R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

R350 vs Subaru Tribeca...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VW Golf, Subaru Impreza OBS
R350 vs Subaru Tribeca...

I'm looking a variety of 6-7 passenger vehicles, that aren't minivans, and I'm wondering if anyone here has compared the R350 to the Subaru Tribeca?... I'm a big Subaru fan, and have owned Impreza's since 1994. I've never owned a Mercedes. I'm looking at 2006-2007 R350 (CPO) vs. a 2007-2008 Tribeca (CPO) with similar mileage for similar money. I'm still just shopping on paper, so here goes the quesitons...

1. Can anyone provide a comparison of the seating space for all three rows in the Tribeca vs. the R350?
2. How about real world MPG?
3. Real ownership costs.
4. Any other head to head comparisons between these vehicles, from first hand experience?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2009, 06:34 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
I am sure all R owners will be favor the R, just as you ask question in Subaru forum.

I just happen to read on line. Subaru Tribeca B9 is on the list of 10 worst car to buy. (NO DETAIL GIVING)

C/P:
The readers of The Truth About Cars have voted, and the results do not bode well for Detroit. Nine of the top bottom 10 are from Detroit, and six of those from GM alone. The ratings were based on aesthetics, engineering, ergonomics, driving dynamics and/or brand authenticity, and it’s clear that domestic automakers have to lift their game before they can compete on the world stage. Subaru's Tribeca was the only non-American entry on the list. Oh, and while they’re at it, maybe they could dump the lame product names. Chevrolet’s Monte Carlo anyone?

The list is as follows:

1) GM Minivans (Chevrolet Uplander, Saturn Relay, Buick Terraza, Pontiac SV6)

2) Jeep Compass

3) Buick Rendezvous

4) Chrysler Aspen

5) Hummer H2

6) Chevrolet Monte Carlo

7) Subaru B9 Tribeca

8) Saab 9-7x

9) Lincoln Mark LT

10) Chevrolet Aveo
Old 05-13-2009, 09:09 AM

r320cdi 2007
does the 350 come in diesel? i saw that was one of your questions.
have you looked at the R320CDI?
Old 05-13-2009, 05:24 PM

r class 350
The gas mileage we got on a trip was 20/22 mpg and locally about 18. The biggest reason to buy a used MB from our experience is the service is wonderful. This R (we purchased used from a used car lot) is our 3rd MB having leased 2 (E350 and CLK). E was used and CLK new. MB covers almost everything under their guarantee of 50,000/5 year. In our case our dealer (who we did not buy/lease from in 2 cases) comes and picks up the car and drops off a loaner if needed. The car comes back washed and vacuumed which is a plus. After purchasing this used R we were in FLA when a service light came on. We called local MB and they said come on in and if need be we'll give you a loaner. As it was not necessary it was taken care of in less than an hour and they had a beautiful buffet for breakfast for us while we waited. You tell me if that isn't service what is. I'm sure Subaru or most dealerships don't have the service MB does. Oh and btw for our 06' R with nav., pano roof, AWD, heated seats etc was only $23,900 with only 11,000 miles. So we are covered until July 2010. Just be sure to go to MB USA to let them know you purchased a MB and they'll register it under your name. Hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:16 PM

12 E550
Another Joke Question?

First someone asked R class vs Ford Flex... now this...
Old 05-15-2009, 10:23 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
GLE450 Coupe and C300w4
Originally Posted by mitaka
First someone asked R class vs Ford Flex... now this...
Seriously...Why not compare the R-Class to every car that has 4 doors, 4 wheels and room for six. I rented a Mazda 5 hatchback- that had seating for 6, why not compare those two. Not to sound like an a-hole, but the prices on the R-class are low because of a lack of sales, gas prices going up last summer and the economy. It's still a luxury car built by a luxury brand. If you can get one for the same price as a standard brand like Ford or Subaru, do it. Just realize that you will get more for what you're paying- more safety, better fit and finish and better quality overall. You will probably pay a little more in the long run because service and parts will be higher than a Ford or Subaru, so cost of ownership will be higher.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
I think the poster should go with the Subaru and the other guy with the Ford Flex. When people make comparisons like that it shows they don't see the difference (or they don't care which is fine by me) and they don't appreciate MB vehicles in general. It's like going to a Rolex watch forum and asking them if they have considered the latest Timex... They both tell time!

Last edited by aggst1; 05-15-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:39 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
Originally Posted by aggst1
I think the poster should go with the Subaru and the other guy with the Ford Flex. When people make comparisons like that it shows they don't see the difference (or they don't care which is fine by me) and they don't appreciate MB vehicles in general. It's like going to a Rolex watch forum and asking them if they have considered the latest Timex... They both tell time!
I have seen his post in Subaru forum and and you know the bias answer from there.

1. Can anyone provide a comparison of the seating space for all three rows in the Tribeca vs. the R350? On paper R350 =203" L Versus 189.8 L. R is 13.2" longer (More room in R350 for sure) + for R
2. How about real world MPG? R350 = 15/19 MPG Versus 18/ 23MPH + for Tribeca (Not much)
3. Real ownership costs. R = expensive
4. Any other head to head comparisons between these vehicles, from first hand experience? R is large crossover, Tribeca is Midsize cross over.(No comparision)
Conclusion: R is a winner = Handling, Super ride, Roomier, Preminum vehicle.

Last edited by AsianR350; 05-15-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:11 PM

12 E550
Originally Posted by aggst1
aggst1... you nailed it. that is exactly what I was thinking...
Old 05-18-2009, 04:21 PM

VW Golf, Subaru Impreza OBS
Hey, look... thoughtful and honest responses that a person can actually use.

Thanks pepper & Asian, I appreciate it.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:23 AM

R350
Here are my impressions after 60 days with our CPO R-class (r350):

1. Can anyone provide a comparison of the seating space for all three rows in the Tribeca vs. the R350? - i think the R-class has a lot more room in the 2nd row and the seats in all 3 rows are much more comfy, but that is my impression only, no real proof other then test driving.
2. How about real world MPG? - i have gotten 19 MPG on average exactly for 3,000 miles. The car gets 17 - 18 in the city and we can get 24 on the freeway at 80 MPH if it's pretty flat - 23 is more realistic. For me this is pretty damn good for a car this big.
3. Real ownership costs. Will be more i suspect, however to date this car has cost me not much - i do the air filter, etc. and let a local certified MBZ place do the Oil. So i have no real world experience yet. However once my car hits close to the end of warranty i will be buying some sort of extended warranty. Worth it in my opinion. I would probably do this with any car i purchased that was as sophisticated as this car.
4. Any other head to head comparisons between these vehicles, from first hand experience? I liked the R-class a lot better. THere is a ton of room in the front seats and the panoramic roof is stellar. All the fit and finish on ours is outstanding - the cabin is really quiet and you can really tell there are high grade materials used in the interior and exterior. We love our r class and really like the comfort of the front and middle row seats. I think it comes down to what you like - they are both nice cars. I think the r-class gives you a little more exclusivity and may cost little more in maintenance - but to me it is worth a chance and we are loving our choice so far - we plan on keeping this car until it dies. And yes i love the 7 speed auto, try and guess when this thing shifts.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:33 AM

GLE450 Coupe and C300w4
Originally Posted by janthenat
Hey, look... thoughtful and honest responses that a person can actually use.

Thanks pepper & Asian, I appreciate it.

Ok- here are some questions for you. How tall are you? How tall is/are your passengers? How is your driving style? What kind of gear do you typically haul? Where do you live? What are insurance rates like in your area? Have you test driven the cars you're interested in? What kind of differences do you expect in a car that MSRP's for $50k+ versus a car that MSRP's for $30k+? Are you prepared to pay $250-$350 per year for oil changes and more for maintenance costs?

These are genuine questions that will have a direct correlation to what your impressions are of the R-class versus the Subaru. The Tribeca is based on legacy frame and transmission, very different feel. Your driving style and seating position will have some results of your enjoyment of the car. I'm 6-3 and sit low in my seat and I thought the Escalade (when I test drove it) was horrible but think my R fits me like a glove. Safety wise, I personally would not put my family into a Japanese economy car.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 C300 Iridium Silver. 2009 Black R350
Originally Posted by heron25
Ok- here are some questions for you. How tall are you? How tall is/are your passengers? How is your driving style? What kind of gear do you typically haul? Where do you live? What are insurance rates like in your area? Have you test driven the cars you're interested in? What kind of differences do you expect in a car that MSRP's for $50k+ versus a car that MSRP's for $30k+? Are you prepared to pay $250-$350 per year for oil changes and more for maintenance costs?

These are genuine questions that will have a direct correlation to what your impressions are of the R-class versus the Subaru. The Tribeca is based on legacy frame and transmission, very different feel. Your driving style and seating position will have some results of your enjoyment of the car. I'm 6-3 and sit low in my seat and I thought the Escalade (when I test drove it) was horrible but think my R fits me like a glove. Safety wise, I personally would not put my family into a Japanese economy car.
I would go with a MB when I do long distance driving (100 +miles one way). suspension and seats are much more comfortable than my other Hondas, and there is minimal road noise when driving a MB thus makes the trip more enjoyable and short.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:02 PM

CL63, 2014 ML63, 2008 ML63, R500, GLK
There is no comparison between the R-class and a Subaru.

The Mercedes is a luxury vehicle. It drives, feels and sounds(no road noise at all). Its going to be more pricey new, but certified pre-owned are quite competitive cost-wise.

I got my wife a 06 R500 and I like it more than my Jaguar. Get the Mercedes and be done with it. You wont be sorry.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:04 PM

CL63, 2014 ML63, 2008 ML63, R500, GLK
Originally Posted by jhepworth
Here are my impressions after 60 days with our CPO R-class (r350):

1. Can anyone provide a comparison of the seating space for all three rows in the Tribeca vs. the R350? - i think the R-class has a lot more room in the 2nd row and the seats in all 3 rows are much more comfy, but that is my impression only, no real proof other then test driving.
2. How about real world MPG? - i have gotten 19 MPG on average exactly for 3,000 miles. The car gets 17 - 18 in the city and we can get 24 on the freeway at 80 MPH if it's pretty flat - 23 is more realistic. For me this is pretty damn good for a car this big.
3. Real ownership costs. Will be more i suspect, however to date this car has cost me not much - i do the air filter, etc. and let a local certified MBZ place do the Oil. So i have no real world experience yet. However once my car hits close to the end of warranty i will be buying some sort of extended warranty. Worth it in my opinion. I would probably do this with any car i purchased that was as sophisticated as this car.
4. Any other head to head comparisons between these vehicles, from first hand experience? I liked the R-class a lot better. THere is a ton of room in the front seats and the panoramic roof is stellar. All the fit and finish on ours is outstanding - the cabin is really quiet and you can really tell there are high grade materials used in the interior and exterior. We love our r class and really like the comfort of the front and middle row seats. I think it comes down to what you like - they are both nice cars. I think the r-class gives you a little more exclusivity and may cost little more in maintenance - but to me it is worth a chance and we are loving our choice so far - we plan on keeping this car until it dies. And yes i love the 7 speed auto, try and guess when this thing shifts.

First hand experience:

Had 5 guys out on a night on the town.... I'm 5'10, my friends are 6'1, 5'9, 6'5 and 6'2. PLENTY of room in all seats, including 3rd row.

One of them commented that the 2nd row seats rival a Maybach in roominess.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:30 PM

C36 AMG, E46 M3 Coupe
Originally Posted by princemarko
There is no comparison between the R-class and a Subaru.

The Mercedes is a luxury vehicle. It drives, feels and sounds(no road noise at all). Its going to be more pricey new, but certified pre-owned are quite competitive cost-wise.

I got my wife a 06 R500 and I like it more than my Jaguar. Get the Mercedes and be done with it. You wont be sorry.
I agree, to 100%!!!
You just can't compare these vehicles.
I just got my wife a CPO 07 R350 yesterday and traded in our Jeep Commander, after checking out the market for quite some time. We also were looking into other vehicles, but I can assure you that there is no better car out there (in reg. to quality, comfort, luxury, space, price) if you need at least some space in the trunk and a third row and you don't want either a Minivan or Oversized SUV like a Suburban.
(This statement is only valid for the pre-owned R's, the depreciation on new ones during the first 2years is just unbelieveable)
Matter of fact, I think that I never got so much Mercedes for such less money before (great deals out there right now).