Will GLK Kill R?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Will GLK Kill R?

With pictures of the production ready GLK hitting the net and it set to debut in January at Detroit, I was wondering if this could spell the end for the R class. I first thought it would kill off the C estate wagon, but now after seeing pictures of the refreshened ML, I'm thinking the GLK might kill the R in a round about way. The GLK 350 and ML 350 will be close to the same car, seating will be the same (five adults) the engine will be the same, but the ML will still have a rear loading space advantage. The refreshened ML is showing a tire carrier on the back, which could mean an optional third row of seats for the ML. That could mean that the R, which isn't selling as well as MB would like, would disappear and the ML would fill the gap with a third row and seating for seven to give people a reason to pay the extra money over a GLK.

Any thoughts? I hope they keep the R around, I like the looks but it could use a refreshening of the headlights and tail lights. Go with something more square to fit into the rest of the SUV lineup. Maybe a more pronounced grille and standard 19'' wheels, easy fixes that could help boost sales.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Tailgate mounted spare tire carrier is currently an ML option--just not in the USA.

GLK will be a BMW X3 competitor. It will have plenty of 4-cylinder engines for non-USA markets. The 3.5 V6 will frankly be ridiculous in this vehicle.

The R will live or die on its own, I'd offer.
Attached Thumbnails Will GLK Kill R?-image1.jpg  
Old 12-22-2007, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by lkchris
Tailgate mounted spare tire carrier is currently an ML option--just not in the USA.

GLK will be a BMW X3 competitor. It will have plenty of 4-cylinder engines for non-USA markets. The 3.5 V6 will frankly be ridiculous in this vehicle.

I didn't know that, guess I wouldn't living in the states its not available.

Hope they take the time to freshen it up, although I haven't heard or read anything about that. Anyone else have info on a model update? The R came out at the same time as the new ML and its getting updated, so should the R.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lkchris

I don't know about the 3.5 being ridiculous in the GLK. It's probably heavy for its size, because that's the way it is these days.

I fully agree with the final statement. The R is it's own thing, and the basic concept of a large crossover (really a tall wagon) will live or die on its own.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering the R sells so well. I'm sure it won't be taken over from the GLK...
Old 12-22-2007, 08:42 PM

R 320 CDI on 20" Mandrus Milleniums
Originally Posted by LRRPJOE
Considering the R sells so well. I'm sure it won't be taken over from the GLK...
afaik the R doesnt sell too well...

i agree with chilledbenz about the sqare forms.... maybe they can somehow bring in kind of like ML headlights.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Yeah I would like the ML or GL head lights on an R. Too bad I've heard nothing about a refreshing of the R class. It came out at the same time as the ML and there are spy photos and all sorts of rumors for its up and coming touch up.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
GLK has nothing to do with the R. R will go on until redesign time of the ML/GL/R platform, then it may die off. GLK is to small to have any bearing on the R's future.

M
Old 12-24-2007, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by Germancar1
GLK has nothing to do with the R. R will go on until redesign time of the ML/GL/R platform, then it may die off. GLK is to small to have any bearing on the R's future.

M
It has a domino effect though. As I mentioned the GLK 350 and the ML 350 will seat the same number adults, have the same engine and drive train and the GLK will most likely have a lower base price than the ML. That means to keep people from moving away from the ML they will most likely add a third row seating option, to one up or should I say two up the GLK. If the ML gets a third row there will really be no need for the R, but that really all depends on "if" the ML gets a third row and what kind of third row it gets. If its just a jumper seat as mentioned above thats found on the E estate, then there should be no worries, but if its an actual full third row (which could be done if the ML would ride on the R frame) then there might be trouble for the R, all cause and effect started by the GLK. Ha ha anyone follow that?

Just to spur even more conversation...why is it there are countless numbers of spy photos of an updated ML but none of an R? They were released at the same time (2006) and between the two the R is the obvious choice for an update, the ML seems to be selling well the way it is.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:15 AM

1972 Chevy Vega 2300 - Panel Express
Your arguments rely on the theory that the ML will get a 3rd row.
There are no plans to introduce a 3rd row on the ML. There are two 7-seaters already; the R and the GL.
M-B learned from the embarrassing excuse for a 3rd row in the X5 and will not repeat this venture.

Will the GLK kill the R? Well they are two entirely different vehicles with different markets. The question to be asked is whether the GLK can survive on its own? What is M-B doing differently than BMW with the failing X-3?

Last edited by GL Fahrer; 12-25-2007 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow I agree with GL Fahrer! Though I have no doubt the GLK will be a hit, at the expense of the ML initially, which makes the ML's facelift very, very important.

M
Old 12-26-2007, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by GL Fahrer
There are no plans to introduce a 3rd row on the ML. There are two 7-seaters already; the R and the GL.
M-B learned from the embarrassing excuse for a 3rd row in the X5 and will not repeat this venture.

Will the GLK kill the R? Well they are two entirely different vehicles with different markets. The question to be asked is whether the GLK can survive on its own? What is M-B doing differently than BMW with the failing X-3?
Yeah, I'm going by what spy photos are showing, but come on lets face it, for an SUV in the price range of the ML to not offer a third row seating option is just stupid. I can think of three Japanese makes off the top of my head that can't compete in the same class as the ML, but offer third row seating, not to mention that the X5 its main competition does. Oh and by the way, the R is limping out of show rooms and the ML isn't flying but its got a quickened pace. So instead of spending money to update the R class, they could axe it and just add an optional third row to the popular ML. This is all just speculation mind you, just wanted to see what others opinions were. For the record I am pulling for a refreshened R as its in serious consideration as my next car.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The problem with third row seating in most vehicles in the ML's size class is that those seat are often a joke, as is the BMW X5's. It isn't even decent sized for small kids, much less a regular sized American adult. Its a marketing ploy to have a 3rd row seat in a ML/X5/MDX sized vehicle. People who actually need (and plan to use) a 3rd row seat will buy a GL, Yukon or something a little more manageable like a Enclave or Arcadia.

Anyway, the GLK isn't going to replace the R. If the GLK were built in a Bama then I could see it, not as a direct replacement for the R and its purpose, but as a stopgap or filler for the volume lost on the assembly line if the R was cut from the team. The GLK being built in Germany, smaller, and aimed at a different buyers says that it won't replace the R. Mercedes will no doubt try something different with the next R.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 12-26-2007 at 03:01 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:36 PM

i like to ride my bike
Originally Posted by GL Fahrer

Failing X3?? In Germany this thing is the bomb! right next the M and X5 under the 40 of the most selled cars.I guess you guys are still not realizing how great a smaller more efficient car really is!
Old 12-27-2007, 08:34 AM

2007 R-500
I have an 07 R500. I rode in the back seat for the first time last night. I was able to move the seat to its furthest distance and reclined it two notches. Once I adjusted the headrest for my height and desired angle, I could have ridden that way for hours. This vehicle has no competition among other crossovers.

During the summer I autocrossed the car three times. Considering it has all-season tires, I was able to outrun two novice drivers of a V-8 sedan (I've been autoxing for 32 years). I drove the new ML when it first came out. I was quite impressed, expecially compared with the older model. I've driven my R with all 6 seats filled with adults. Everyone in the four rear seats complimented me on the comfort of the vehicle. I like mine just fine. I plan to lower it next summer and get summer tires and become a serious competitor in the V-8 class! The ML and R are two completely different types of vehicle. I'd love an opportunity to run an autox course against an ML 500.

JR
Old 12-28-2007, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by JTReeves
I have an 07 R500. I rode in the back seat for the first time last night. I was able to move the seat to its furthest distance and reclined it two notches. Once I adjusted the headrest for my height and desired angle, I could have ridden that way for hours. This vehicle has no competition among other crossovers.

During the summer I autocrossed the car three times. Considering it has all-season tires, I was able to outrun two novice drivers of a V-8 sedan (I've been autoxing for 32 years). I drove the new ML when it first came out. I was quite impressed, expecially compared with the older model. I've driven my R with all 6 seats filled with adults. Everyone in the four rear seats complimented me on the comfort of the vehicle. I like mine just fine. I plan to lower it next summer and get summer tires and become a serious competitor in the V-8 class! The ML and R are two completely different types of vehicle. I'd love an opportunity to run an autox course against an ML 500.

JR
Thats great to hear. I am really leaning towards an R for my next purchase, I am really getting tried or should I say the wife is getting tired of the ML truck like ride. We test drove an R and it was so much better, more like a car than a van/suv. I climbed in the back and let the wife drive and did notice a lil body roll in the suspension, I'm sure the air ride would cure that, but it wasn't horriable.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:19 PM

I am so glad to see others like the R. We have an '06 R350 which replaced a Navigator (which replaced a Discovery...) It's a fantastic vehicle and totally misunderstood and underappreciated. I think it initially suffered because some thought it was the MB version of the Pacifica and of course it is not like that in any way. I was very sad to see the 500 and 63 versions dropped because I fear that's the start of its demise. It's always heavily discounted - except ours of course because we got one of the first! - and that doesn't help. Everyone who rides in it is completely impressed, but MB has to get people into it. Maybe the fading SUV glamor will help, if they stick it out (BTW, my car is an '07 ML63, which replaced an '04 Turbo Cayenne, so I have some good comparisons!). It's smooth and luxurious and ridiculously roomy.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by crjag
I am so glad to see others like the R. We have an '06 R350 which replaced a Navigator (which replaced a Discovery...) It's a fantastic vehicle and totally misunderstood and underappreciated. I think it initially suffered because some thought it was the MB version of the Pacifica and of course it is not like that in any way. I was very sad to see the 500 and 63 versions dropped because I fear that's the start of its demise. It's always heavily discounted - except ours of course because we got one of the first! - and that doesn't help. Everyone who rides in it is completely impressed, but MB has to get people into it. Maybe the fading SUV glamor will help, if they stick it out (BTW, my car is an '07 ML63, which replaced an '04 Turbo Cayenne, so I have some good comparisons!). It's smooth and luxurious and ridiculously roomy.
Some good points there. I really hope a redo of the front end will come soon and that in itself should help out a lot. Why they stuck round head lamps on it when everything else in the suv lineup has square I'll never know.