R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

R class future

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R
R class future

What is the thinking as far as the future of the R? (I am close to pulling the trigger on buying one)

From what I've read, the R has not sold well, but what was MB's plan for number of units?

What is MB's history with underperforming models (if the R is actually underperforming since it was introduced)?
Old 01-19-2009, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Don't think MB has ever had a model as "underperforming" as the R-class.

Recent sales worldwide are in the hundreds per month.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:52 AM

97 850/ 78 Corvette
I think that discontiuing the R500 was a clear sign that they're not popular. I rarely see them on the roads, but IMO they're very nice. Hopefully the diesel catches on..
Old 01-25-2009, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Except that with the diesel, you have to have runflat tires.

This seemingly is Mercedes' way of saying "we don't want to sell diesels."
Old 01-25-2009, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
I just posted a thread last week on the future of the R. For now there is a mild update planned for the 2010 model consisting of a new front clip, including headlights and grille, new taillights, mirrors, and most likely a new wheel design. There hasn't been any talk of interior tweaks as the 09 model got most of them, but new seats will probably be included to follow in line with the ML. After that, MB is shooting for an all new R class in 2013.

As far as numbers go, according to the article I posted in the other thread, MB originally planned to sell 25,000 R classes a year and they beat that number for 2006 in its first model year, selling 2,500 per month. After the launch though its been downhill ever since and they only sold 7,733 in all of 2008.

I loved the looks of the R class or I wouldn't have bought one, I think its great that I can drive through six states on a vacation and not see another car like my own. I have had people come up to me at gas stations and wonder what kind of car I'm driving cause they have never seen one. To be honest the front end is the most controversial and from the sounds of the new update, MB will address that and see where it takes them. It's probably a little over due as the update should have came for 2009 along with the interior updates, but at least they are willing to keep it in the line up.

If all else fails, MB needs to relegate the R class to the same setup as the R63 was, in that it should be sold to order only. There were nearly 8 thousand people that fell in love with the R class last year and if they are concerned about sales, just set it up at as a sold to order option, that way there isn't all the dealer inventory.

By the way, as far as the under performing comment... the SLR and the Maybach haven't been selling well, although both of those cars are really specialty cars and they don't expect to sell high numbers of them. The SL 600 is a very hard car to move off lots and while I have no official numbers I would have to say the worst selling car in the lineup is the G class hands down. But each of those cars listed above are some what specialty cars in that you won't find mass numbers sitting on lots and most are special ordered by the dealership. If they use the same approach with the R class there wouldn't be as many grumblings, although all the discounts we are seeing would disappear fast.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Almost a Member!

2008 C300 Iridium Silver. 2009 Black R350
I have been eyeing on the 2009 R350matic too. Now i am waiting for a sweeter deal as the year progress. and below is how i made my decision.

1. Safety
2. comfort
3. function
4. pricing
5. style
Old 01-26-2009, 09:42 AM

R350 | X1 | Cayenne
The R Class seems to have come out ahead of its time. MB was creating a niche for such a car. Unfortunately, the public was not ready for such a vehicle. Slowly, other manufacturers seem to follow suit and develop similar cars now. Now we're seeing Ford Flex, Toyota Venza, and BMW is rumored to come out with its own people mover too.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:04 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
Originally Posted by BallJack
The R Class seems to have come out ahead of its time. MB was creating a niche for such a car. Unfortunately, the public was not ready for such a vehicle. Slowly, other manufacturers seem to follow suit and develop similar cars now. Now we're seeing Ford Flex, Toyota Venza, and BMW is rumored to come out with its own people mover too.
Righ on!
Chevy, Buick also copy from MB R Class too.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by BallJack
The R Class seems to have come out ahead of its time. MB was creating a niche for such a car.
That may be techncially true, but I think in the real world people just see it as yet another minivan. It doesn't look much different than an Odyssey.

It's one thing to move up from an inexpensive sedan to a sedan with engineering, but I think people don't see it that way in the minivan segment. Just look at all the posts here where the first question concerns "reliabilty" and not "driving experience." Most Americans would feel guilt in putting the kiddies in something that provides a "driving experience."
Old 01-26-2009, 11:39 AM

R
I see the R class as much of a mini van as i see my GMC Yukon a mini van. The R is not a mini van, not an SUV, not a sedan....
I think MB is having problems telling the masses what it is.

My impression on the test drive was it was roomier than a station wagon and much more comfortable to drive than an SUV.
I liked it even more once I drove it.

Now, just need to get a dealer to get me a deal.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:46 AM

97 850/ 78 Corvette
Ours was $380/ month incl TTL for 39 months, 15k year
Old 01-26-2009, 01:44 PM

R350 | X1 | Cayenne
Originally Posted by lkchris
That may be techncially true, but I think in the real world people just see it as yet another minivan. It doesn't look much different than an Odyssey.

It's one thing to move up from an inexpensive sedan to a sedan with engineering, but I think people don't see it that way in the minivan segment. Just look at all the posts here where the first question concerns "reliabilty" and not "driving experience." Most Americans would feel guilt in putting the kiddies in something that provides a "driving experience."
You're right about people seeing the R class as another minivan - a glorified minivan. But actually if you look closely and look at its dimensions, the R class is more like an Audi Q7 (with a lower ground clearance) than a Honda Odyssey.

Nonetheless, everytime my family goes out, my kids will ask "What are we taking - the car or the van?" to which I reply - the van. And I don't have a slight reservation about it. But heck, I paid the same price on it as I would have on a Honda Odyssey - well maybe a couple thousand more. But two totally different animals.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:17 PM

R350
I have an Odyssey (Touring) and an R 350. Completely different cars and both serve their purpose well. We use the Odyssey when we are going on trips with the baby. It's spacious, the doors open and close automatically, and has the reliability of a Honda. It doesn't have AWD and it looks and drives like, well, a mini-van.

The R looks more wagon-ish but futuristic in my book. It can seat 6 including the baby comfortably albeit a little more labor when taking the baby in and out of the seat. It drives like German car, that is to say it handles like it's on rails (I have the 19in. rims) and I feel confident in all weather conditions and driving on the beach (4Matic).

I agree that MB made this car ahead of its time.

Last edited by rickpo; 01-26-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
It technically can't be a mini van by classification because it is offered in a short wheel base giving it only room for five. That version isn't available in the states, but it is made none the less, so in my book that takes it out of the mini van category ha ha.

It will be interesting to see how the R class fares in coming months. The above mentioned Ford Flex and Toyota Venza are at dealerships, just as the Chrysler Pacifica and Ford Taurus X are dieing off. Guess its like anything else, as long as its new and improved it sells, as soon as it gets some age on it, you have trouble selling it.

Before someone mentions the similarities between the Pacifica and R class let me say that I have a neighbor with one and the two are nothing alike. The only thing that brings to two together is the fact that at the time of introduction their parent company's were merged.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Various opinions here are interesting, but the "market" sees the R as a minivan and that's what counts. Most of the market will see the Honda as a much better choice. I don't agree, but that's not important--what's important is what the market thinks and that's why MB sells less than a thousand a month.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Looks like we can add Honda to the wanna be R class segment. There is still a niche for the R class, MB just needs to find it a new face, lets hope they are onto something with the refresh in 2010.

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=810703
Old 01-27-2009, 08:39 PM

2005 C230 Kompressor
I know one thing, China is eatin these R classes up. Just about every one of the R class Ive built so far this year is going over there. I havent built a single US R class in the past 2 weeks, maybe night shift is building some for here.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:40 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
Originally Posted by VelociRaptor
I know one thing, China is eatin these R classes up. Just about every one of the R class Ive built so far this year is going over there. I havent built a single US R class in the past 2 weeks, maybe night shift is building some for here.
You are correct. They love R Class because It is "People Mover (Minivan)" and love Three Pointed Star.
C Class is also built there as well as in my native country (Vietnam).C Class costs Approx. $80,000 US Dollars in VN

C/P
Daimler says Mercedes sales in China surged 42 percent in the first quarter. Sales of R-class minivans jumped 110 percent while those of M-, G- and GL-class SUVs doubled. The company says China is the second-biggest market for its S-class sedans, behind only the United States, and accounts for one-third of global Mercedes

Last edited by AsianR350; 01-27-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
i saw quite a few R's in HK last week, though all were R350's. also of interest, HK has quite a few Honda and Toyota vans than we have.

on a separate note, i had a one-day business trip today with 3 people and went 425 miles. i was tempted to take my S55, but i think the R was more comfortable to drive and be able to talk in the car. it's a bit bigger, but an excellent alternative to our previous E-wagon(and i got 20 mpg).
Patrick
Old 01-28-2009, 12:32 PM

12 E550
I don't know the stats but I see a ton of them in NY metro area. They are everywhere. Love the size, the way it drives and handles and the sedan like feeling. The exterior design is cutting edge and the well appointed interior is much better than the ML or GL class. So take advantage of the great deals out there. It is the best MB value out there. You get a lot of Mercedes for the money especially now.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:00 PM

R350 | X1 | Cayenne
Originally Posted by mitaka
I don't know the stats but I see a ton of them in NY metro area. They are everywhere. Love the size, the way it drives and handles and the sedan like feeling. The exterior design is cutting edge and the well appointed interior is much better than the ML or GL class. So take advantage of the great deals out there. It is the best MB value out there. You get a lot of Mercedes for the money especially now.
Ditto. I suddenly notice the R class more frequently now. I guess a lot of people have taken notice of how great a deal for the money it is now. I'm one of them - was originally in the market for a Honda Odyssey Touring. But then discovered I could get the R350 for almost the same price. After a trip to the dealership, I never turned back. It was my best purchase ever.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by mitaka
the well appointed interior is much better than the ML or GL class.
Well I have a GL and ride frequently in the dealer's R-class shuttle car, and I note no difference in interior appointments. I do note that it's a lot smaller interior.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:56 PM

R350 | X1 | Cayenne
Well I have a GL and ride frequently in the dealer's R-class shuttle car, and I note no difference in interior appointments. I do note that it's a lot smaller interior.

Hhmm. Let's see:
Cargo (cu. ft): GL = 14.3, R = 15.2
Max Cargo Vol: GL = 83.3, R = 85
Length: GL = 200.6, R = 203
Width: GL = 75.6, R = 77.1
Headroom front: GL = 40.1, R = 39.8
Headroom rear: GL = 40.6, R = 40.4
Legroom front: GL = 40.3, R = 39.8
Legroom rear: GL = 39.5, R = 36.2
No data for 3rd row. The R class can seat adults more comfortably in the third row.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
After testing both the GL and R, the R has a slightly more cramped third row. Because the GL is taller, it has a taller leg room area above the rear differential. This allows your legs to sit flatly on the third row's cushion rather than the R, your knees are above the cushion. R has a curved headroom area which means less room, and the new 09 has cheaped out rear armrests that are now hard plastic instead of leather. The GL is appointed better with the leather dash, door panel inserts, and third row armrests. Just my $0.02
Old 01-28-2009, 08:23 PM

MB R350 4Matic, Audi A4
Various opinions here are interesting, but the "market" sees the R as a minivan and that's what counts. Most of the market will see the Honda as a much better choice. I don't agree, but that's not important--what's important is what the market thinks and that's why MB sells less than a thousand a month.
And you have a study that supports that the R class is seen as a minivan by the "market"? I have people come up to me and ask whether it's a wagon, an SUV, or a minivan. In other words, the "market" can't tell what it is.

And how can the Odyssey be the better choice for relatively the same price as the R350? What's obvious is, the R350 is a lot better choice than the GL nowadays. If I can buy a brand new GL for around 40K, then I'll take it in a heartbeat. Until then, the R class is the obvious winner.

Sorry I don't mean to invite flame here. The R class is what it is. People hate it and other people love it. It's all relative. Obviously, you hate it and I LOVE it!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: R class future