R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Door dings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 05:15 PM

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 E63s
Door dings

I've had the R less than 3 weeks and my wife managed to get 3 dings in the passenger front door . I am pissed after I stressed that she should not park near another car. Do I have to take this to a body shop to fix? The dings did nick the paint.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 R500 Red w/Tan interior
I feel your pain...my wife took ours to a funeral and while at the visitation someone nailed it with a door...hard...put a 4 inch crease/dent in it. Of course they drove off without leaving a note!! I had the door repainted...cost me a little over $800.00!!! If your dents are not that bad, a local dent doctor type company can fix it without repainting by pushing the metal back out from the back of the door skin. This will most likely require a small hole to be drilled in the door edge for the tools to get into the door, after they are done they will fill the hole wit a rubber cap. The paint chip can be touched up by a good body shop.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:16 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
S320 GL350
They also apply heat these days from the inside and the dent comes right out - no painting necessary. I've been religious with mine (the R is actually quite wide so doesn't fit very well in a standard parking space and can attract door dents easily) and park it far away in a corner of a lot where others won't park near it. The two slight dents it has are both from work - and now I park it parallel in the 3 spots that work has allotted in that configuration. Big car - needs to be parked on the street.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 R-500
Unhappy

Originally Posted by rosswell
They also apply heat these days from the inside and the dent comes right out - no painting necessary. I've been religious with mine (the R is actually quite wide so doesn't fit very well in a standard parking space and can attract door dents easily) and park it far away in a corner of a lot where others won't park near it. The two slight dents it has are both from work - and now I park it parallel in the 3 spots that work has allotted in that configuration. Big car - needs to be parked on the street.
What is it about our wives and door dings? My wife sometimes parks in the Metro garage at the Franconia-Springfield station. In my experience, there are always many open spaces on the top level, some at the end where one can park on the outside edge of the space, leaving plenty of room for another vehicle to park without getting too close. My wife takes pride in being able to squeeze into the narrow lower level spaces (she lived in Europe for some time where people appear to take pains to avoid dinging adjacent vehicle's doors). So far (knock on wood), we haven't collected any dings.

I go out of my way to park away from other cars and away from where anyone else might want to park.

In 1970 I had a 1961 Beetle. A previous owner had run it through a barbed wire fence into an orange grove. It looked like it may have been rolled. My plan was to remove the body, chop the floor pan, and install a dune buggy body. Once, while parked outside a Montgomery Ward store while buying tools, someone apparently flung open a door (or they may have lost their grip on it, who knows?), and left an obvious dent in the driver's side door of my beetle. Their door was dingless (up to that point). I became angry at what I perceived to be laziness and/or lack of respect for other's property . I used my door as a battering ram and left a noticeable mark on the car. Now that I'm older, and hopefully more spritually mature, I regret what I did.

JR
Old 03-08-2010, 12:47 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
Originally Posted by rosswell

I have seen and heard that they use dry ice to rubbing on the ding to pop it out by itself.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R KLASSE
I feel the OP's pain. Two years ago I got my wife a W204 C300 sport, loaded with 18" AMG wheels etc... in less than a month after me educating her on where to park, how to park it and to be careful of the low front end she managed to A) Scrape the lower lip on a parking block B) Get two dents in the door and quarter panel both from her work (Stupid co-workers jealous cause she drives a Benz) And B) then while she was visiting a friend in the City, she had to park on the street and curbed one of her 18" AMG wheels.

Anyway, after all of that headache I vowed to get her an ML350, so the front bumper would be out of harms way and there would be more sidewall on the tire to protect from curb rash. She really wanted and begged for the R-Class, long and short, we've had our R-Class three months and she already scuffed the front lip on it