R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Mercedes Trade and Purchases

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
Mercedes Trade and Purchases

This thread perhaps does not fall into the R-Class category so please excuse me and Mods can go ahead and slot it where appropriate.

A few months back, I went to a local Merc dealership to try and see what I can get for my 2008 R350. After talking to the salesman he encouraged me to buy a heavily discounted 2009 E320 with only 8,000 miles. I test drove it and it had all the options (except for 4Matic since it's a diesel). When we got to discussing numbers, we came to an agreement on a tentative number but I still was not 100% committed. The sales manager offered me the car to use for the afternoon and to come back before the dealership closed.

As we were waiting for the car to be prepped for my use, I had engaged some small talk with the sales manager on how popular E320 diesel's are in Europe. I had also mentioned that I go quite often and that I had shipped a Nissan Maxima a few years back to Europe where my parents are from and keep the car there for our use when we go back. It was cheaper to ship my Maxima for our yearly use than it was to buy anything locally or even rent. He then asked me that if I buy this E320 would I ship it to Europe and I said no, how can I when it won't even be paid for as I have to take out a loan for it; my R350 wasn't close to being paid off.

As I was saying this, the car came around and the sales men started to hand me the keys. The sales manager then took the keys from my hands and said I can't sell you a Mercedes sir. Have a nice day. I was shocked and asked why? He said that since I've shipped a car already, chances are good I'd ship this Mercedes and that his dealership would be fined. Then I got into technicalities in that although I have a US spec Maxima in Europe, it technically wasn't me that sent it there. My parents, who are dual citizens, actually did because the local laws in the country I had sent the car to will only allow shipments from citizens or those engaged in commercial business. When I go back, I technically need a Visa and am not considered a citizen. He didn't care and went back into his office.

Is this correct? Can he really do this? I wasn't too keen on buying the E320 in the first place. It looked like an old mans car and I'd be going from Soccer Mom Van to a retiree's sedan. At least in Europe, diesel Merc's come in sport and AMG packages that give the car a really decent, youthful look. Such packages are not avail. with US spec. versions.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:36 PM

R350 | X1 | Cayenne
I have heard of a similar story before but can't remember what MB's reason was for making sure that cars bought in the US are not to be shipped off shore. Otherwise, they will be fined.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:12 PM

Q & R
When I went shopping for the R, many dealers would ask if I was shipping overseas as the R is popular in China. They mentioned the export penalty.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:50 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
Originally Posted by cyeung65
When I went shopping for the R, many dealers would ask if I was shipping overseas as the R is popular in China. They mentioned the export penalty.
The dealer might be correct about the penalty. In Vietnam, R350L costs around $122,000 US dollars.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 183 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Yes, MBUSA will really get on any dealers participating in export of USA-spec cars--to the point of pulling their franchise.

BTY, the E320 diesel is a HUGE engine for Europe, and most diesel E-class are fitted with 4-cyl engines, closer to 2l.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
He probably can do that since you mentioned exporting vehicles.
Not exporting the vehicle out of the U.S. is one of the terms on the contract.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)
Yes. You need to sign the contract and state the MB cannot be exported outside of US.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:52 AM

R500 -06 & Corvette -98 Indy PC
Originally Posted by supernsx
Yes. You need to sign the contract and state the MB cannot be exported outside of US.
Oh, really? Good I didn't buy my R500 from the dealership then.. We are going back to Europe next summer and definitely taking my MB back there with me. Cost for me here around $24k with all taxes. Value in my home country around 60k Euros... Similar equipped new R500 would cost around 120k Euros
Old 11-21-2009, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
To me this is complete BS. I buy a vehicle and I do as I please with it since it is my property. I can see if it is a lease where I am not the owner but rather the leasing company, but if I own the vehicle and have the ownership title there is nothing anyone can do. It sounds to me that these are scare tactics by MB in order to control the flow of MB vehicles from USA to Europe or Asia. If I ever decide to transport my R500 to my home country in Europe I will do so and there is nothing MB can do to stop me. First and foremost they would have no way of knowing that the vehicle is no longer in the US. Last time I checked they don't staff all entry/exit points and ports in the USA with MB agents...
Secondly, even if they go after the dealer they would have very hard time proving the dealer was aware of the buyers plans...
This rule is designed so that a dealer in the US does not make a deal with a dealer in an other country and ship vehicles overseas, sell them for far higher price than the US and split the profits... This has been happening for years.

On a similar note, a very good friend of mine bought a special edition Porsche a couple of years ago. He bought it through the European delivery program. After he picked up the car in Germany he had 2 weeks to use it anywhere in Europe and return it to one of 5 locations for shipment to America. He decided not to do that and instead to leave the car in Europe as he goes back at least once a year. To make a long story short, he canceled the shipment to US and instead paid a fee plus EU taxes minus US sales tax. All that was totally different than what Porsche of USA had told him and had him sign... The moral of the story is that $ solves everything...

Millil, it sounds a little peculiar your dealer would give up a sale (in the middle of the worst financial crisis since the great depression) because he was suspicious you might send the car overseas... Any salesman and dealership I know would do somersaults to make a sale!

Last edited by aggst1; 11-21-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 183 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by aggst1
To me this is complete BS. I buy a vehicle and I do as I please with it since it is my property.
And MBUSA isn't going to help you. End of story.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by lkchris
And MBUSA isn't going to help you. End of story.
help me with what? What would I need MBUSA for when my vehicle would be out of the country?
Old 11-23-2009, 10:52 PM

2011 R350 BlueTec
My dealer in Madison WI had me sign something that if the car went out of the US, I'd be fined $25,000, because that's what they had to pay when one of their cars showed up in Moscow.

MB will find out when that car goes in for service.

Be interesting to see what they would do to you.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:08 AM

I bought my vehicle as a CPO and was never asked to sign anything like that. I am assuming that this rule applies to new sales at MB dealerships. It would be impossible to enforce on used vehicles. How can you hold a non-MB dealer accountable for a vehicle that went out of the country? How about a private party?

As far as the service is concerned, it would be interesting to know if the MB dealership in the country of destination would service the vehicle. We are not talking about service or warranty in this thread however. The discussion is that a dealer denied the sale of a MB vehicle on suspicion that the new owner might take it abroad.
To me it doesn't make sense. If I buy it and pay for it I can throw it in a bonfire if I want!
It would be most interesting to know if MBUSA has ever collected a $25,000 fine from anyone that did this. I would challenge the validity of this in court. By the way, I personally have no intention to take my vehicle out of the country. I think the hassle of transporting it and registering the car in another country is not worth the few thousand dollars you may save.

Last edited by aggst1; 11-24-2009 at 10:12 AM.