R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Short wheel base R class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E63, 2010 SRX Turbo, 2010 Escalade EXT
Short wheel base R class

Any of our European friends have pictures of the short wheel-base R class that's only available "over there" ?
Old 06-18-2010, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Look closely, its not that easy to tell the two apart. I myself have never used the extra seats in the rear, so I would welcome a short wheel base. Problem is it over laps too many other Benz models already in the lineup as a four/five seater. Not to mention with company's trying more and more to save every penny, it wouldn't surprise me to see the short wheel base dropped all together. Give up yet? The short wheel base is on the left and the long wheel base (U.S. Spec) is on the right. You have to look at the rear doors as the give away, as the rest of the car matches up pretty well.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:53 AM

2008 E63, 2010 SRX Turbo, 2010 Escalade EXT
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
Look closely, its not that easy to tell the two apart. I myself have never used the extra seats in the rear, so I would welcome a short wheel base. Problem is it over laps too many other Benz models already in the lineup as a four/five seater. Not to mention with company's trying more and more to save every penny, it wouldn't surprise me to see the short wheel base dropped all together. Give up yet? The short wheel base is on the left and the long wheel base (U.S. Spec) is on the right. You have to look at the rear doors as the give away, as the rest of the car matches up pretty well.

Not much difference visually but the short wheel base would better serve my needs. We'll probably never see it for all the reasons you mentioned. I do try to avoid parking next to any R's as those big rear doors cover a huge area when flung open by some unthinking kid. OUCH!!!
Old 06-19-2010, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Just go to

http://www.mercedes.co.uk

or

http://www.mercedes.de

and see for yourself.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by smiley47
Not much difference visually but the short wheel base would better serve my needs. We'll probably never see it for all the reasons you mentioned. I do try to avoid parking next to any R's as those big rear doors cover a huge area when flung open by some unthinking kid. OUCH!!!
The short wheel base would have suited me better as well. I have never used the two third row "jump seats" in the back and to that point, they just seem to get in the way. When you attempt to lower them and use the space as a normal suv, the bottom seat cushions still protrude, they don't really get in the way, but they look bad. If the short wheel base version still had the same rear seat leg room as the long wheel base version, just without the third row seats, it would probably sell just fine in the States. Other wise its just an ML with a different front end.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:13 AM

R KLASSE
The short wheel base would have suited me better as well. I have never used the two third row "jump seats" in the back and to that point, they just seem to get in the way. When you attempt to lower them and use the space as a normal suv, the bottom seat cushions still protrude, they don't really get in the way, but they look bad. If the short wheel base version still had the same rear seat leg room as the long wheel base version, just without the third row seats, it would probably sell just fine in the States. Other wise its just an ML with a different front end.
I think you guys are missing the point of the LWB. The extra room isn't in the cargo area, look closely the cargo areas are the same size and dimensions. Just like all the other LWB estate class cars S-Class, BMW 7-Series etc.. The extra length is in the second row. Not sure if you guys have kids or not but the extra length in the R-Class allows you to install a rear facing car seat and still allow a 6+ foot passenger in the front to slide their seat all the way back and still recline. We could not do this with any other vehicle we looked at before we got our R350. Also when adults sit in the second row it pure luxury and the space is cavernous.

Honestly if MB only sold the short version in the US we would have bought an ML or a Ford Flex. Thankfully they sent us the right version instead
Old 06-22-2010, 01:51 AM

2005 C230 Kompressor
I was under the empression that the swb was going to be available for US market for 2010 model year and remember a few going down the line early on. They may have been for testing and if it was truthful info then and not now it must have been chopped from the final sales plan. I was told back in 05 that the swb was not gojng to be sold in the US because Daimler didnt want it to compete sales wise with the Chrysler sine they oned it at the time. I will look into it today.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:31 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
S320 GL350
In Spain they offer a model with just 2 rows, behind which is a flat floor that lifts up, revealing space to store a suitcase, and the usual spare tire compartment to the rear of that.

I have the brochure
Old 06-25-2010, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by R KLASSE
I think you guys are missing the point of the LWB. The extra room isn't in the cargo area, look closely the cargo areas are the same size and dimensions. Just like all the other LWB estate class cars S-Class, BMW 7-Series etc.. The extra length is in the second row. Not sure if you guys have kids or not but the extra length in the R-Class allows you to install a rear facing car seat and still allow a 6+ foot passenger in the front to slide their seat all the way back and still recline. We could not do this with any other vehicle we looked at before we got our R350. Also when adults sit in the second row it pure luxury and the space is cavernous.

Honestly if MB only sold the short version in the US we would have bought an ML or a Ford Flex. Thankfully they sent us the right version instead
I wasn't missing the point.."If the short wheel base version still had the same rear seat leg room as the long wheel base version, just without the third row seats, it would probably sell just fine in the States. Other wise its just an ML with a different front end." I was stating that the SWB didn't have the same second row leg room as the LWB, so it would basically just be an ML, which if I'm not mistaken is the same frame it rides on.

At any rate, I would still love an R LWB with seats that actually fold into the floor FLAT...or give me the option to leave them out all together.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:47 AM

R KLASSE
I wasn't missing the point.."If the short wheel base version still had the same rear seat leg room as the long wheel base version, just without the third row seats, it would probably sell just fine in the States. Other wise its just an ML with a different front end." I was stating that the SWB didn't have the same second row leg room as the LWB, so it would basically just be an ML, which if I'm not mistaken is the same frame it rides on.

At any rate, I would still love an R LWB with seats that actually fold into the floor FLAT...or give me the option to leave them out all together.
What is everyone talking about when they say their rear seats don't fold flat? When my third row seats are folded, the floor is completely flat. In fact to the average person not knowing you wouldn't know there was a third row.

I agree about the second row though, they should have made the option to completely remove the seats. That would have made the car much more useful with loading boxes and large items from the side since the side doors are enormous.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by R KLASSE
What is everyone talking about when they say their rear seats don't fold flat? When my third row seats are folded, the floor is completely flat. In fact to the average person not knowing you wouldn't know there was a third row.

I agree about the second row though, they should have made the option to completely remove the seats. That would have made the car much more useful with loading boxes and large items from the side since the side doors are enormous.
I was talking about removing the third row, but now that you mention it, removing the second row would come in handy as well lol. As for the third row folding flat, it does, but the rear seat cushions then press up against the backs of the second row seats..not making a flat floor technically, which is what I was referring to.