R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Prospective buyer w/ q's - Option pkgs, center seat usage (7 pass), etc.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several
Prospective buyer w/ q's - Option pkgs, center seat usage (7 pass), etc.

Hi, all. I'm in the market for a slightly used R320 CDI. I've got a lot of questions. Primarily, I am trying to find out what all was in the Premium Packages in each of those years. I seem to find a lot of information that doesn't make sense.
2007 - Vehicle that claims to have P1 (and seemingly has all other options from it) does not have memory seats. At least now, memory seats are part of P1.
2008 - I seem to have a hard time finding one that DOES have the center seat in the middle row, yet most things I've read indicate that it is nearly impossible to NOT find one. One that just sold had the P2 package. Another I'm considering I believe has the P1, but neither has the center seat (and few I've seen do).

For anyone that does have the center seat, I'm trying to figure out how it works. Ideally, I'll have the baby seat in the middle of the center row, and let the bigger kids (5 y/o twins) fold down the seats, and sit in the boosters in the rearmost row. Anyone doing anything like this? Like I said, I've had a hard time finding a center seat to look at. Does the center seat have devoted latch anchors, or do they share like most other vehicles?

Interior color. We got dark interior in both of our daily drivers because of the kids. I think I got the only A6 Avant made with black interior. The R's seem to have a similar trend, I find more tan interior (macadamia, I think they call it?) than anything else, with grey being not uncommon. Try as I have to dictate "no food in the cars," it just doesn't happen. I'm assuming most owners have kids - any secrets or thoughts about keeping these things clean? I know, not really a MB question, but I didn't know if there were anyone who has a lot of insight due to the (seeming) lack of dark interior on a family hauler that they probably want to care for more than the average Camry owner.

Heated seats. What gives with the lack of heated seats? I am frankly surprised that this is not standard in this car, or at the very least, part of one of the packages. Regardless, I talked to a dealer in Atlanta who tells me that they can retrofit them into a car without them. Anyone here have that done, or has anyone seen it? Does it look like the factory one?

Finally, and this may be a long shot, but does anyone know why it isn't rated to tow more? I'd think that with the chassis on which it is based (GL's I believe), and the engine, it would be more than capable of towing more than 3500 lbs. Is it brakes? Transmission? Any idea? If it is something as simple as adding a trans cooler, I'd look into that. I would have several occasions to tow with it.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
S320 GL350
Just a quick reply to a few of your questions. I have the black mb-tex interior with 2 front seats leather. Easy to clean MB-tex whenever you need. I wish I had heated seats but have learned to live without and would NOT add aftermarket - given all the wiring and control unit connections. If you want to tow more than 3500, I'd buy a GL, or better yet a Suburban. The R is just not that kind of vehicle. The Trans. has a cooler already and also should not be modified as it's as high tech as they come.

Good luck in your car search - you won't be disappointed. The advantage of a 320 CDI is the absence of blue-tec fluid requiring replacement.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:00 AM

Several
Originally Posted by rosswell
If you want to tow more than 3500, I'd buy a GL, or better yet a Suburban. The R is just not that kind of vehicle. The Trans. has a cooler already and also should not be modified as it's as high tech as they come.
To be clear, it would not be a primary tow vehicle - that will be a Ram 2500 (also with a diesel), which will come right after this purchase. It would just be nice to be able to take my family with me if I were to make a trip to say Watkins Glen or something. Or I'd rather tow my track car down to Road Atlanta at the end of April for an event than drive it due to the suspension.

I'm really just interested in finding out what the weak link is. I've got a bit more background in automotive (was an engineer at Ford for several years) than most folks, so the technology isn't a big deterrent. Again, really just trying to figure out the weak link - GL indicates it isn't chassis, and I know it isn't the engine. Cooling system? Brakes? With the wheelbase and lower CG, this should be a superior tow vehicle to a GL, anyway.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:52 AM

AMG C36, 2010 R350 BlueTEC 4-Matic
It's possible that it could simply be the way the hitch mounts...
Old 02-27-2010, 12:47 PM

R350 | X1 | Cayenne
Originally Posted by 67King
For anyone that does have the center seat, I'm trying to figure out how it works. Ideally, I'll have the baby seat in the middle of the center row, and let the bigger kids (5 y/o twins) fold down the seats, and sit in the boosters in the rearmost row. Anyone doing anything like this? Like I said, I've had a hard time finding a center seat to look at. Does the center seat have devoted latch anchors, or do they share like most other vehicles?
I don't think you can do what you intend to do with the middle seat as far as baby seat goes. The middle seat is not designed for that. First of all, it is narrow. You cannot put a baby seat in the middle and still fold down the seats on either side. Secondly, there are no latch anchors - only the side seats have them.

I have tried putting 3 child booster seats in the middle row. It was a challenge putting the seatbelt for the center seat because the booster seat is wider than the seat itself. The seatbelt latch gets hidden underneath the booster seat.

Good luck.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:26 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
S320 GL350
Here's a pic. of an MB child seat in an R class.

For what it's worth - The re-designed M class in 2006 shared its platform with the new R class and the G class - and is a unibody rather than body-on-frame used by the former M and the G-Class. The R is just longer than the M (I believe it's within an inch of a standard Escalade or Yukon).
Attached Thumbnails Prospective buyer w/ q's - Option pkgs, center seat usage (7 pass), etc.-seats.jpg  
Old 03-01-2010, 01:44 PM

Several
Thanks for all of the replies. Towing may, indeed, be the hitch. I thought MB sold a Class III, but it is only a II.

Memory seat question. Where is the switch/button/whatever interface for that? I'm wondering if perhaps a vehicle (car? truck? minivan? wagon? still don't know what to call it, other than nice!) may have it, but its owner doesn't know. I know where heated seats and parktronic are, but not the memory.

Thanks, again!
Old 03-01-2010, 09:30 PM

AMG C36, 2010 R350 BlueTEC 4-Matic
For the driver's seat, memory buttons are on the left side of the seat cushion, just under your left thigh, between the seat and the door.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:42 AM

R500 -06 & Corvette -98 Indy PC
Originally Posted by 67King
Finally, and this may be a long shot, but does anyone know why it isn't rated to tow more? I'd think that with the chassis on which it is based (GL's I believe), and the engine, it would be more than capable of towing more than 3500 lbs. Is it brakes? Transmission? Any idea? If it is something as simple as adding a trans cooler, I'd look into that. I would have several occasions to tow with it.
Maybe it's just because they want to sell more GLs In Europe you can tow over 2000 kilos, ie. ~4500 lbs with your R (I had before W124 TDT with 2100 kilos towing capacity, and I towed our 1700 kg RV trailer for 2500 km one summer). So definitely it's not because of actual capabilities of the car but something else

For memory seat controls, look at this pic