R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Wife says the R is hard to park? Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R KLASSE
Wife says the R is hard to park? Anyone else?

So I got this vehicle because my wife was begging for it. Well OK I admit I secretly had a man-crush on the R myself but never came out of the closet. Anyway one thing I have not gotten used to. Even with the OEM park sensors this vehicle is insanely difficult to park. I can't see the nose from the driver seat as it slopes down a bit. And the rear is so far back sometimes I think I've pulled far enough forward but the tail is out to far. Also the front is pretty low and I'm always worried about scrapping the air damn. Anyone else?

Last edited by R KLASSE; 01-21-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:10 AM

2007 R-500
R KLASSE,

I have to agree, it is hard to park. I have neither the parking sensors nor a rear-view camera so I must rely on the old eyeball method of judging distance. At my age, my ability to look over my shoulder is also diminished so I rely greatly on my side mirrors. I learned an expensive lesson with my SL when I pulled up too closely to a parking barrier. I no longer try to allow the front tires to reach the barrier unless I'm absolutely sure of the height of the barrier.

For me, the best parking space is as far away from other cars as reasonably possible and in the longest available parallel parking space.

I love my R. I autocross it during the summer and drive sportily on the street. I use summer tires in the summer and speed-rated winter tires in the winter. My biggest gripe is that my wife likes to load it with stuff that gets thrown around inside when I take corners.

JR
Old 01-21-2010, 09:39 AM

2004 SL500, 2007 R350 Sport
Sure is. Don't know I'd cope without the sensors and camera. Just got to play safe!
Old 01-21-2010, 10:55 AM

R350 | X1 | Cayenne
It is indeed hard to park.

Funny you mentioned that. We bought the R Class because my wife likes it too. Actually I liked it too and like it more now. However, just a few days of her using it she basically switched cars with me - because she fears that she might hit something while parking - even with the camera and the parking sensors.

The R Class is decievingly huge. It definitely is a challenge to park in tight spaces.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:35 AM

R KLASSE
Also, I know the conventional doors are there to keep the elegant shape and lines of the car and to keep the general public from referring to the car as a "van" but we feel it would be about perfect if the vehicle had real sliding doors. Last night we went to a function and had to unload our 1 year old from his car seat. I had a GMC Yukon to my left and an Expedition pulled in on the car-seat side before I could turn the motor off. Almost impossible to open those huge doors.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Originally Posted by R KLASSE
Also, I know the conventional doors are there to keep the elegant shape and lines of the car and to keep the general public from referring to the car as a "van" ...
A couple of folks in this forum have mentioned that the main reason MB did not use sliding doors (van like) is because of safety. In the event of an accident a sliding door is almost guaranteed to get stuck and not open; that's not the case with regular type doors however when they can get kicked and forced open if need be.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:56 AM

R500
I must admit I am awful when it comes to parking, great driver though awful at parking! With that said, it is difficult to park, but with time I have gotten alot better. I just try to park far away. That way no one dings my car and I could use the walk.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:03 AM

Had 2004 infiniti FX45 fully loaded with 20" chrome stock rims. 2007 R350 P2 and areo. 2009 MDX
I agree. My R has a back up camera and my wife MDX doesn't and i find it difficult to park the MDX. Once you have a car with a back up camera you will never want one without especially for the R.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Tell her to take some lessons from this guy

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1928405