R-class leg room vs. GL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
R-class leg room vs. GL

FYI, I've been very puzzled whenever I see leg room specs for GLs because they appear to be greater than the R-class. However, from my recollection of being in the GL, they always seemed less.
This am, I was at MB dealer and thoroughly looked at a GL - esp the 2nd or 3rd row seats.
First - there's DEFINITELY less room in both 2nd and 3rd row in the GL. I don't understand how MB brochures have it as greater than R.
Second, the 2nd row seats are TERRIBLE on the GL. In fact, when I sat in it, the head rest in the 2nd row hits me BELOW my shoulders...I have to raise the headrest to the highest position to have it support my head. If I do that, the 2nd row seat looks dumb - 2 LONG steel poles sticking up. Further, when you move the 2nd row forward to access the back row - it BANGS up against the front seats really hard. AND, you can't slide the 2nd row up or back like you can w/ the R.
Lastly, the 3rd row of the GL is WAY SMALLER than the R-class, and it's VERY difficult to get into the 3rd row - it's much similar to other SUVs and requires CLIMBING.
That's all folks - not meant to bash the GL as it's a great car. However, from a practicality perspective, I wanted to share my observation.
Patrick
Old 12-10-2009, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
You seem to be dead on with this one. I too did the same things you did in the show room and came to some of the same conclusions. I think they measure the rear seat leg room of the R with the 2nd row seats in the forward position. They will travel back quite far resulting in a huge amount leg room otherwise. And indeed those 3rd row seats in the GL are quite cramped, the R 3rd row seats while not exactly roomy are comfortable enough for young adults or short trips.

There are some things the GL does better than the R, specifically in the 3rd row seat department. The GL's 3rd row and be lowered into the floor to make a flat floor with a touch of a button. The R class 3rd row has to be man handled from the inside and even then it doesn't make a flat loading floor. To access the 3rd row in the R class you pretty much need to remove the 2nd row head rest so that it will fold forward properly, or at least enough for an adult to squeeze through. Although this really isn't a problem for a child as they can squeeze through to the 3rd row without having to remove the 2nd row head rest. I would like to see MB address the 3rd row seating area in the next R class, a flat loading floor would be great, but I fear it will be at the expense of leg room just like the GL.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
I don't think you need to remove the head rest of 2nd row in order to access 3rd row. People has been able to access to the 3rd row by slightly squeeze through the 2 2nd row captain seats OR... The 2nd row can be slided forward and even lowered to make a pretty big opening to access the 2nd row.

Also, the R's 3rd row does fold flat with the trunk level. However, the seat bottom raised up, which in my opinion is good, since there are less chance to sratch the 2nd row seat back.

If you fold and lower the 2nd row (head rest removal is REALLy optional), you can also fold the 3rd row bottom seats flat, level with 2nd row...

You should try this at dealer or spend some time to know how to fold it properly. It only has one leveler to do all this for the 2nd row and I was very confused at first.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:12 PM

R350 | X1 | Cayenne
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
To access the 3rd row in the R class you pretty much need to remove the 2nd row head rest so that it will fold forward properly, or at least enough for an adult to squeeze through.
What!!!? No way. I use the third row almost everyday with my colleagues (car pooling). You don't need to remove the 2nd row headrest. You can just lift the lever of the 2nd row seat so the seat slides forward and the backrest fold forward, making access to the 3rd row really easy.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 S550 4MATIC, 2007 R-350
I completely agree. I got so used to the large second row space on the R that every time I ride on other SUV's I feel cramp and surprised on how small the space is.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
If you remove the 2nd row head rest, the 2nd row seat then flips forward, unattaching itself from the floor, to allow easy access to the 3rd row. I said that you "pretty much" have to do this if you want to get in without people having to squeeze through. It can be done without the removal of the head rest of course, but its not as easy.

By the way, if you get a GL with memory seats, as soon as you flip the 2nd row seat forward to enter the 3rd row, the front passenger seat will automatically move forward to allow this and then return to its original position. Not 100% sure the drivers side does this, but logic would say it does as well, I just havent seen it done lol.

I wouldn't mind seeing MB sell the R short wheel base here myself. Kinda odd that the R is built in Alabama yet customers in the States don't even get the option of the short wheel base, not even for custom orders.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
It's a bit like comparing apples and oranges.

R-class a bit more designed for soccer moms.

GL a bit more designed for off-roading and towing.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:19 PM

R350 | X1 | Cayenne
Originally Posted by lkchris
It's a bit like comparing apples and oranges.

R-class a bit more designed for soccer moms.

GL a bit more designed for off-roading and towing.
True. However, I've noticed that the GL is now the favorite soccer mom mobile in my area.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Originally Posted by BallJack
True. However, I've noticed that the GL is now the favorite soccer mom mobile in my area.
For our area too, not comparing apples and oranges - R class driven by soccer moms, and GL driven by soccer moms - so apples and apples, LOL.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
S320 GL350
Saw a blonde mom with soft black fur coat, big diamond ring, and kids in back driving an R in my area. Well heeled moms over the age of 30

(And our neighbor with a white GL - she's over 60 and very wealthy).
Old 12-14-2009, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Isn't it true that the 2nd row seats behave differently on the driver and passenger side of the R? I think on my wife's 2006, the drivers side 2nd row seatback will flip forward, then the entire seat will "jump" forward a few inches to access the 3rd row. IIRC what the salesman said, the passenger side doesn't do the "jump". The only time I've taken headrests off was to fold the 2nd row flat. And BTW, the 3rd and 2nd row DEFINITELY folds to create a flat load floor.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:40 AM

2007 R-500
Smile

Originally Posted by avlis
Isn't it true that the 2nd row seats behave differently on the driver and passenger side of the R? I think on my wife's 2006, the drivers side 2nd row seatback will flip forward, then the entire seat will "jump" forward a few inches to access the 3rd row. IIRC what the salesman said, the passenger side doesn't do the "jump". The only time I've taken headrests off was to fold the 2nd row flat. And BTW, the 3rd and 2nd row DEFINITELY folds to create a flat load floor.
I've had the same experience achieving a flat floor in my R. I once transported a full sized refrigerator with the rear door closed. I removed the icebox front door hardware to achieve a flat surface, taped the doors closed and lifted and slid the big box onto the flat load floor. I've also hauled four 18" tires, four unmounted 16" tires and four 16" mounted tires. I couldn't see out the back but everything fit.

JR
Old 12-14-2009, 11:25 PM

R350 | X1 | Cayenne
Originally Posted by avlis
Isn't it true that the 2nd row seats behave differently on the driver and passenger side of the R?
Both passenger and driver side 2nd row seats on mine (2008 R) "jump" forward to make access to the third row really easy.