R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

How do others react to the R-Class?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R KLASSE
How do others react to the R-Class?

We've had our '08 about a month, and everywhere we go and people see our car they didn't know MB sold this type of vehicle. Even when taking it in to the service dept at the MB dealer people come over and look and say I've never seen that. One lady actually thought it was a lowered GL, when I told her it's an R-Class she said she didn't know MB had an "R" class, but thought it looked nice.

Personally since the cars came out in the US I've never seen a single advertisement on TV or any publication. I'm finding most people like the car but didn't know it existed. Oddly enough I live in "R-Ville" I will spot anywhere from 3-4 a day. Always silver, white, or gold though. But in most cities I never see one. As an example there are more R's around me than E-Class wagons and I see them about as frequent as a CLS. I know in some parts of the country, and world these vehicles are unicorns.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:03 PM

R KLASSE
It might just be me, but it seems like the R-Class is the oldest platform in the MB lineup, but it still looks current and fresh like it could have just come out. MB could completely re-launch this vehicle as an all new product when the face lifted model comes out for 2011 and people will think it's all-new.

I hope this vehicle and design ages well like most MB products. Some don't an example, the W210 E-Class and W163 ML vehicles look like something out of the eighties, the GL is also a vehicle that is starting to look very dated IMO, it reminds me of a Grand Cherokee or Jeep Commander at some profiles.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 S65
I got compliment in a supermarket parking lot by a mid-age gentleman.
"It's a great looking car! What make and model is it?"

R was really a class of its own when debuted. It's more passenger friendly than SUV, crossover, and minivan by the fact it does not sacrifice leg room for trunk space. And I think it is an important DNA that separate R from other segments.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:40 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
Originally Posted by nanoera
I got compliment in a supermarket parking lot by a mid-age gentleman.
"It's a great looking car! What make and model is it?"

R was really a class of its own when debuted. It's more passenger friendly than SUV, crossover, and minivan by the fact it does not sacrifice leg room for trunk space. And I think it is an important DNA that separate R from other segments.
I got a lot of compliments from people who walked by too.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Get compliments everywhere I go. The R is great, having a 500 makes a big difference in power.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:08 AM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2007 S600
[quote=nanoera;3903847]"It's a great looking car! What make and model is it?"]

And why is this? It seems like Mercedes almost trys to keep the R a secret. I don't recall ever seeing a single ad on TV for the R? S, E and C a lot, GL occasionally. But again, I don't recall ever seeing an ad for the R. What gives? It sure doesn't help when it's time to sell!
Old 01-22-2010, 02:38 PM

AMG C36, 2010 R350 BlueTEC 4-Matic
I have to confess. One month ago, *I* didn't even know it existed! I went to the dealership thinking I wanted a GLK. Walked out the door, straight into an R, wondered what the heck it was, looked inside of it, took it for a drive, and then knew instantly that it was the perfect vehicle for me. Haven't looked back since!
Old 01-22-2010, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by mercdriver
I have to confess. One month ago, *I* didn't even know it existed! I went to the dealership thinking I wanted a GLK. Walked out the door, straight into an R, wondered what the heck it was, looked inside of it, took it for a drive, and then knew instantly that it was the perfect vehicle for me. Haven't looked back since!
Other than the fact you got a Made-in-Alabama rather than a Made-in-Germany Mercedes, you did good.

IMHO you can't find an uglier Mercedes than a GLK.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:54 PM

R KLASSE
Originally Posted by lkchris
Other than the fact you got a Made-in-Alabama rather than a Made-in-Germany Mercedes, you did good.

IMHO you can't find an uglier Mercedes than a GLK.
I'm not a huge GLK fan in the looks dept, but I would take it over a W140 coupe or W208 CLK. I couldn't question the build quality on our Alabama made R-Class as IMO it's better built as far as I can tell then our German made W204 and my R129 was. In today's day in age where a car is built is almost irevelant to build quality. When I was in college I drove a 2002 Volkswagen Jetta, definitely not the most reliable car but oddly enough Volkswagen built half of those cars in Germany and the other half in Mexico. The Mexican built Jetta's had better quality control than the German.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
S320 GL350
I had one fellow parent describe my car as a big wedge shape saying he liked the look of it...before he regained control of himself and returned to a state of silent envy for the rest of the hockey season, and not commenting further at all. Just last night in the parking lot the coach was checking it out without trying to be too obvious, as I waited for my son.

My brother-in-law gushes "that's a nice car" every time I visit and drive him around in it...when we first bought it we were outside his house and he was outside in his bathrobe trying to (unsuccessfully) look inside the factory blacked out rear windows like some peasant while I snickered from inside.

My wife drove it to work once and got immediate comments from impressed co-workers, her response was that it was her husband's car and no she didn't spend a ton of money on a new car.

A co-worker exclaimed "What is this" upon seating themselves in the middle - with the other responding "It's a Mercedes." I regularly use it to shuttle our senior staff down the highway to meetings - foregoing the small company cars. Often they take turns sitting in the front seat.

A few people have walked up to the car as I watched from the coffee shop, and stopped to discuss it and point it out to each other - as do some it passes on the highway.

I too have only seen one other in town - and only a few on the highway. I think there are probably two in the nearest large city as I occasionally spot them. (White, cubanite, black, and capri blue). I have NEVER seen a green one anywhere. (Periclase).

Could be that color has a lot to do with it's relative appeal (carneol red, lazurite, and cubanite are probably my favorites with the new grey-blue out this year a hit.

It's not really about "Look at me" when I drive it - but it gets a certain amount of attention as it's a very uncommon model.

Last edited by rosswell; 01-22-2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: polish
Old 01-23-2010, 08:24 AM

R500
I have the R500, with 22" rims, and i get looks and people pointing in cars next to me prolly wandering what the heck is that?! My favorite is people behind me looking and stretching their necks to see what it is and who is driving and then I close my mirrors! HA! I love doing that at stop lights.
But I must agree with R Klasse about the GL it soo does like a jeep commander. And IMO it just does not have the WOW factor the R has, as in my area there are not that many at all specially on 22's, that makes a big difference as it sets it apart from looking like a (dare I say it) minivan! I hope MB never stops making this model, its perfect for me, I love the versatility that no other suv can offer. or minivan for that matter.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:13 PM

R350 4-matic
I've got nothing but compliments. My boss loves it...so much so that he went out and bought one for himself.

I get a few questions sometimes, but in my area there are quite a few running around. So far within 5 miles of my house I've counted 6 different R's. From a R320 to a R63. Last night at the video store I had to answer question to a young couple who are expecting twins in a few months, and after squeezing out of his M3 they were thinking about an E-class but were really interested in my R. Especially with their Mom's coming up after the birth, to which I told them they could carry both comfortably and even have each one sit in a row with the baby's each (1 mom 2nd row, 1 mom 3rd row). Mercedes needs to cut me a check...
Old 01-23-2010, 10:26 PM

R500
Originally Posted by R. Reyes
I've got nothing but compliments. My boss loves it...so much so that he went out and bought one for himself.

I get a few questions sometimes, but in my area there are quite a few running around. So far within 5 miles of my house I've counted 6 different R's. From a R320 to a R63. Last night at the video store I had to answer question to a young couple who are expecting twins in a few months, and after squeezing out of his M3 they were thinking about an E-class but were really interested in my R. Especially with their Mom's coming up after the birth, to which I told them they could carry both comfortably and even have each one sit in a row with the baby's each (1 mom 2nd row, 1 mom 3rd row). Mercedes needs to cut me a check...
I believe Mercedes should cut you a check You did the right thing, thats the ideal car for them!
Old 01-23-2010, 10:28 PM

R350 4-matic
Originally Posted by 22sR500
I believe Mercedes should cut you a check You did the right thing, thats the ideal car for them!

Settled! I'll invoice them 1st thing Monday!

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:31 PM

R500
LOL! I love this forum
Old 01-23-2010, 11:40 PM

R KLASSE
Cool stories guys/ gals with your R-Clases. These cars are truly vehicles you either love, or gain an acquired love after the fact. I have no problems admitting I loved the R since the day the first one was ever shown to the public. equally sickening my dream car is a barolo red R63, couldn't believe the day I actually saw that car in my own town drive by. I was pumping gas in my truck when I heard the unmistakable 6.2L AMG V8 growl at full bore. I turned my head expecting to see an E63 or S63...C63?? but the beautiful noise was screaming out of the quad exhausts of an R-Class and like that it vanished in the blink of an eye.

When we are out driving in our car, I can tell people are checking it out, but I can also tell the ones that are secretly admiring it but don't want to express it in front of their friend, wife, husband etc.. Sorry to just ramble on and on but our R class is definitely my most favorite vehicle I've ever owned. And I've owned R129, 88' 911 Carrera Cabriolet, various Acura's Camaro at one point etc... The R really pampers you, makes you feel secure but reminds you that you are still driving a driving machine.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:49 PM

R500
Originally Posted by R KLASSE
Cool stories guys/ gals with your R-Clases. These cars are truly vehicles you either love, or gain an acquired love after the fact. I have no problems admitting I loved the R since the day the first one was ever shown to the public. equally sickening my dream car is a barolo red R63, couldn't believe the day I actually saw that car in my own town drive by. I was pumping gas in my truck when I heard the unmistakable 6.2L AMG V8 growl at full bore. I turned my head expecting to see an E63 or S63...C63?? but the beautiful noise was screaming out of the quad exhausts of an R-Class and like that it vanished in the blink of an eye.

When we are out driving in our car, I can tell people are checking it out, but I can also tell the ones that are secretly admiring it but don't want to express it in front of their friend, wife, husband etc.. Sorry to just ramble on and on but our R class is definitely my most favorite vehicle I've ever owned. And I've owned R129, 88' 911 Carrera Cabriolet, various Acura's Camaro at one point etc... The R really pampers you, makes you feel secure but reminds you that you are still driving a driving machine.
Power to the R Class !!!
You should post your car pics!
Old 01-24-2010, 01:45 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
S320 GL350
Originally Posted by R KLASSE
Yes to the R pics. I believe this is the R63 you saw. Check this out. I didn't have the over 70 grand u.s. at the time just lying around ... but it would have been a dream to buy.
Attached Thumbnails How do others react to the R-Class?-9979556739_256575559_im1_06_565x421_a_565x379.jpg   How do others react to the R-Class?-9979556733_256575559_im1_main_565x421_a_565x379.jpg   How do others react to the R-Class?-9979556735_256575559_im1_03_565x421_a_565x379.jpg   How do others react to the R-Class?-9979556748_256575559_im1_12_565x421_a_565x379.jpg   How do others react to the R-Class?-9979556750_256575559_im1_14_565x421_a_565x379.jpg  

Last edited by rosswell; 01-24-2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: shortened quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)
I was following R as it first rolled out in US back in late 2005. The one I heard the most back in the early days for the black/black R is the look of a Hearse. People are more getting used to it now, so I don't hear much about that anymore.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:26 AM

R500
Originally Posted by supernsx
I was following R as it first rolled out in US back in late 2005. The one I heard the most back in the early days for the black/black R is the look of a Hearse. People are more getting used to it now, so I don't hear much about that anymore.
WOW! I thought the same thing about the black ones that they look like a hearse! But I saw a black one with what I thought to be on chrome 24's and man it looked awesome.

But I would never own a black car again specially not in Florida!
Old 02-08-2010, 06:19 AM

R500 -06 & Corvette -98 Indy PC
There are so many Rs in San Diego area that I don't usually get any comments but sometimes people are asking what is that car. One funny situation was when I was parking my R in the hospital's parking lot, one 80 years old grandma asked me what's that car. I told it's Mercedes. She said Yes but what model, I said R500 (I thought that grandma would just notice Chevy etc. and not MB at all ). She told me she is looking for new car and her husband cannot easily get in the normal cars, and she said this looked nice and as it's higher so easier for her husband so she said she would definitely consider R. So there might be now one 80 years old couple driving around San Diego in their R
Old 02-19-2010, 02:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
X166, 997
too many in cali

there are just too many of em around where I am. I have a R500 with the amg package and optional R63 wheels...

But yesterday, wife sees a loaded GL550, and says she likes that more...funny i see this thread...
Old 02-19-2010, 05:47 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
Originally Posted by davidbho
there are just too many of em around where I am. I have a R500 with the amg package and optional R63 wheels...

But yesterday, wife sees a loaded GL550, and says she likes that more...funny i see this thread...
I like GL550 and ML63 too.