R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

New Owner!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R320 CDI
New Owner!

Well, I decided to go ahead and buy an '08 R320 CDI. Barolo red, Macadmia interior w/ PII, Bi-Xenons, RES, Voice Control, iPod adapter,CD-changer, and Keyless Go (which is really cool). Thanks to all of those who replied to my previous thread. First mod will probably to tint the front windows. Anybody know what brand/darkness best matches the stock tint?
Attached Thumbnails New Owner!-r320-picture.jpg  
Old 10-01-2007, 01:51 PM

2007 R320
Congratulations

FL -

Let me be the first to congratulate you on such an excitement and joyful purchase. You're going to love/enjoy this R320 so much, I have since March. Barolo Red / Mac is a very good combo. I had such hard time picking/choosing it and White / Mac. I ended up with White/Mac with almost same options as yours. Mine has MB Tex (leather would be nice though), PII, RSE, Bi-Xenon, front heated seats. I also wanted KG but couldnt find one.

Soon you'll realize that your car is such a rare kind. RClass (any models) with PII/PIII and Bi-Xenon are very hard to locate or even get it ordered. But to me everything in the PII and Xenon lights should be equipped/included with this class of vehicle, since it is soooo hard to upgrade/retrofit things like parktronic, BU camera, and xenon lights.

Enjoy. I love the front end of the '08. Please post some pics on the interior, especially if you have the 7-seat arrangements. I prefer the 6-seats with the RSE and 2nd row center console.

Happy driving and the mileage will keep getting better, and better . . . mine is getting close to 30 mpg (highway) after 5,000 miles driven.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:57 PM

2007 R320
Originally Posted by FL Diesel
First mod will probably to tint the front windows. Anybody know what brand/darkness best matches the stock tint?
Hold off on tinting the front windows. If i am correct, the PII comes with the green / UV resistant front windwshield and front windows. This cuts out the strong sun, uv lights and in effect keeping your car very cool. Test it out and determine if you need it or not. OTOH, you may want to do it for the look, then go ahead.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:57 PM

R320 CDI
Thanks. I like the new front styling as well. I have the 6 seat configuration. To my surprise, the RES did not come with the 2nd row center console. Instead, the DVD player is in the front armrest. I'll take pics of the inside when I get a chance.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:56 PM

2007 R320
To my surprise, the RES did not come with the 2nd row center console. Instead, the DVD player is in the front armrest. I'll take pics of the inside when I get a chance.
There are two RSE options. One is the dual monitors behind the front seat headrests, which also comes with 2nd row center console. The other is the single monitor, which mounts in between the front seats. You may have gotten the single unit. Look forward to see your car pics.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:07 PM

R320 CDI
Actually, I got the dual monitor RES. That is why I was surprised. I guess for 2008 it doesn't come with the second row console. Not a big deal to me though.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:53 AM

2007 R320
Actually, I got the dual monitor RES. That is why I was surprised. I guess for 2008 it doesn't come with the second row console. Not a big deal to me though.
You're correct. I went to MB website and did a built your own and saw/found out that on '08 the rear RSE (dual monitors) is now a single option for about $2,600, which doesnt come with 2nd row center console. The center console is add-on option for about $400, which is a factory-option with or without the RSE. This makes sense and allow flexibility for combining depending on the owner's needs. Still like to see the new DVD player location pics when you get a chance.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:49 PM

R320 CDI
As requested, here are a few interior pics, mostly to illustrate the location of the DVD player, which is now in the front center console underneath the phone cradle hookup. It is actually kind of a pain to load discs since it is pretty far back in the console and there is not much room to put your hand and a disc in front of the player. I apologize for some of the night shots but my wife usually does not get back until after dark.
Attached Thumbnails New Owner!-mercedes-r320-pictures-007.jpg   New Owner!-mercedes-r320-pictures-009.jpg   New Owner!-mercedes-r320-pictures-012.jpg  
Old 10-05-2007, 05:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 CLK 320
I think that placement for the DVD player is a poor choice on MB's part, but I guess they had few workable options. The need to change from the 2nd row console stems from the introduction of the seven-seat option, I guess.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:34 AM

R320 CDI
You are probably right. Otherwise you cannot order the RES and 7 seat option together.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:45 AM

2007 R320
After seeing Fl pics, I now see why the RSE and 2nd row center console are separate options. For '06 and '07, the RSE and the console offered as a package because the player is located underneath/bottom of the console in 2nd row.

Although, the new player location looks tight/cramped but an advantage is that the discs can be "insert/eject" by front row passengers. This is great for families with young toddlers sitting in the back, where mom or dad (as passenger) can play or change movies for them while driving.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:34 PM

R320 CDI
My one issue with the RES is that you need the remote to control it. There should be controls in the COMAND system if a person in the front has to load the disc.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Almost a Member!

R500
My one issue with the RES is that you need the remote to control it. There should be controls in the COMAND system if a person in the front has to load the disc.
Good point, I have the Vizualogic in the headrests and without the screen it's hard to go through the DVD menu for the kids.