R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

R class future

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:40 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
S320 GL350
R proves itself yet again...

The funny part here is that once again the R is generating alot of discussion. It's rather hard to define or pin down...and this is why it was designed and built - to create a new "class" of vehicle in the market. Regardless of what it is ... it's been my smartest purchase ever. Just drove back through the "cowboy trail" on the weekend through some mountain ranges - beautiful scenery - twisty road - and four passengers with two hockey bags - all oblivious to me doing 170 Km/h. Can you say 'multi-purpose?'

Don't forget about the high end drive train (motor, trans, 4matic) under the skin. R is now cheap like borsche (not porsche). And everyone else will silently think you're rich.

Just do it.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
After testing both the GL and R, the R has a slightly more cramped third row. Because the GL is taller, it has a taller leg room area above the rear differential. This allows your legs to sit flatly on the third row's cushion rather than the R, your knees are above the cushion. R has a curved headroom area which means less room, and the new 09 has cheaped out rear armrests that are now hard plastic instead of leather. The GL is appointed better with the leather dash, door panel inserts, and third row armrests. Just my $0.02
The GL is $10k more than an R class, without discounts so it should look better than the R class in theory. Although the GL interior is almost identical to that of an ML, so your paying a premium for that leather covered dash lol.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
@chilledbenz,
Yeah, I realize the R is cheaper, but that wasn't my point. My point was the interior is slightly nicer. Shame no Rs have the V8 anymore.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 Kompressor
We still have the R500 hardmarks for the rear on the assembly line(thats one of the stations I do) and we also have a R550 hardmark(that I have yet to use). They may not be available at the moment but they(being MB) havent removed them from the assembly line for a reason.....IMHO.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:21 PM

R350
Sorry, what is a hardmark?
Old 01-29-2009, 09:49 PM

2005 C230 Kompressor
The emblems on the car. Thats what we call em at the plant.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Originally Posted by VelociRaptor
We still have the R500 hardmarks for the rear on the assembly line(thats one of the stations I do) and we also have a R550 hardmark(that I have yet to use). They may not be available at the moment but they(being MB) havent removed them from the assembly line for a reason.....IMHO.
yes, similar to GL550...i think R550 would have been a nice car.
as for interiors, i've seen the GL's and ML's, and imho they are not nicer than R's. also, regardless of what the specifications say, the R class 2nd and 3rd row have more room than the GL's.
Patrick
Old 01-30-2009, 02:22 PM

R350 | X1 | Cayenne
The R class has a better leg room on the third row than the GL.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:43 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
Originally Posted by BallJack
The R class has a better leg room on the third row than the GL.
I guess only better leg room if you move second row seats forward.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
I climbed into the third row of both and found the R class to have more room as well.

I also found that if the GL isn't equipped with memory seats, you have a heck of a time trying to even get into the third row. If it has memory seats you just pull the lever for the second row and the front seat will move forward automatically, allowing the second row to tilt all the way forward. The problem arises when the GL isn't equipped with memory seats, because when you pull the handle to flip the second row forward it will hit the front seat not allowing access. Only when the person sitting in the front seat moves their seat forward and allows the second row to flip forward will you be able to even get into the third row. Although the memory seat option is part of the P1 group and lets face it, all GL's will have P1 unless you special ordered.

The R class isn't without problems either. When you pull the handle to flip the second row forward the head rest will hit the front seat, hence you must remove the head rest, or squeeze into the third row. Its not really that much of a squeeze, cause I've done it myself, but its much easier without the head rest in place. For me its much easier to remove a head rest than to have the person in the front seat have to readjust their seat every time someone wants in the third row.

I do like the GL's slick power fold option for the third row though. It's nearly impossible to fold the third row seat in the R class from the hatch area, a power button would be nice. The GL third row also folds flat into the floor without the rear cushions popping up, which is also a nice touch.

But in the end, I wouldn't want to spend any long amount of time in either third row, which makes the R class second row all that more inviting. If you slide the second row all the way back you could easily install some Maybach recliners back there for some real nice motoring ha ha.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:15 PM

2005 C230 Kompressor
Built my first R550 ever this week, it was Japan spec'd. Hopefully this engine will be more common!
Old 05-07-2009, 01:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
X166, 997
make the rear doors automatic

I bet if MB made the rear doors automatic somehow, their sales would soar.

I know a good amount of minivan owners who said that's the one thing that prevented them from buying the R...and after owning the R, while i love it, I know what they mean.

Last edited by davidbho; 05-07-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:41 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
Originally Posted by davidbho

I know a good amount of minivan owners who said that's the one thing that prevented them from buying the R...and after owning the R, while i love it, I know what they mean.
MB will refuse to do it because when accident happens sliding door will be difficult to open than regular door.
I have no problem.(Just be careful when you open it or give warning to your passengers)
Old 05-09-2009, 11:48 PM

Chrysler 300C SRT8

Originally Posted by AsianR350
MB will refuse to do it because when accident happens sliding door will be difficult to open than regular door.
I have no problem.(Just be careful when you open it or give warning to your passengers)
My input here on the hinged -vs- sliding doors:
I believe Mercedes choice to install hinged doors was simply to distance the car from the minivan image. Their safety reason carries minimal weight; there are two doors on that side and the other is hinged. Also, in certain collisions a hinged door would be more difficult to open. And if the car was submerged, a hinged door is much more difficult to open against the pressure of the water.
The hinged door is one reason against the R-Class in my book. They are too large and are difficult to open in parking places (or in your garage). The only thing against sliding doors is image, of which I care little. Actually, a motorized sliding door is cooler in my mind (and so much more useful) than any other style of opening.

I believe marketing won out over engineering on this one.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:55 PM

R500
Originally Posted by VelociRaptor
Built my first R550 ever this week, it was Japan spec'd. Hopefully this engine will be more common!
Have you ever built any R550 that is for the Canadian market? Went to a MB dealer in Toronto yesterday and they said they have a 2008 R550 available.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
+1 for desiring sliding doors.
that said, if R-class was more popular i would NOT have been able to buy a 2.5 yr old $70k car w/ a 5 yrs/100k warranty for $25k.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:16 PM

Chrysler 300C SRT8
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
+1 for desiring sliding doors.
that said, if R-class was more popular i would NOT have been able to buy a 2.5 yr old $70k car w/ a 5 yrs/100k warranty for $25k.
Ha haaa... x2 for appreciation of depreciation!
Old 05-11-2009, 06:33 PM

2005 C230 Kompressor
I seen a guy on here thats got or says hes got an R550, I know Ive never done but that one last week(been doing this since the first year of the R class) but dont know if the other shift has done one or not- its possible.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:59 PM

Q & R

After spending the past 6 years in a Sienna and Odyssey, we are ready for the R. The MB build quality, driving experience and saftey are winners. The Ody we have has not had the expected stellar reliability that many think Honda has.

The biggest concern I have is the wide doors that the kiddos will not be able to handle. But I drive a Q7 and use it on weekends. It takes more attention for the kiddos getting in/out than the Odyssey. Its like being a chauffer.

Has anyone tried the S class doors? It has pneumatic travel limiters that sets the door at the position you leave it, infinitely adjustable, and it has power door latching - you know like the trunk. If you haven't go to your local MB dealer and check it out.We should petition MB to add this to the R!