R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Snow Tires vs. All Seasons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 R-500
Snow Tires vs. All Seasons

I got this link in a message from Tire Rack today: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/....jsp?ttid=103&

It shows TR's tests of dedicated snow tires against OE all season tires on two 3-series BMWs.

I used Bridgestone Blizzaks on my two C-class sedans. When we traded the last one for the SL, we kept it in the garage when it snowed or was likely to snow and drove the '98 Volvo S90 (RWD) which wears Blizzaks during snow season. Driving that car, I made it through an ice storm last winter that shut down the DC-area Springfield Mixing Bowl when the overpasses froze over. I was able to get off the HOV lanes onto the local roads and bybass the 10-mile backup. I've always felt confident in snow when using the Blizzaks.

My wife drives the R and learned to drive in Germany. She has good winter driving skills. She drove the R last winter using the OE all seasons. I've replaced those with summer tires and will probably buy a set of tires and wheels for use in the snow. Given the choice, I'd rather drive the AWD R500 in the winter than the RWD Volvo.

JR
Old 10-16-2008, 01:19 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 S350, 2021 GLS450
I thought this was great comparison but then I looked at the all-season tire that the used for the testing. It was ranked 25th in its all-season category! Couldn't they have used a better rated all-season? At this point the test looks rigged. While I know that snow tires are better in the winter, the logic of testing a highly rated snow tire against a poorly rated all-season tire totally escapes my comprehension.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The term "all season" is meaningless.

If you want traction in snow, get snow tires.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:14 PM

2007 R-500
Autox Results

This is off topic but is related to tires.

I replaced my all season Conti Contacts during the summer with Michelin Y-rated summer tires. I drove the last MBCA-Greater Washington Section autocross of the season two Sundays ago (Nov 2) in Winchester, VA. See the results here: http://www.gws-mbca.org/ax/ax-08/ax08-8.html.

I competed with two other V-8 powered (non-AMG) vehicles and came in 2nd. This was an almost gateless course with a series of pivot cones. The course involved leaving the start and taking a 3-cone slalom (toward the West). The single gate was at a leftward exit from the slalom. From here, there was a long straight back in the direction of the start (Eastward) to the first pivot cone. One could take any line around the cone in either direction. Exiting that cone, the next leg was Westward to the second pivot cone. From there, the next leg was Eastward to the third pivot but with a shorter distance. This cone was situated just SE of the first cone. The next leg was to the 4th pivot along a shorter distance. This cone was near the bottom of the course (South). From #4, the next leg was back to Cone #1, then to #2, then to #3, then a sharp turn around #4 to the stop garage over a distance of about 30 meters. As you can see from the times, the best times were made by shorter wheelbase, high torgue vehicles.

The parking lot slopes from N to S. One's choice in which direction to take around a cone determined whether a turn was uphill or downhill. I tended to turn right rather than left because it just "felt" better. The good news was that I was able to use engine power and torque to brake late and accelerate early out of the turns, taking advantage of the traction that the summer tires provided.

If you haven't tried autocrossing, I recommend it as a way to see what your car can do and to learn and practice some new driving skills in a safe environment. Contact your local section of the Mercedes Benze Club of America to get involved.

JR
Old 11-24-2008, 02:47 PM

2007 R-500
Got Snows!

I got my snows installed this past Friday. Rather than go the full replacement route (new wheels and tires), I saved $600 and bought just the tires - at Radial Tire of Silver Spring (MD).

I bought the same brand and model as the summer tires I was running, Michelin Latitude HPs, except these are called Latitude Alpin HPs. They are the stock size - 235/55-18, so there is no change from the width of the tire. I'll find out whether this is a problem when the snow comes.

Meanwhile, these tires seem to handle at least as well as the summer tires. Lane changes are just as quick and traction under acceleration seems to be better. I took a 90-degree right turn coming home last night and found myself further left along the line than I thought I'd be. I didn't choose my line as well as I could have so that might explain it.

I have an on-ramp to I-95 northbound at the intersection with VA Rt 123 (Gordon Blvd). You can see it on Google Maps (Search I-95 and VA rt 123 then zoom in to the intersection. It is the lower left lobe of the 3-leaf clover)The ramp is two lanes wide most of the way but merges into one. There are arrows in the right-most lane indicating a merge to the left. Most folks enter the ramp using the left lane (See google maps image!). Those who find themselves in the right lane attempt to move left rather than wait til the merge point. I enter the turn at speed and pray that those in the left can stay in their lane rather than straying toward the inner lane. When that happens, I am forced to either back off or drive on the inner shoulder - and that's just bad form! I enjoy storming past the slackers in the left lane and getting to the head of the line with minimum use of the brakes. My wife didn't understand why I do this; however, she attended a conference on Learning and the Brain at MIT this weekend. She learned that the male brain experiences some sort of stimulus of the Amygdala from this kind of behavior that the female brain doesn't need. At least now she understands!

The snows handle just as well as the summers do in this maneuver. Keep in mind, I'm talking about snowless pavement. When/if the snow comes, all bets are off. I'll have to learn about handling all over again since I haven't driven the R in snow yet.

Please keep me in your prayers - JR