R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Shopping for 08 R350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230 SS kompressor
Shopping for 08 R350

Hi All, we are in the market for CPO R350.
Found couple cars around us but I think they are asking bit much.
08 R350 4matic with 30k miles with navi and backup cam. asking 35k,
with growing family we need to get a little roomier car than our lexus rx400h. and how is the r350? any known issues? pros. and cons.? much appreciated.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:22 PM

c230 SS kompressor
and any idea how much they charge for extended warranty for 3yrs? thanks
Old 09-21-2011, 09:03 AM

Nissan
hi cdaeng2, i too am in the same boat as you. The CPO prices are coming down and is making me want to buy.

my main concern is the reliability and maintenance costs. i like to know what i am getting.
As a family and main vehicle i dont want to be stranded on a road trip or even in the morning when i have to take the kids to school

where abouts are you, i am in NYC. i hope some veteran owners will continue to chime in and please let me know your outcome.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:25 PM

c230 SS kompressor
hey benzvirgin,
i am in tristate area in south jersey, have you looked at any yet? prices mileage options?? happy shopping
Old 09-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi guys.

I am a forum sponsor and custom-order car dealer. I am in the tri-state area, but buy and ship all over the USA. I can provide hundreds of MB customer references, including a bunch right here on MB world (S600, SL65, CL600, GL450, S55, etc).

BAsically the way my process works is that you tell me what you want and I locate, inspect (including a full inspection by an authorized MB dealer), prep, and deliver it to you for 5% over my cost. I can also provide excellent extended warranties.

If you'd like more info, or to get an idea of what a car would cost using this method with zero hassle or risk for you as the buyer,. just send me an email to brucem105@comcast.net.

Bruce
Old 09-22-2011, 10:59 AM

Nissan
thanks for reaching out Bruce.. your service does sound convenient.
My issue isnt find one per say, its the fear taking the plunge and end up with many issues. How does your services work with trade ins? and the vehicles you locate CPO? Or warranty of anykind.. it puts me on the edge when most MB owners say they would not keep their cars when warranty is out.

Cdaeng2, i browsed a few but having test driven yet. I see some nice deals at cherry hill MB with some R350's. if you are near there go check them out.
hopefully my schedule will free up for me in 2 weeks so i can go test drive one.
Getting babysitting is rough lately.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A lot of 2008 and 2009 R-class still have some factory warranty remaining. So you get that, and then I can provide an excellent extended warranty to take coverage out a lot further.

I can't sell CPO as an independent dealer (although one recent sale of a CPO car to a client, the CPO stayed with the car for some unknown reason!).

CPO is nice, but it's only two years from time you buy it, so that's limited, and it's not exclusionary coverage, so that's limited too. MB dealers pay MB about $1600 for the CPO warranty, and build in around $2500 to the price. For not much more, you can get a 4 or even 5 year better extended warranty.

If you read through the email I sent you, you'll see that there is no way you can end up with a car that has issues. My multiple inspection process, including one from an authorized MB dealer, will screen those cars out.

Bruce
Old 09-23-2011, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Originally Posted by Benzvirgin
As a family and main vehicle i dont want to be stranded on a road trip or even in the morning when i have to take the kids to school

where abouts are you, i am in NYC. i hope some veteran owners will continue to chime in and please let me know your outcome.
I think chances are slim that a 2008 car will leave you stranded or not start in the morning. The issues you WILL have will be electrical or moving part issues mostly related to options. For example, my wife's '06 power liftgate barely functions now. We open it by hand as the motors whirl and whine. The pano-roof creaks. Still runs and drives like new though.

After owning two heavily optioned MBs in the last 10 years, I would try to find a unit that has few power-this, power-that options. That stuff breaks first.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:53 AM

Nissan
Avlis, your posts makes alot of sense and it is reassuring.
I hear what you are saying about the options and tendancy to break.
I am ok with manually opening my tailgate as i have been doing so for ages. if its just stuff like that that are more nuisance then i am content

I am just nervous about the whole computer management of the vital stuff.
Brake lights, engine, all that stuff is computer managed right?
Old 10-05-2011, 12:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 ML350, 2006 SLK280
The only bad problem I have had with my 2006 R350 is one of the airmatic struts got a leak. This was expensive to fix (and shop had trouble finding the leak). I would second the notion that lots of electronic options can lead to more troubles, but I have not had any myself (I'm at 80,000 miles). My power lift gate has not had trouble and I use it constantly (3 kids' sports gear loaded in and out daily year round).

I did have a sense go bad that left the ESP disabled until I got to the shop, but this really did not change how the car drove. I second the idea that this car will rarely leave you stranded anywhere.

The maintenance of Mercedes is expensive, but you can do oil changes yourself and save a ton. Air filters and cabin filters are also easy and will save you hundreds... see all the DIY posts on these great forums. You can save even more on brake jobs by declining new rotors unless they get overly worn. If you replace pads and not rotors you may get minor squeaks but these tend to go away. You will typically need rotors only after going through two sets of pads. Ask the rotor thickness and check if they are grooved, as these are the only good reasons to replace rotors. I have a gear-head buddy who helps me do the brakes (I buy the parts online plus a case of beer for him) so I know they are done right.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)
Originally Posted by Benzvirgin
Avlis, your posts makes alot of sense and it is reassuring.
I hear what you are saying about the options and tendancy to break.
I am ok with manually opening my tailgate as i have been doing so for ages. if its just stuff like that that are more nuisance then i am content

I am just nervous about the whole computer management of the vital stuff.
Brake lights, engine, all that stuff is computer managed right?
I have an 06 R500 and the airmatic and folding mirrors are the options creating the most problem for me. So far, the computer, electronic, engine and transmission are all fine and have not given me any problem.

Btw, make sure get the extended warranty if you plan to keep the car after the factory warranty ends. WELL WORTH IT. My warranty has been paid for almost three times over.