Throttle response lag

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500 SL R129 and R 320 CDI W251
Throttle response lag

Hey,

I have a 320 CDI, and have noticed one thing: If I brake say against a intersection, and then goes back on the throttle, I think it takes a very long time before the car starts to accelerate.... if you are driving along, and then step on it, it's quite quick. Anyone else have the same problem?
Old 03-13-2008, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
My GL does this a bit and it seems actually worse after the crankshaft position sensor was replaced under a recall.

http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/o...stedDocId=9164
Old 03-15-2008, 05:24 PM

R350 4-matic
My '06 R350 is doing the same thing. I find that if I have it in manual mode, then I don't have the problem, but in auto I do. I have taken it to the shop twice already, but so far all they have said was that my trans fluid was low and that the shift points were off.

I'm still having the problem, so I guess those were not the causes. Anyone else having this problem?
Old 03-18-2008, 03:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 SL500, 2015 GLK350 & S63, 2020 C63 & G63 and 2021 GLC63
I have a R500 and it is doing the same thing. Also when you drive off in the morning, leave the accelerator @ 30 mph, as the speed slows and it changes gears, it will give you a jerk.

Well, my MB dealer reset the transmssion twice and then it works fine for 2 months. Then the problem comes back and now we are back to square one.

I am taking it in tomorrow and seems like they have to replace the transmission. If that happens, then I will return the car as lemon as it seems you all have the same issues too. I think the 7 speed is not working well with R Class.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:15 PM

2007 R-500
Originally Posted by puranm
I have a R500 and it is doing the same thing. Also when you drive off in the morning, leave the accelerator @ 30 mph, as the speed slows and it changes gears, it will give you a jerk.

Well, my MB dealer reset the transmssion twice and then it works fine for 2 months. Then the problem comes back and now we are back to square one.

I am taking it in tomorrow and seems like they have to replace the transmission. If that happens, then I will return the car as lemon as it seems you all have the same issues too. I think the 7 speed is not working well with R Class.
Sorry to hear you're having that problem. My '07 R500 had a little jerkiness for a while. After a roadtrip from No. VA to Tallahassee FL and back, with lots of high speed running and frequent acceleration from 70 to 90+, things seemed to smooth out. My wife commutes in it daily over a distance of about 11 miles one way. She hasn't reported any problems.

BTW, I traded my 05 SL500 on the R500. The SL was having numerous electrical and trim problems that weren't covered by the extended warranty. I like the R because it is much easier to get into and out of for an old guy born in 1947. I autocrossed the R last summer and may do so this year as well, depending on the availability of money for autox tires and wheels.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:31 PM

R350 4-matic
Originally Posted by puranm

I tried that this morning and I didn't get the jerk. I only get it when slowing from speed (at least 45 mph), and make a turn. If I slow down enough (say to 20 mph) it seems as though it is stuck in 3rd instead of being in 2nd and accelerating smoothly, it bogs or seems to slip and then will drop or jerk into the right gear.

Keeping it in manual (downshifting manually) as I decelerate solves the problem and I just go through the gears until back into auto. I think the 7G tranny still needs some work, but overall this is my only complaint against my R.