Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
R500's an amazing car

happy new year everyone,

just spent 11 hours driving from Tahoe down to LA.
it should have taken 7.5 hrs, but it began to snow just as we were leaving so the first 3 miles took us about 3 hours. so many people were slowed down and blocking the roads as they had to stop to put on chains. nice to have four wheel drive. i think for most daily driving, my wife and i don't fully appreciate how nice the R is.

what's amazing for me is that i drove the entire 11 hours vs. having my wife take over part of the shift. i previously heard R-owners claim that it was as comfortable for hwy cruising as an S-class, but i didn't really understand that until this trip. further, i've drivin in other comfortable cars that were roomy, including late model Toyota Sienna. for me, the Sienna didn't feel as secure or solid for the hwy or for spirited driving. my E-class wagon was solid, but it wasn't as comfortable. The S-class was very comfortable, but i think the R-class seats are better designed...plus sitting upright was nice.

btw, during the twisties, it was really nice having the manual 7-speed and i could keep it locked in 4th or 5th gear. during the grapevine, i did most of it in 6th gear.

p.s. i took the car a car wash in LA, and i made it a point to tell the workers not to clean/touch the steering wheel buttons. last month during my visit to MB dealer for my 2002 S-Class, they detailed the car but accidentally stripped away the clear coat - now it's all gummy and they're going to order new buttons that will cost $200-300.
Patrick