R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Close to purchase, need some general input

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
Close to purchase, need some general input

Jumping over from the GLK and C forums... 2nd baby on the way and need something that will take the family + in-laws/friends/other relatives etc.

The dealerships in the area did not have what I want (P1, pano roof, parking/blind spot assist, 7 seats option), so I am having to order. However, would like some feedback on

1) Diesel worth it anymore? The 2012 gasoline engine is now making 300hp and MPG is just about 2 worse than the diesel...

2) No full airmatic? Dealers are telling me there is not even a way to special order a full airmatic (rear is standard) setup w/height adjustment for 2012... but want to know if any of you know otherwise

3) Price? So far it is about 5% off MRSP. Is that a good deal these days, or are people still seeing $10K off like what has been reported in the past in this forum?

4) Insurance/maintenance/other upkeep? I understand that many other variables drive insurance prices, and reliability seems decent for the 2012's, but just want to know if anyone had any insurance or upkeep related horror stories...

5) Any option anyone felt is exceptionally useful? 3 zone climate, rear seat entertainment, xenon light are all nice but expensive... however, don't want to regret since it is a special order, so let me know if there is any option that you view as must have or regret not getting

Any other thoughts would be appreciate it too. Been reading this forum and folks seem happy (other than some of the 2006-2008 folks who have reliability issues...), but want to double-check

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2012, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
#3. Keyless Go. IMO the most useful feature. You get to use it all the time! Unlike other options like rear entertainment etc... Just picture your wife approaching the car with two kids (the infant in her hands). Not having to look for the keys is priceless...
Old 02-12-2012, 02:43 PM

R350
Originally Posted by aggst1
#3. Keyless Go. IMO the most useful feature. You get to use it all the time! Unlike other options like rear entertainment etc... Just picture your wife approaching the car with two kids (the infant in her hands). Not having to look for the keys is priceless...
Had a heated discussion on that one with the wife. I totally agree that it would be a really useful feature. The demo car we drove had it, and I thought it was wonderful (the push-start button is cool... legacy of my younger, ricer, days

Alas the wife did not want to spend the extra money... and also argued (somewhat valid) that it is a security risk since anyone can run up to the car and open it.

Thanks for the thought though!
Old 02-12-2012, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Originally Posted by DukeBoy27
Had a heated discussion on that one with the wife. I totally agree that it would be a really useful feature. The demo car we drove had it, and I thought it was wonderful (the push-start button is cool... legacy of my younger, ricer, days

Alas the wife did not want to spend the extra money... and also argued (somewhat valid) that it is a security risk since anyone can run up to the car and open it.

Thanks for the thought though!
No risk whatsoever. Anyone that goes near the car has to have the keys with them in order for the car to unlock. To start the motor you have to have the break pressed. Can't accidentally start it.

If the wife said so... then you know what to do! We ve all been there.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:23 PM

2002 E320 4matic Wagon
Jumping over from the GLK and C forums... 2nd baby on the way and need something that will take the family + in-laws/friends/other relatives etc.

The dealerships in the area did not have what I want (P1, pano roof, parking/blind spot assist, 7 seats option), so I am having to order. However, would like some feedback on

1) Diesel worth it anymore? The 2012 gasoline engine is now making 300hp and MPG is just about 2 worse than the diesel...

2) No full airmatic? Dealers are telling me there is not even a way to special order a full airmatic (rear is standard) setup w/height adjustment for 2012... but want to know if any of you know otherwise

3) Price? So far it is about 5% off MRSP. Is that a good deal these days, or are people still seeing $10K off like what has been reported in the past in this forum?

4) Insurance/maintenance/other upkeep? I understand that many other variables drive insurance prices, and reliability seems decent for the 2012's, but just want to know if anyone had any insurance or upkeep related horror stories...

5) Any option anyone felt is exceptionally useful? 3 zone climate, rear seat entertainment, xenon light are all nice but expensive... however, don't want to regret since it is a special order, so let me know if there is any option that you view as must have or regret not getting

Any other thoughts would be appreciate it too. Been reading this forum and folks seem happy (other than some of the 2006-2008 folks who have reliability issues...), but want to double-check

Thanks!
1. It's the torque that counts the most in a vehicle this big and heavy and there's no beating the turbo-diesel for that.

2. Personally I think you should run away from the R-class altogether (see my previous posts in this forum), BUT if you must, definitely stay away from Airmatic. The ride's no better, and we used the extra ride height 3 times at a total of about $800/use on repair cost (Airmatic fails soon after the standard warranty is up and very expensively).

3. Don't know about pricing these days but you'll have less bargaining power if you special order.

4. Maintenance and upkeep could be absolutely horrendous, make sure you buy the extended warranty. You could be VERY sorry if you don't.

5. We found the swiveling Xeon lights useful on rural VT backroads and in the dark Fairfield County suburbs w/o streetlamps, but not so useful in well lit areas. If you're carrying a family, 3-zone climate control is useful, particularly when the little ones need extra warmth to go to sleep. Rear seat entertainment is up to how you raise your children, some parents like the "babysitter" aspect, we prefer that our children read, talk to each other, or participate in family discussions & game-playing so we never opt for that feature. The pano-roof is cool, keeps the rear area light filled, and unlike on other vehicles it doesn't leak. But the shade mechanism is poorly designed, flimsy, and will fail.

Good luck!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:14 PM

R350 4-matic

Thanks!
Absolutely love mine. Has been great for the family and kids. That being said, I've been extremely disappointed in MB, and only can wonder what other problems they've ignored and won't own up to. So much so, that I'm looking to replace mine before end of year.

But as to your questions:

1. Nah, diesel has much more grunt, but cost of diesel cancels that out.

2. STAY AWAY FROM AIRMATIC. Cost of replacement/problems w/ it are outrageous.

3. Price, usually a deal can be had, but w/ special order that's out the window.

4. Insurance wise, has been awesome. For sure w/out question GET THE EXTENDED WARRANTY. If not for ext.-warranty repair costs would already be in the $5k plus range for me (2006 MY). I see more R's in the shop than ever, and they're not all pre-'08.

5. With family and since it's special order get the 2nd row window shades, you'll understand the first time your on a road trip w/ the little one in 2nd row and it's mid to late in the day. The windows on the R are HUGE and aftermarket shades will not cover the entire window. Rear entertainment if you want it is best OEM vs. aftermarket. If you're not getting pano windows then I would aftermarket it, but it will still cost simply due the fact that R's are not that prevelant, hence economies of scale don't apply like the C or GL. BACK UP camera...a must, can be done w/out, but really the R has a J-Lo ***. 3-zone also is a must have. Not really a must...but heated seats.

Hope you enjoy your new ride, I know the in-laws will be impressed and on long drives, you will tremendously enjoy the ride and performance.

Good luck.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:32 AM

R350
1) Okay, going with the gasoline to save a few bucks up front... and keep fingers crossed that premium gas does not suddenly spike way above diesel

2) Guess that is a universal no from everyone

3) Sounds like I should be pretty happy with something near invoice, will work that into my decision calculus

4) Will try to work a good deal on extended warranty, or plan on getting something else in 4 years...

5) For options... will re-consider xenons and 3 zone climate, but my guess is the wife will veto (she hates with a passion anyone shining xenon lights on her from the opposite side of the road; and is perfectly fine making me uncomfortable with the temperature since she will be sitting with the kids in the back). I can't find anywhere sunshades as an option for the 2012, but will ask the dealership. Back-up camera I agree is a must, and part of the reason why we are getting P1, which includes that for the 2012 model. Since it would require aftermarket and the kids have access to iphones/ipads etc., and I do see the point about talking rather than switching to TV zombie mode... so going to skip on the entertainment system

This has been pretty helpful folks! Thanks!
Old 02-14-2012, 02:07 PM

2002 E320 4matic Wagon
Good luck.

Though I would urge you to give the Toyota Sienna and/or Volvo XC90 another look before you unleash this thing on your wallet. It is more luxurious than the Sienna, bigger than the Volvo, and drives better than both, BUT it can be hugely frustrating and expensive to keep operational and well maintained. And you could buy one of each nearly new for a few thousand more than what you're likely about to pay for the pig.

We certainly enjoyed ours when it was working, but in the end we determined that it wasn't worth it, in part because the failures became so persistent that my wife was afraid to continue using the car to drive the children around, which was the primary reason we bought it.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:52 PM

R350 4-matic
Good luck. I'm narrowing down my choices to the Q7, Tahoe, or new Explorer. I would love to trade in on a 2013 (when they're available) R, but just don't trust MB anymore.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:31 PM

R-500 2006
Hi, I'd like to add my 2 cents . I was looking for a vehicle big enough to carry 6 adults and to remain a car in a sence of exterior and driving behaviour, buy not a bus or a SUV, and I failed to find anything but R-class. I do admit issues with operability and quality, but what is the _real_ alternative to it? I failed to find it, Sienna, Q7, Tahoe, Explorer, X90 - they all fail when you hit the highway R-class is my choice with all its drawbacks...
Old 02-14-2012, 05:24 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
There are bad ones from every company. I had a 2009 and now have a 2012 and they are excellent. No issues whatsoever. Take everything with a grain of salt whether good or bad. It is new so warranty is there and if you lease you will be covered with any issue like Airmatic. MBs are expensive to maintain so be ready for that. The amounts are easliy available at the dealer.

Also a lot of the negative reviews are from older versions, 2006 up to 2008. Well deserved, but new ones are much improved.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2011 R350 BT
Others may disagree, but I regret not getting leather. The fake leather looks good and feels like leather, but it doesn't breathe, so is very hot in summer and makes my back sweat. My wife makes the same comment. Seats are great but would be better in leather.

Not sure where you live, but if it gets cold rear seat warmers are great. My kids love them.

I'm another one who would suggest pushing for the keyless go. Sounds trivial to have your key in your pocket, but it's a great feature to be able to unlock the car and go without any fumbling around for keys. Whenever I drive a car without it I am reminded what a great option it is.

I have the diesel and tow a boat - it's a great tow vehicle with the diesel. If you plan on pulling anything I would recommend the diesel.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:58 PM

R350
Originally Posted by OldMBGuy
Good luck.

Though I would urge you to give the Toyota Sienna and/or Volvo XC90 another look before you unleash this thing on your wallet. It is more luxurious than the Sienna, bigger than the Volvo, and drives better than both, BUT it can be hugely frustrating and expensive to keep operational and well maintained. And you could buy one of each nearly new for a few thousand more than what you're likely about to pay for the pig.

We certainly enjoyed ours when it was working, but in the end we determined that it wasn't worth it, in part because the failures became so persistent that my wife was afraid to continue using the car to drive the children around, which was the primary reason we bought it.
We did check out the Sienna and Odyssey, which are great and functional to the Nth degree, but I just can't put myself in one... it is maturity thing, one of these days I will actually grow up and do something more rational. Never looked at the Volvo, but sat in a co-worker's... came away feeling positive, but not motivated to buy one.

I definitely do understand where you are coming from, and I don't see keeping a R beyond warranty, or not getting a good extended warranty, as viable. And I am only okay with putting up problems under warranty because I love my dealership's service manager and don't mind getting C's or GLK's to get some variety once in a while.

In any case, definitely paying a huge premium for a R in my book... no doubt about it and arguably an optional expense.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:04 AM

R350
Originally Posted by R. Reyes
Good luck. I'm narrowing down my choices to the Q7, Tahoe, or new Explorer. I would love to trade in on a 2013 (when they're available) R, but just don't trust MB anymore.
Sorry to hear buddy, but your options are all great and I am sure you will enjoy them. I had an Audi a long time ago and found the interior to be eons beyond its contemporary. And I had an Explorer rental recently and found it a really competent car, loved the tricked-out LCD dash and touch-sensitive buttons.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:06 AM

R350
Originally Posted by vorozhbyt
Hi, I'd like to add my 2 cents . I was looking for a vehicle big enough to carry 6 adults and to remain a car in a sence of exterior and driving behaviour, buy not a bus or a SUV, and I failed to find anything but R-class. I do admit issues with operability and quality, but what is the _real_ alternative to it? I failed to find it, Sienna, Q7, Tahoe, Explorer, X90 - they all fail when you hit the highway R-class is my choice with all its drawbacks...
Same thing happened to me... wish Americans would get past this stigma about useful cars so the Germans can make some more.

If BMW or Audi were to make cool-looking minivans, even with sliding doors, I would not hesitate to put it on my list.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:11 AM

R350
Originally Posted by coladin
There are bad ones from every company. I had a 2009 and now have a 2012 and they are excellent. No issues whatsoever. Take everything with a grain of salt whether good or bad. It is new so warranty is there and if you lease you will be covered with any issue like Airmatic. MBs are expensive to maintain so be ready for that. The amounts are easliy available at the dealer.

Also a lot of the negative reviews are from older versions, 2006 up to 2008. Well deserved, but new ones are much improved.
Knock on wood, but the wife's C and my GLK has been solid so far, so it does appear that there is some bad luck factor involved in terms of reliability.

It does seem like the newer ones are somewhat better... which makes sense since MB should have (I hope) been troubleshooting
Old 02-15-2012, 12:14 AM

R350
Originally Posted by CedarMtn
Others may disagree, but I regret not getting leather. The fake leather looks good and feels like leather, but it doesn't breathe, so is very hot in summer and makes my back sweat. My wife makes the same comment. Seats are great but would be better in leather.

Not sure where you live, but if it gets cold rear seat warmers are great. My kids love them.

I'm another one who would suggest pushing for the keyless go. Sounds trivial to have your key in your pocket, but it's a great feature to be able to unlock the car and go without any fumbling around for keys. Whenever I drive a car without it I am reminded what a great option it is.

I have the diesel and tow a boat - it's a great tow vehicle with the diesel. If you plan on pulling anything I would recommend the diesel.

Good luck with your purchase.
Not plan on pulling anything... so guess still no on the diesel. But good point though!

Keyless go and seat warmers will come down to choice... really don't want to push it much beyond $59K MSRP, and there are other options that we really want. Thanks for the food for thought though... and will share with the CEO (ie. wife) and see if these examples will change her mind.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2007 R500
IMO, I would always choose xenons over halogens. The self leveling and turning into curves, as well as light output and color are must haves. Have your wife drive a model that has xenons at night so she can see the value.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:56 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Not plan on pulling anything... so guess still no on the diesel. But good point though!

Keyless go and seat warmers will come down to choice... really don't want to push it much beyond $59K MSRP, and there are other options that we really want. Thanks for the food for thought though... and will share with the CEO (ie. wife) and see if these examples will change her mind.

One thing to keep in mind is diesle is always more expensive in the winter due to home heating costs and such impacting the price of diesel...happens every winter. Typically , in Canada anyways, diesel usually costs around the price of regular the rest of th year, sometimes same as a medium grade.

The bhp is fine and dandy with the new V6, however with the lack of torque real world mpg will be lower than what is advertised. It still is a 5000lb behemoth that needs torque to get off the line. the 1500.00 difference you will come to appreciate not only the fantastic range but also the torque to get her moving. We get between 350-400 miles per tank 95% city driving which, for this size vehicle is amazing.

I like the keyless Go because it came in the package but I find it annoying. We have our car in the garage and we would leave the spare key in the vehicle. Now I have to have the key on me all the time which is annoying. It is the wife's car and she has her keychain and stuff. On my C63, I love it because it is just me 95% of the time driving it. If you plan on splitting the driving duties, just something to think about.

I don't find a huge difference between the Harma Kardon and the standard system if that helps...and I am an audiophile, although I haven't had a chance to really crank it up but still, you may want to cut there. In general, even in my C63, not terribly impressed by the Harman Kardon/Logic 7. In Canada, the premium package has the panoramic roof and this I love as my 09 did not have it, really changes the feeling insode with a lot more light, glass.

I had the pleather in the 09 and wanted leather in this one but they could not find it for me when I needed it but I like the leather in MB although I did not find much difference winter or summer between the two. My C63 has Nappa leather and it was the same as far as p breathability as the R class pleather.

Good luck and hope you join the club.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:41 PM

2002 E320 4matic Wagon
On the leather front, MB leather is really good and long term durable, and I usually have it in my DD, but for the children...

MB Tex is the way to go. It cleans up MUCH easier and these days the MB Tex is much more supple than it used to be. With the light tan interior we had no problem with excessive heat, back sweat, or stickiness (in fact the leather in my old S-class DD and my old E-class DDs has been worse for that).
Old 02-16-2012, 02:58 AM

R 350
Old R Love

I drive a 2006 R-350. Off Warrantee yes service costs $2000 for any sort of major repair like new brakes and battery.

But I live in rural Washington I've hit two deer with this thing, and it didn't shudder, twist or veer. The front took the hit and insurance paid the cost both times.

I would rather be in this lovely expensive tank than anything else on the road, thank you. Buy one from a finished leasee at 2/3 of new price and have yourself the safest vehicle this side of a Greyhound.

There is nothing else available that can seat 6 adults as comfortably as this car. Nothing. And please buy the glass panoramic roof model if you want the feeling of roomy and openness for your passengers. So says an older R owner. If you order your new one on a lease, let me know, and I'll buy it from you when you are done driving the new out of it!

Last edited by jhoehn; 02-16-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:57 AM

2002 E320 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by jhoehn
I drive a 2006 R-350. Off Warrantee yes service costs $2000 for any sort of major repair like new brakes and battery.

But I live in rural Washington I've hit two deer with this thing, and it didn't shudder, twist or veer. The front took the hit and insurance paid the cost both times.

I would rather be in this lovely expensive tank than anything else on the road, thank you. Buy one from a finished leasee at 2/3 of new price and have yourself the safest vehicle this side of a Greyhound.

There is nothing else available that can seat 6 adults as comfortably as this car. Nothing. And please buy the glass panoramic roof model if you want the feeling of roomy and openness for your passengers. So says an older R owner. If you order your new one on a lease, let me know, and I'll buy it from you when you are done driving the new out of it!
When it comes to safety, don't be fooled by marketing, PR generated reputation, and the way a vehicle feels. The better thing to do is to look at the actual data and examine the crash test videos for yourself, which is easy enough to do these days.

While the R-class does well on frontal impact, the 2006-2008 models were less than impressive in the side impact tests. The 2009+ models have improved and are now about as good as the Q7 bit but still aren't as impressive as the 2006+ XC90 or the current Toyota Sienna.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 Audi S4, 1982 Fiat Spyder, 2010 R350, 2013 E550 Cabriolet
I think you are considering a new car. As you can read, lots of the biggest complaints come from older cars. You may not even keep it much beyond original warranty. I have a 2010 with about 20,000 miles and it has had zero defects, nada. I agree with those who recommend the pano roof. Also the rear AC. My kids are now grown, but I had that with my minivan and it was worth while. As for the rear entertainment - my car has it, but it is not worthwhile. For less money, you can get two iPads and be much more flexible. You can even find nice seat back holders for them. With kids, I'd also suggest the MBtex. It is much better than any other fake leather.

I think no one mentioned that as far as price, you can join the Mercedes Benz Club and get an immediate extra $1000 discount on new. You can also run a search on Auto Trader online for new cars available in a 100 or 200 mile radius. It is highly likely one of them will deal if they know it is the only way to get the sale. Make sure you start communication over the internet. Many dealers have "internet sales" people with more pricing flexibility.

Last edited by gforaker; 02-16-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
/
Originally Posted by gforaker
I think no one mentioned that as far as price, you can join the Mercedes Benz Club and get an immediate extra $1000 discount on new.
You must be a member of MBCA for 12 consecutive months (one full year) before you get that $1k discount. (In Canada it's "up to $1,500") $49/year membership. Other benefits, too. I think it's worth it. (shameless plug)
Old 03-24-2012, 07:47 PM

R350
Thanks for all the helpful input folks, the R is now in the garage. Based on feedback, we decided to purchase a 7yr/100k mi extended warranty. However, HID and AMG wheels were no go due to wife objection (yes, very sad).

According to my sales guy, 2012's are "built out" and you can't order one anymore unless someone else is willing to give up an existing slot. Also, according to Yahoo news and what folks shared on this forum, there will be no 2013 model year... so better act quick if you want a 2012 to your specification!

And a couple of special order options worth considering... I found out too late, when the car was already building and changes could not be made

1) Black interior trim, instead of standard wood. Some early marketing photos have examples equipped with black trim and it looks really good (if you are into cave-like interior, of course...)
2) 2nd & 3rd row shades... yes, this really is something you can order! Can't believe I missed this one!!!!!

Thanks again for all the help, could not have made the purchase without it! Okay, off to dinner and putting kid to bed so I can go play with my new toy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Close to purchase, need some general input