Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X5, R500
New R500 owner with squeak......

Hi all,
I just took delivery of my new (to me) 2006 R500. It is an awesome....whatever you want to call it....but it has a rattle in the roof with the shades open. It does have the pano roof. I searched but couldnt find anything on here about it. Has anyone else experienced this and what was the cause. Mine is still under warranty but I wanted to investigate first. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:33 PM

I had the same thing

in my 06 R350 although it was a little tough to pinpoint at first. The dealer ended up replacing the shade, the motor, the "tray" - not really sure what that was but it fixed the problem.

Note that the noise issue was caused by the "tray" they replaced the other items as they were concerned it was a problem (motor) or it was previously broken (shade).
Old 10-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Almost a Member!

X5, R500
Thanks for the reply! I need to get this fixed asap. It is driving me nuts. I just hope this isnt the beginning of a line of issues with this thing.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Almost a Member!

X5, R500
Trojan,
I dont expect loud squeaks from the roof on a 2 year old Mercedes with 14k miles. Maybe I have been driving BMW's too long. My 2001 X5 with 85k miles doesnt have ANY rattles. I had a 1999 ML430 that was a total POS (with the exception of the motor) and that is why I bought the BMW. I was hoping that MB had gotten a bit better by now. I am trying to have a good attitude about this R500. The rattle is really annoying and if they cant fix it the car will need to go away. That said, I havent even given the dealer a chance to correct it yet. Hopefully all will be good.
PS, I know it is 2 years old, I dont expect it to be perfect but I do expect it to be a nice car. It isnt a KIA....and for the record, a guy that works for me has a KIA and it doesnt rattle
Old 10-09-2008, 01:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)
Originally Posted by Carrerax
Trojan,
I dont expect loud squeaks from the roof on a 2 year old Mercedes with 14k miles. Maybe I have been driving BMW's too long. My 2001 X5 with 85k miles doesnt have ANY rattles. I had a 1999 ML430 that was a total POS (with the exception of the motor) and that is why I bought the BMW. I was hoping that MB had gotten a bit better by now. I am trying to have a good attitude about this R500. The rattle is really annoying and if they cant fix it the car will need to go away. That said, I havent even given the dealer a chance to correct it yet. Hopefully all will be good.
PS, I know it is 2 years old, I dont expect it to be perfect but I do expect it to be a nice car. It isnt a KIA....and for the record, a guy that works for me has a KIA and it doesnt rattle
Things happened to any car even a well build car likes the R-class.

I actually replaced my 01 X5 3.0 with the R500. I had my share of the problems with the X5 and mine was only 60K miles. Funny that things started really falling apart on my X5 after the warranty ended.

I am totally happy with my decision to go for R500 and my only regret now is not replaced the X5 two years sooner..... I was $500 apart of my X5 trade-in with the MB dealer two years back after a negotiation of $18K discount over a new 06 R350 when no one was buying.

Enjoy your new R500.

Last edited by supernsx; 10-09-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Almost a Member!

X5, R500
I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I know that the X5's had their share of problems buy my 4.4 X5 has been awesome. If the R class is 80% as good as my X5 Ill be happy. I dont want to come across as not liking the R500. In fact I love it. The sport seats and the suspension are great. The dash plastics used dont hold a candle to the X5 but they are better than 99% of the other stuff out there. Better than I expected actually. The main thing is the rattle.....that and I need to read the manual from cover to cover to learn how to operate things. Believe me, I really want to be the guy that in 12 months after having the car tells everyone how good it is. With the roof rattle, if MB cant fix it, I will fix it myself. Im more worried about overall issues after the warranty. And Supernsx, I really appreciate your replies! I was hoping that there would be more active people over here. Im used to Rennlist (Porsche forum) where it is crazy active.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)
Originally Posted by Carrerax
I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I know that the X5's had their share of problems buy my 4.4 X5 has been awesome. If the R class is 80% as good as my X5 Ill be happy. I dont want to come across as not liking the R500. In fact I love it. The sport seats and the suspension are great. The dash plastics used dont hold a candle to the X5 but they are better than 99% of the other stuff out there. Better than I expected actually. The main thing is the rattle.....that and I need to read the manual from cover to cover to learn how to operate things. Believe me, I really want to be the guy that in 12 months after having the car tells everyone how good it is. With the roof rattle, if MB cant fix it, I will fix it myself. Im more worried about overall issues after the warranty. And Supernsx, I really appreciate your replies! I was hoping that there would be more active people over here. Im used to Rennlist (Porsche forum) where it is crazy active.
Yeah, agree that R-class forum is not as active as others because there are just not too many of R-classes on the road.

Regarding the X5, I had the same impression about the nicer interior of the X5 but the R is growing on me and now, I find them both every much on the same level.

Regarding the warranty, mine is totally loaded and I am going to buy the extended warranty for sure. It is going to set me back about $2500 for additional 3 years warranty but I think one big item out from this list (engine, transmission, nav/command, sunroof, airmatic), the warranty will pay for itself. If I don't use the whole $2500, the piece of mind of driving it without worry will make it worthwhile. Btw, I am very sure the R will have problem.....
Old 10-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Almost a Member!

X5, R500
Originally Posted by supernsx
Yeah, agree that R-class forum is not as active as others because there are just not too many of R-classes on the road.

Regarding the X5, I had the same impression about the nicer interior of the X5 but the R is growing on me and now, I find them both every much on the same level.

Regarding the warranty, mine is totally loaded and I am going to buy the extended warranty for sure. It is going to set me back about $2500 for additional 3 years warranty but I think one big item out from this list (engine, transmission, nav/command, sunroof, airmatic), the warranty will pay for itself. If I don't use the whole $2500, the piece of mind of driving it without worry will make it worthwhile. Btw, I am very sure the R will have problem.....
If I keep this past the warranty I will be buting an extended one also. I drove it again tonight and I really like it!!