Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
R500 steerings/click...front noise

hi all,

besides the front CV boots and related items(that creates crunching noises when turning at slow speeds), I started to notice a very slight play in my steering wheel...and a click sound.

for the past year, MB svc tech thought it was normal and there was nothing wrong. i took it in again today, and here's the respone:

"There is a bulletin that talks about the front struts acting incorrectly due to the airmatic control module malfunctioning. He did all the test related to this and verified the concern."

Not sure how many of you have the air suspension, or have this symptom but I wanted to share this.

P.S. I will pick up the R500 tmrw and let you know if the click sound goes away.
Patrick
Old 11-10-2009, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R500
Hi there,

I notice that too in my car you and I have the same exact car!

I'm taking mine in on Monday for the steering problem and tranny hard shifting on both C&S mode.

Let us know what happened today at the MB repair.

Joyce
Old 11-13-2009, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Are you guys ready for this? (I have the air suspension)

After 6 months+ and 3 visits to MB dealer complaining of the steering wheel "play" and the clicking sound when i wiggle it, (the technician saying it's "normal" and their loaner R's are worse), the answer is:

Belletin 32.22/66d describes repair - REPLACED AIRMATIC CONTROL UNIT AS SPECIFIED IN BULLETIN. noise gone now.

this entire time, i could have sworn it was a loose steering wheel or shaft(even though I'm not mechanically inclined, it sounded like it was from there). even when MB told me this TSB was the issue, i was still puzzled/skeptical.

bottom line, I picked up the R yday and the clicking sound is GONE!

p.s. the MB service advisor had no answer when I asked why the technician didn't find this bulletin on the prior 3 visits? perhaps he was searching the "steering" and not suspension section of the TSB? either way, shouldn't TSBs be checked for all MBs coming in for service? And the dealer didn't even get their own loaners properly maintained - when I was riding there in the loaner, it was still loose/clicking.
PL
Old 11-13-2009, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 22sR500
Hi there,
I notice that too in my car you and I have the same exact car!
I'm taking mine in on Monday for the steering problem and tranny hard shifting on both C&S mode.
Let us know what happened today at the MB repair.
Joyce
Joyce, see my post on steering. also, pls update on tranny hard shifting...I'm stating to notice it a bit, but probably too difficult to duplicate currently for MB service.
Btw, do you usually use C or S mode? I've been on C mode more recently because it allows for smoother starting up from stop, and also smoother braking near complete stop.
PL
Old 11-20-2009, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R500 -06 & Corvette -98 Indy PC
For my steering wheel clicking noise they changed some parts in the steering column and the noise was gone. No mentioning about airmatic. I hope the sound is not coming back because my warranty is now over. I tried to buy MB extended warranty but I couldn't because it turned out the first owner (I bought this from second) had had the extended warranty already and canceled it.