R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

No Leather for 2009

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Leather for 2009

I just saw this in the brochure and on the configuration tool on MBUSA.com. Apparently the R class is now only available with vinyl, no leather option anymore. If this is true, it is quite sad.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
I just saw this in the brochure and on the configuration tool on MBUSA.com. Apparently the R class is now only available with vinyl, no leather option anymore. If this is true, it is quite sad.
My R has leather and my wife's C has vinyl. Both my wife and I prefer the leather better because it has a better feel when touch but it seems like the vinyl is holding up much much better. So, I think it is really pros and cons on both sides.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:17 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
S320 GL350
Leather in all 2006

A little known detail is the "base option" for seat material in 2006 for R's included leather seating surfaces (butt, thigh, and back) with the rest in Artico (side bolsters and entire back seats).

I do like the feel of the leather - but expect the ARTICO to be very resilient and tough over the years.

Last edited by rosswell; 10-23-2008 at 12:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-23-2008, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
I think this topic was addressed here awhile back, but this board doesn't get much use so most of the topics fade off the board in short time. If your really interested in getting the full leather package (which was nearly $3k if I remember right) you might be able to put in a special order. I'm pretty sure all R production takes place in Alabama and they still offer different interior combination for euro spec R's like the suede/mb tex sport interiors, so they might still offer full leather for the euro spec R's. It would be pretty pricey adding to the already steep price of $3k.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by chilledbenz
I think this topic was addressed here awhile back, but this board doesn't get much use so most of the topics fade off the board in short time. If your really interested in getting the full leather package (which was nearly $3k if I remember right) you might be able to put in a special order. I'm pretty sure all R production takes place in Alabama and they still offer different interior combination for euro spec R's like the suede/mb tex sport interiors, so they might still offer full leather for the euro spec R's. It would be pretty pricey adding to the already steep price of $3k.
Sorry if this was discussed before, I only noticed when looking at the 2009 brochure and subsequently at the configuration tool. Even though I perfer the MB "cars" I always considered the R to be the most premium of the SUVs. They are very nice to be driven in.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
Sorry if this was discussed before, I only noticed when looking at the 2009 brochure and subsequently at the configuration tool. Even though I perfer the MB "cars" I always considered the R to be the most premium of the SUVs. They are very nice to be driven in.
Oh no worries, like I said the threads fall off this particular board fast due to inactivity. I love my R, but on the "scale" of MB SUV's it falls somewhere between the ML 350 and the GL430. The GL550 is the top of the line or flagship as they like to call it. The GL550 comes standard with full leather and the 320 and 430 have leather as an option for $2,130. I think the leather package was dropped from the R class because it was just too expensive and no one was buying it. I would still take my R class over the ML or GL I love it that much.

Last edited by chilledbenz; 10-23-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:21 PM

2005 C230 Kompressor
Ive seen a few with leather but didnt pay attention to were they were going. All 251s are built here in Alabama. I will investigate and post back up my findings.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:36 AM

2005 C230 Kompressor
Leather seats are available, talked to a friend that works on that part of the assembly line last night were the seats are installed.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by VelociRaptor
Leather seats are available, talked to a friend that works on that part of the assembly line last night were the seats are installed.
Thanks for the research, did you by chance ask or see if any US models are still being built with leather (it could be export only now)?
Old 10-29-2008, 12:39 PM

1963 220Sb
yea on MBUSA def no leather option.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:39 PM

2005 C230 Kompressor
Didnt have time, may be non-US models. I have seen leather in them when I put the doors on but never have payed attention to were they are going.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Almost a Member!

No Leather - plus a lot more

I might have been the one that started this some weeks ago as we were hoping to get another R to replace our '06. and I believe I posted about the leather issue. I've already talked to MB in Germany and they won't accept a special order. In addition to no leather, there is no heating package - so no heated rear seats; these are not included in the three-zone climate package. Also, no air suspension and no xenon (HID) headlamps. And since there's no leather, there's also no extra interior lighting (ambient lighting, though I bet the wiring is still there). Also, no 6-seat with center console option. There's no console option, and if you order the packages, the 7-seat option is automatic. I realize they couldn't sell these things until they substantially dropped the price point, but why take the choices away for those who want them - and, as far as I can tell, every one of these options is available for cars delivered in other countries. Hello, Marketing Department??

So, sadly, although this is one wonderful car and we would have got another in a minute, it's no more R - and probably no MB sadly - for us. The only other 6 and 7 seaters we're considering - and we didn't want an SUV - are the X5 - cannot sit in the third row seat at all - LR3 - a truck with poor mileage, and Audi Q7. Every one of these offers all the options R has, plus all the ones no longer offered.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by crjag
I might have been the one that started this some weeks ago as we were hoping to get another R to replace our '06. and I believe I posted about the leather issue. I've already talked to MB in Germany and they won't accept a special order. In addition to no leather, there is no heating package - so no heated rear seats; these are not included in the three-zone climate package. Also, no air suspension and no xenon (HID) headlamps. And since there's no leather, there's also no extra interior lighting (ambient lighting, though I bet the wiring is still there). Also, no 6-seat with center console option. There's no console option, and if you order the packages, the 7-seat option is automatic. I realize they couldn't sell these things until they substantially dropped the price point, but why take the choices away for those who want them - and, as far as I can tell, every one of these options is available for cars delivered in other countries. Hello, Marketing Department??

So, sadly, although this is one wonderful car and we would have got another in a minute, it's no more R - and probably no MB sadly - for us. The only other 6 and 7 seaters we're considering - and we didn't want an SUV - are the X5 - cannot sit in the third row seat at all - LR3 - a truck with poor mileage, and Audi Q7. Every one of these offers all the options R has, plus all the ones no longer offered.
I am probably the biggest opponent of de-contenting (or in this case de-optioning, which makes no sense whatsoever). I invite you to join www.gernerationbenz.com, a forum run by MBUSA to get feedback directly from customers.

I have the same username, except the ü has been replaced by ??

Last edited by Untertürkheim; 10-29-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks. I tried, but they didn't want me. I don't work for a car company, so I must be too old!!
Old 10-31-2008, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by crjag
Thanks. I tried, but they didn't want me. I don't work for a car company, so I must be too old!!
I am very sorry about that, I am well established at genbenz, and I just sent the moderator an email expressing my discontent with your denial.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
crjag, have you considered the GL. Three rows of seating that adults can fit in, leather package, heating package, just about everything under the sun. Only draw back is the price point being higher than an R class, it is quite a jump to go from an R to a GL in price.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by chilledbenz
crjag, have you considered the GL. Three rows of seating that adults can fit in, leather package, heating package, just about everything under the sun. Only draw back is the price point being higher than an R class, it is quite a jump to go from an R to a GL in price.
Honestly, I would rather have an R over a GL, even at the same price.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Almost a Member!

Thank you Untertürkheim and ChilledBenz. For us, I agree with Untertürkheim that the R is the better choice, one reason for which is the lower step-in height which is nice for our aged parents, but yes, ChilledBenz we have looked at GL. The initial drawbacks were less second row room - the R is simply cavernous inside - lower gas mileage and height, but I understand that there may be an even more attractive program coming soon, which could offset the much higher price. I will let you all know.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:13 AM

2005 C230 Kompressor
Both of them are built here in Vance Alabama so it doesnt matter to me which one you buy lol!