R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Now a "crossover"?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 09:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
Now a "crossover"?

Well I guess it failed as an ... '08 SUV, so now MB lists it as a "crossover." The unit sales are really bad. Does anyone have a guess when they will deliver a mercy killing? Perhaps bring the Viano which would be really nice for our market?

Last edited by TPAbnz; 07-22-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
I believe it has been classified as a "Crossover" in the European market for awhile now, mainly due to the fact that they get a short version and a long version. When it first debuted in 06 it went by "Grand Sports Tourer" here, but that didn't take well I suppose, neither did "SUV" probably because it isn't one by any stretch. As for when MB will decide to do away with it is all up to them, there is however a big following starting to come along here in the states. I'm seeing more and more of them on the roads finally and the dealerships are seeing sales pick up ever so slightly. I love the looks myself, thats why I bought one, but if they want to make it a little more mainstream to sell more units it wouldn't be too hard to do. Change up the front with more lineup friendly head lights that would blend it in more with the GL, ML, and GLK, a bolder grill up front wouldn't hurt and maybe some tweaks to the rear bumper/tail light area. The over all shape is what makes it an R class and that essence shouldn't be touched. The interior got a few new upgrades for 09 but a new seat design and wood trim options wouldn't be a bad idea. I really can't complain much though, I love the R just the way it is.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
We considered buying one but since the seats couldn't be removed for trips to Depot and the second door was too big to open in our garage, we decided against it. But, it is a great car to ride in.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL500, 2007 R350 Sport
There's a facelift out so it's here for a while. If MB would market it properly I'm sure it would sell well. I can't think of anything I'd rather have.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350 4-matic
Yes, the face lift will be for '09 models and should bring the R up to date with the new MB models out this year in regards to headlights, and front grill/bumper dept.

The car is really starting to catch on where I'm at, in the Austin area as more and more people are seeing them. For example I went to a high-end strip mall today to pick up something from Williams-Sonoma and in the parking lot in front of Sephora which was almost next door, there were not 1, not 2 but 3 other R-classes.

Then I went to the grocery store and there were two more, kids and all. If MB really went out and sold this car, I think the sales would be phenomenal. And forget it if the B-class came out here...it would be the new 'it' car to have as well.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Face lift for 09 has little to do with the exterior. From photos it appears that the grill is the only thing that has changed, looks as if its black with chrome slats but its really hard to tell from pictures (didn't even get the new mirrors). The other changes take place in the interior where there is a new steering wheel and a new radio/nav unit with HD radio capabilities. Also looks like the P1 and P2 packages have been tweaked a bit and the 7 row seat option is included in P1 now. The bigger news is the R320 will be dropped mid year to make way for the Bluetec version.