R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

2008 or 2009 R Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2008 or 2009 R Class

Should I buy an R Class now, (2008) or wait for 2009 model? Has anyone heard about changes to 2009 R Class
How about option lists, will sport package (AMG trim) be standard like it is in 2008. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Maybe minor changes to 2009 and I mean minor. 2008 just got the refresh of the AMG styling, added chrome trim, wheel upgrade, and new options available. For 2009 there will probably be a new steering wheel and new outside mirrors to go along with the lineup update, other than that nothing major.

I say grab an 08, I just picked one up last month for under invoice. If you aren't really picky about options and colors, just stop by your favorite dealership and tell them you want their oldest R class and you want to cut a deal. This benefits both of you as the dealership wants to move the cars they have had in their inventory the longest and you score a great deal. Most of the R classes that dealerships get in will be P1, 7 seat, ipod, six disc changer, heated seats, and quite a few have the rear entertainment. Like I said, if you don't mind limited color choices, you can get a great deal this way.

Honestly I don't know why the R class doesn't sell that well, its 100 times better than my 06 ML was. The ML was like driving a truck, this R class is like driving a Mercedes, it rides and handles the same as the sedans, plus the added rear room is monsterous compared to the ML.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:10 PM

gets me from point A-B
it probably doesn't sell well because of the exterior styling because it looks like a station wagon/minivan. I'm disappointed w/ my R350 b/c i previously owned a Lexus GX470 and boi was it a head turner. I had to swap it w/ the R350 b/c the lexus was too small, when i showed it to my friends they pretty much laughed at me.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by benzlvr2500
it probably doesn't sell well because of the exterior styling because it looks like a station wagon/minivan. I'm disappointed w/ my R350 b/c i previously owned a Lexus GX470 and boi was it a head turner. I had to swap it w/ the R350 b/c the lexus was too small, when i showed it to my friends they pretty much laughed at me.
You got the 07 without the AMG sport packaging and chrome trim. To be honest I didn't think much of it when it first came out either, didn't care for the gray boxes on the corners of the front bumpers. I really fell in love with the AMG version but that was a bit out of my price range, so when the styling came standard on the 08's I gave it another look. What eventually sold me was the ride, its light years above and beyond my old 06 ML. Sad more people don't give it a chance, if they would just test drive one they would be sold. But come on..a Lexus?

Last edited by chilledbenz; 03-16-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:01 PM

R350 4-matic
Yeah, I had a couple of buddies laugh and call it a wagon, mini-van, etc. That is until we packed into it for a road-trip from Austin to Dallas, and we all arrived in comfort and style. They loved it even more when they drove it and now...two of them bought one each we they found out they were having another kid(s). One a R350 the other a R500. They don't laugh anymore, except when cruising in style passed mini-van's.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:27 PM

gets me from point A-B
Thanks for making me feel better, guys. From now on i won't care what anyone says about it. Oh and overall, its a pretty good car, b/c it gets a hell of a lot better gas mileage than my previous Lexus.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Lexus myself. It's thorough engineered for off-roading, then gilded up with all the Lexus trim. I don't get that combo.

I personally wouldn't care what others think of the car, but that's just me.

As for changes for 2009, I think Mercedes has just about written this model off. They won't be putting much extra effort or investment into it.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by mkaresh
I'm not a fan of the Lexus myself. It's thorough engineered for off-roading, then gilded up with all the Lexus trim. I don't get that combo.

I personally wouldn't care what others think of the car, but that's just me.

As for changes for 2009, I think Mercedes has just about written this model off. They won't be putting much extra effort or investment into it.
As much as I hate to admit it, your probably right. I'm thinking the sales numbers of the 08 model number will tell the tale of the R class. They added the AMG exterior sport packaging, tweaked some option packages, dropped the R500, added a less costly R350 2 wheel drive version, all in hopes of saving some grace. It worked for me, I was a hold out until the AMG exterior treatment brought me over to look...then once I drove it I was sold. If the 08 numbers go up there would be reason for MB to think about doing a full scale refresh. The only part of the car that I really don't care for (although its grown on me) is the front end, it would be so easy to update the front headlights and grill to follow the rest of the suv lineup to bring more current customers and some new into the fold, but like I said I'm starting to like it now.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:29 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
I needed to get a bunch of guys to a meeting, so I borrowed my wifes r500 for the trip. I took 5 full size adults to a meeting over an hour away. When I picked them up, they all made fun of the "Mercedes minivan". When they got inside and checked out the panoramic roof, nav, leather, stereo, etc, they said "man, this thing is pretty nice!". When I punched it on the onramp, merged onto the highway, and pinned the throttle for about 20 seconds, their response was "HOLY SH*T!!!" When we got back to the office, there was no more talk about the "mercedes minivan". The car ain't pretty, but it grows on you and is very capable. If you need minivan-like cargo capacity and person capacity with a decent ride, decent handling, and decent performance, it is quite a functional vehicle.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
The only part of the car that I really don't care for (although its grown on me) is the front end, it would be so easy to update the front headlights and grill to follow the rest of the suv lineup to bring more current customers and some new into the fold, but like I said I'm starting to like it now.
The front end is, by far, the easiest and least expensive part to change styling-wise, as long as the structure beneath the sheetmetal remains unchanged.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
2009 model has no exterior changes (bluetec version shown in picture has accessory wheels that might be standard on just that model)

http://www.mbusa.com/microsite/bluet...sp#/main/index