R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

R320 Full Pano Roof Rattles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 R350 BlueTec
R320 Full Pano Roof Rattles

My 08 R320 is only 15 months old and the darn pano roof rattles to where it's annoying. It sounds like loose metal brackets.

It seems if I open it for a few miles, then close it - the noise is almost gone.

I have 5,000 left on my warranty. Anybody else have success in correcting this?
Old 11-30-2009, 11:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
S320 GL350
You can check it yourself if you really are handy with tools - by prying up the two long narrow black plastic side covers running the length of the vehicle on the outside edges of the pano-roof. This exposes the track and brackets. Once the roof is opened a bit (and so elevated), there are also two rear side covers about 3 inches long at the back of the roof part, and on the sides, that come off to allow access to the support glides or whatever they're called. I'd really recommend checking the service manual...but standing through the open roof and moving it back and forth (carefully) you can check its operation.

On mine, the rear metal support arm (which has a plastic cover over the contact tang that glides in the special white grease) had "disappeared" down below somewhere when the bolts came out or were forgotten - so they installed a new arm - on warranty.

When I back up out of my driveway and on an angle, I can sometimes still hear the roof flexing with the body (only slightly), but otherwise it's quiet as a mouse. I also have developed a habit of resisting the temptation of opening my pano-roof when the felts along the sides of the glides are wet from a recent car wash...it stresses the motor too much.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
pls keep us up on what happens. i've heard this is common, but haven't had much personal experience w/ our 55k 2006 R500. there's a little rattle over bumpy roads, but if it doesn't get worse we'll probably not do much.
fyi, my service advisor did encourage me not to use/open the sunroof too much though. the truth is, we rarely open the actual pano...though at times i open the shade portion.
PL
Old 12-13-2009, 04:57 AM

R500 -06 & Corvette -98 Indy PC
My R500's warranty is now over. One of the last things (in the long list!) I got fixed for warranty was the rattling panoroof. It was rattling, and there was loud "bang" sometimes on bumps, e.g. when diagonally driving over the curb or bump. They first tried to just lubricate + they had found some loose screws. It didn't fix it fully. In the end they needed to replace the whole panoroof frame. I guess it was easily over $2000 job including parts & labor.

Now it's quiet I guess, albeit I can still hear some noise coming somewhere. Most of the noise is gone however

So I propose you get it to dealership and demand to fix it. Get them check all the other things as well. My "last minute" warranty fixes included:
- steering wheel's aluminum strips were peeling off (they're real sharp when peeling!)
- panoroof
- cracked front door seals
- whistling noise when engine was cold started -> some hose in power steering was replaced + got power steering fluids changed at the same time for warrant
- poly-V-belt (or whatever it's called) replaced (it was a surprise for me that this is even covered by warranty! I would have supposed to pay it myself as this is kind of normal wear and tear)
- driver's side folding mirror's motor (and now passenger side is making noise too but it's too late )

I guess easily some $3000 worth of fixes

I'm just regretting I didn't get them check the Airmatic. I have heard shocks may leak, causing $1500 per shock for part only. Hope they will be just fine

So check all the noise, rattles, whistles etc. you can hear, and get the dealership check it. They should check them free for warranty and if you can hear unusual noises, it typically means some warranty issue
Old 12-13-2009, 08:51 AM

2011 R350 BlueTec
Wow, thank you much.

I'll do a very close inspection before hitting 50,000.

Would you spend $3750 on another 50,000 mile warranty?
Old 12-14-2009, 04:57 AM

R500 -06 & Corvette -98 Indy PC
Originally Posted by Ted Flynn
Wow, thank you much.

I'll do a very close inspection before hitting 50,000.

Would you spend $3750 on another 50,000 mile warranty?
I would have (it would have been $2500 or something for 1 year) but it turned out the first owner had had the extended warranty and canceled it when she sold it to the second one (who I bought it from) and thus I couldn't get it anymore Well, now I hope it won't get too many problems...