R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Hard starting issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2010 | 02:21 PM

2013 E350 wagon cuprite brown; sold:2014 ML63; R500 Saks Edition; R500; more W124s than I can count
Hard starting issue

In the last three days I have been having a hard start issue on my '06 R500 w/ 53k miles. First thing in the morning it will not start on the first crank. The starter goes but the engine doesn't start. The second attempt always starts the car. I tried both keys [keyless go] and it does not make a difference. It only happens after the car has sat for a long period of time and it so far has always caught on the second attempt. I searched the archives and haven't found any similar posts. The car has been totally reliable otherwise and maintenance is all current...
Old 10-01-2010 | 08:49 PM

2007 R320 CDI, 2010 FJ Cruiser, CTS-V
Originally Posted by termite
In the last three days I have been having a hard start issue on my '06 R500 w/ 53k miles. First thing in the morning it will not start on the first crank. The starter goes but the engine doesn't start. The second attempt always starts the car. I tried both keys [keyless go] and it does not make a difference. It only happens after the car has sat for a long period of time and it so far has always caught on the second attempt. I searched the archives and haven't found any similar posts. The car has been totally reliable otherwise and maintenance is all current...
I had a similar problem with a VW Passat. It turned out that fuel line check-valve was broken and was letting fuel pressure to drop and it required a second attempt to get it working.

I would take it to a mechanic, leave it overnight and have them figure this out.