotten a better deal, even if it is just $600 or so. Just my personality I guess. The question I have to ask myself is it worth going through the entire process again with another dealer and having to wait another 1-2 months for the car?
Old 09-24-2007, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by jbondox
no offense, but this is stupid, squabbling over a few hundred on a $50k vehicle! Are you for real?
Absolutely spot on.

You'll pay in the long run.

Think anyone will go out of their way to help you if you have a problem?

Guess again.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:32 AM

ML-350, Maserati Quattroporte
What you eventually negotiate / pay for your car has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of your ownership experience with the dealer and service. I understand the point that it seems futile to worry about a few hundred here or there( I agree with that) but even if you beat a dealer up on a price you will get the same service as any one else provided you are not a difficult customer.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by FL Diesel
After figuring out actual invoice, my initial offer of $57000 is just at invoice. The dealer wants $58187. Is that a fair deal? The car is already on its way, and it was custom ordered for me. Considering it is the first 2008 they are getting, I figured I may not have too much leverage to bargain with. Doing the math, dealer profit is about 1%. On one hand, I can live with that price, but on the other, it would bother me if I could have gotten a better deal, even if it is just $600 or so. Just my personality I guess. The question I have to ask myself is it worth going through the entire process again with another dealer and having to wait another 1-2 months for the car?
So what you are saying is that the dealer will make 1% on the deal ? !

And for that money he should serve you, help you in the oredeing prosses,
be there for you when the scraches on the left side needs fixing, takes the phone when you call him about that !
Old 09-24-2007, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
I am glad i am not the only one who thinks this way...
Old 09-28-2007, 12:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)
Originally Posted by Soft
So what you are saying is that the dealer will make 1% on the deal ? !

And for that money he should serve you, help you in the oredeing prosses,
be there for you when the scraches on the left side needs fixing, takes the phone when you call him about that !
If a customer is happy with the deal, he/she will be more likely to service the car in that dealership. Except the salesperson only looks for it's own interest, from the dealership standpoint, why not?

There are plenty money to be made in the service the next four so years. Also the loyalty factor for the future sales. Wondering why dealers sometime so short-sighted.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Be careful, some dealers get a little strict when servicing cars not sold there. Mine refused to give me any loaners, even though I had bought a previous MB from that location.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:50 PM

2007 R-500
Originally Posted by RBrenton
Be careful, some dealers get a little strict when servicing cars not sold there. Mine refused to give me any loaners, even though I had bought a previous MB from that location.
HooBoy! I would call MBUSA about that. That is lousy customer service. I bought my last two Benzes from Select Auto Imports, a reseller, in Alexandria, VA. I got the older one, a 2003 SL500 serviced at American Service Center in Arlington, VA. They ALWAYS gave me a loaner. The service department must be customer service oriented or they don't get any business. There are three MB shops in northern VA. I can take my care to any one of them for service. There are at at least two more across the Potomac in the MD suburbs. There is too much competition for my money for a company to treat me like I don't count.

I say, buy your car from the dealer who gives you the best price; get it serviced where you get the best service, including the amenities you deserve as an MB owner!.
JR
Old 10-01-2007, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by supernsx
If a customer is happy with the deal, he/she will be more likely to service the car in that dealership. Except the salesperson only looks for it's own interest, from the dealership standpoint, why not?

There are plenty money to be made in the service the next four so years. Also the loyalty factor for the future sales. Wondering why dealers sometime so short-sighted.
Ok I can agree with the service aspec, but then again the service dep. do not pay the sales dep. for the job.
Loyalty future sales, if I made a few hundred on a sale, I cannot see any reason to want this customer back, naging me forever and make a few hundred in 3-5 years time :-)

I have always payed more for the car at the deales I want do do my service at, rather than hasseling everyone and basicly have to a hassle with everything I need, because noone feels I should get servised more than stricly nesseserly.
I pay for the whole experience, and get what I pay for. Exxselent relation whit my dealer, loaner and extra support when I need, no problem, respect 2 ways.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Almost a Member!

R500
Not my R but for my other car, I actually got a better service from the dealer I didn't buy the car from. Why? They want my future business. They did ask me why I didn't buy the car from them, I just told them they didn't offer me the best price. They understand.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:10 PM

2007 R320
When I bought my first Benz, R320 in March, I visited, test drove, learned about the cars and options, and negotiated 4 out of 6 dealears in the DC area. End it up buying from the dealer that gave me the best deal, and best treatment.

When I needed services for the car, of course I brought it to the selling dealer but kept switching/trying different service dealers in the area until I found/content with the best service provided and stay there.

Bottom line, there is little to no apparent connection between the dealer's sales and services departments. I am lucky enough to live in an area of multiple MB dealers so the competition (in both sales and services) among them is fair and works to the advandtage of the buyers/consumers.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 Land Rover Discovery 2018 BMW 540ix 2013 Land Rover LR4 2007 Porsche Carrera 4S Cabriolet
Originally Posted by RBrenton

you must have bought it a Globe in Fairfield, NJ . . . . . . . . . .
Old 10-15-2007, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Originally Posted by Cocca
you must have bought it a Globe in Fairfield, NJ . . . . . . . . . .
David Michael in Freehold.