R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Right Side Sagging On Our 2006

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 04:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 R350
There is no ride height adjustment for the self leveling rear springs... only Airmatic full air spring setup.

There could be an issue with the leveling sensors (these are located right by the air springs and are sensors that connect to the suspension via connection arms).

Picture below without the arm...

It may also be an issue with the control block.
This is located up front by the headlamp on the passenger side.

Before changing anything. I would let the air out of both springs, then start it up and see if it doesn't just correct itself.

The easy way to do it... Loosen the larger brass nut on the distribution block above. Do this with the key out. Once the air has bled off the system, re-attach the nut and start it up. Be very careful to not strip the block since the brass fitting threads into plastic threads.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz R 350 4MATIC
Jeff, thanks for the reply. I will bleed both sides Saturday and will let you know.

One thing I thought was weird was it seems most of these models have only the rear bags but pics I've seen (like my car) the whole side of the car seems to lean to the side. If only 1 corner is having a suspension issue you would think the car only dips down on the problem side....see what I'm saying ?
Old 09-11-2015, 05:07 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 R350
without going on about weight transfer, remember this thing weighs over 5,000 lbs. When you essentially remove a spring from one side, you will get lean... Totally normal...
Old 09-12-2015, 10:44 AM

Mercedes Benz R 350 4MATIC
Jeff-
Good morning, the girlfriend brought the car back in one piece. I was asking her Friday how it was driving and looked and what the lean status was. She said it looks fine, never leaned. Upon inspection this morning it looks pretty level. I went under the car and did my thump test on the bags and both had the same properties of firmness and sounded alike. I guess it just took alittle time for the computer ti sense and auto correct itself. At this point I will leave it be and watch it. If it drops again I will bleed the system as you mentioned in the previous post. Thanks again for the reply.

I guess the used bags are trash, as there is no core swap charge i'm thinking they don't rebuild these?

Have a great weekend.

chris
Old 04-17-2018, 01:59 PM

2006 CLS500
I gotta bump and old thread for a minute.

2006 CLS500, 70K miles.

The air compressor was staying on for approximately 1 minute after the car had been shut down. I read that that's possibly the 40a relay going bad, so I replaced it. The motor no longer ran after the car was shut off, however, a loud high pitch whine was heard on the front passenger side for about a minute. I assumed this was the strut bleeding air or whatever it does.

The next day, I started the car and it was no longer a low rider, and leveled itself out, so the wife drove it to work without a problem, until the afternoon ride home, the low car/do not drive - message came on. She limped it home.

The following day, it's not pumping itself back up on the right side and in a permanent state of leaning on the right.

Today, I haven't touched it but it's still leaning on the right. I need help diagnosing this before I start to throw parts on it. I'm thinking I may need a strut on the front right, but not 100% sure the compressor isn't shot either. I kind of want to replace the compressor first, and THEN see if it fixes the problem. I also have a scan tool with the ability to read and clear codes. I haven't checked this week to see what codes it's throwing, other than the battery and 3rd brake light deal that I cant seem to narrow down either.

This is a low mileage, 1 owner gem that we picked up for a killer deal. I'm about 49 seconds from lighting it on fire.