R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

2009, what a difference!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG C36, 2010 R350 BlueTEC 4-Matic
The MSRP of these cars has dropped significantly since 06.
IMHO, it is that huge price drop that has caused the used ones to depreciate so rapidly.

One of the Certified 07's I test drove originally had a (cdn) sticker price of over $90K! The FULLY loaded 2010 I bought cost me well over $30K less than that. And that is with some features that weren't even available on the earlier models.

In fact, used certified 2007's with fairly low km's were selling at the dealership for only $6K less than I paid for my 2010 R. As a result, personally, I am of the opinion that the value pricing of the later models will prevent them from depreciating as rapidly as the older ones.

A 2009 demo that dealership had been using as its courtesy shuttle that had only 5,000 km on it would have actually cost me MORE than a brand new 2010 as a result of the difference in MB financing rates. (Demos do not qualify for "used vehicle" financing rates. And as a 2009, it didn't qualify for the great rate special that they had on the 2010's either.)

So the original poster is totally correct when he states that, depending on the market you are shopping in, it can be a no brainer to opt for a newer one. And yes the updated command, and especially the NAV, are very nice bonuses indeed.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
X166, 997
haha...stopped reading after first few posts

can we all get along?

I have an 06 r500, and have been happy with it since i bought it.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)
Originally Posted by Zachmac
R KLASSE

The bottom line was the bottom line. I found an 09 priced the same (or less) than most the dealers wanted for the 08s and the command com being updated was a bonus.

If you haven't seen / tried the 09 command com then sure, your 08 (just like the 06 I traded) seems nice. But, having things like a fully integrated 10 phone interface that works with any phone with no pucks or other add ons, state of the art color navigation maps and real time updates, and voice command put the new system in with the current generation of systems in the market. As the dealer who sold me the car commented, "with the 09 changes we aren't trying to apologize and make excuses for it to folks who come shopping after looking at the competition."

Again, I DIDN"T buy the car FOR the command com, I was just very pleased that Mercedes greatly improved it in the 09 model year and that I could buy an 09 for the same money as an 08. THAT COMBINATION made the 09 a no-brainer versus an 08.
No, 06-08 R's navigation totally sucks! Even the Jeep and GM have much better navigation. It is just sad. 09 R's is so much better but still not as sweet as the C class's thou.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:28 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by mercdriver
The MSRP of these cars has dropped significantly since 06.
IMHO, it is that huge price drop that has caused the used ones to depreciate so rapidly.

One of the Certified 07's I test drove originally had a (cdn) sticker price of over $90K! The FULLY loaded 2010 I bought cost me well over $30K less than that. And that is with some features that weren't even available on the earlier models.

In fact, used certified 2007's with fairly low km's were selling at the dealership for only $6K less than I paid for my 2010 R. As a result, personally, I am of the opinion that the value pricing of the later models will prevent them from depreciating as rapidly as the older ones.

A 2009 demo that dealership had been using as its courtesy shuttle that had only 5,000 km on it would have actually cost me MORE than a brand new 2010 as a result of the difference in MB financing rates. (Demos do not qualify for "used vehicle" financing rates. And as a 2009, it didn't qualify for the great rate special that they had on the 2010's either.)

So the original poster is totally correct when he states that, depending on the market you are shopping in, it can be a no brainer to opt for a newer one. And yes the updated command, and especially the NAV, are very nice bonuses indeed.
I am very happy with our '90 R320 Bluetec and the big difference in Canada that I noticed was the 19" wheel package part of the AMg styling kit. The COMAND works great and, honestly, quite a unqie vehicle that I have seen more and more of in my city...looks like people are starting to get that you don't need an SUV to haul people. I hope that they send that new diesel engine with 267bhp in '11, I will definitely get another one!
Old 06-17-2010, 09:53 PM

R KLASSE
Originally Posted by coladin
I am very happy with our '90 R320 Bluetec and the big difference in Canada that I noticed was the 19" wheel package part of the AMg styling kit. The COMAND works great and, honestly, quite a unqie vehicle that I have seen more and more of in my city...looks like people are starting to get that you don't need an SUV to haul people. I hope that they send that new diesel engine with 267bhp in '11, I will definitely get another one!
Are you seeing other diesel R's? Just curious because I've never seen a Bluetec R in person ever. And in my demographics I see 3-5 R's a day, so they aren't exactly as rare as you would think.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:30 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by R KLASSE
Are you seeing other diesel R's? Just curious because I've never seen a Bluetec R in person ever. And in my demographics I see 3-5 R's a day, so they aren't exactly as rare as you would think.
Pretty much that is all I see. Diesel is really starting to take off in my neck of the woods. Funny thing is VW had it for years, no one cared. Now MB, BMW, Audi have them and now they are "fashionable" so to speak. They are better to lease which most people do here and with it being cheaper than regular gas plus getting awesome mileage it is a no brainer. I get a solid 380miles 100% city driving per tank, usually filling with 19 gallons, which is 20mpg! on a 5000lb vehicle...tough to beat.

I am happy to see more because this vehicle, as far as packaging goes, was ahead of its time. People weren't ready for an R-class in '06, I think smart people who saw the benefits of this vehicle did. Nowadays with the styling of cars, the R-Class works. I get tons of compliments as if they have never seen one before.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:10 AM

R KLASSE
Originally Posted by coladin
Pretty much that is all I see. Diesel is really starting to take off in my neck of the woods. Funny thing is VW had it for years, no one cared. Now MB, BMW, Audi have them and now they are "fashionable" so to speak. They are better to lease which most people do here and with it being cheaper than regular gas plus getting awesome mileage it is a no brainer. I get a solid 380miles 100% city driving per tank, usually filling with 19 gallons, which is 20mpg! on a 5000lb vehicle...tough to beat.

I am happy to see more because this vehicle, as far as packaging goes, was ahead of its time. People weren't ready for an R-class in '06, I think smart people who saw the benefits of this vehicle did. Nowadays with the styling of cars, the R-Class works. I get tons of compliments as if they have never seen one before.
Yeah it's funny that now Lincoln has this MKT out and that for all intense purposes is basically an R-Class. Same for the Ford Flex and vehicles like the GMC Arcadia & Envoy.