R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Distorted windshield on my new R Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes R320 CDI
Distorted windshield on my new R Class

I took delivery of a new R Class last week. The Sat Nav didn't work - (replaced promptly by the dealer), the seatbelt audible alarm is inaudible (that's a feature sir) and the windshield distorts the line of sight vision when look along the hood. And the windshields in all the other cars at the dealership are the same. Does anyone else have this problem? MB technical support's response is that this is due to the curvature of the bodywork (my R class doesn't have any curvature in the bodywork at that position) How do I get this fixed? I want to be delighted with the car but it's 75 inches wide and I need to see where I'm going on the overcrowded roads in the UK
Old 04-23-2008, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by Cliff Alsop
I took delivery of a new R Class last week. The Sat Nav didn't work - (replaced promptly by the dealer), the seatbelt audible alarm is inaudible (that's a feature sir) and the windshield distorts the line of sight vision when look along the hood. And the windshields in all the other cars at the dealership are the same. Does anyone else have this problem? MB technical support's response is that this is due to the curvature of the bodywork (my R class doesn't have any curvature in the bodywork at that position) How do I get this fixed? I want to be delighted with the car but it's 75 inches wide and I need to see where I'm going on the overcrowded roads in the UK
Was the windshield not distorted when you test drove it?

Just wondering.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:45 AM

Mercedes R320 CDI
R Class windshield distortion

I didn't test drive my car, it was delivered new from the dealer on a Saturday, and whilst subsequently driving it that weekend I noticed the flaw (which is particularly troublesome when you negotiate narrow driveways or are parking). I did go back to check with the R class demonstrator we'd driven some weeks previously and that does have the same fault however my journey in the demo car was on main roads and open spaces, I didn't get into any kind of narrow confines to make the problem apparent
Old 04-24-2008, 10:20 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
GLE450 Coupe and C300w4
I have the same thing. 2007 R350 and i notice little waves and slight distortions in my windshield. I think it's "standard" to this windshield, unfortunately.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:51 PM

E500
What options does your R have? If you have the IR reduction glass option then it could be what you are seeing, they have silver coated in them.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
GLE450 Coupe and C300w4
I have everything except for rear seat entertainment. Ihave the IR reduction glass, that could be it.