R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

New guy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 r320 CDI 4MATIC
New guy

Hello all. Today I took delivery of a new (to me) 2007 R320 CDI! Hooray me. Um, I submitted my vin in the vin decoder thread and have been trying to figure out all the bells and whistles on my own. My car didn't come with a manual (dealer auction), any one know where I can source one for cheap? For that matter, I'll be needing at least one spare key (but it's not really a key, is it?). Going through a bit of culture shock, as my previous ride was a 1992 bmw 525i/5spd. This is the opposite end of the spectrum, in more ways than one. Still, I'm very hopeful this will be a great car for me and my family for many years to come. Its my first diesel (owned) and I was surprised to find out that, for one, diesels don't use spark plugs! I'm gonna have tons of questions (does my car have full airmatic, rear only, or none?), and if there is any advice/suggestions you can share, please do. I just thought I'd introduce myself. There will be pictures to follow, as soon as it's daylight. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-18-2012, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Hey if you give me your VIN number (Private Message is fine as well) I can tell you what options your car has. I just picked up an 07 R back in April and I've learned a lot about these cars in that short amount of time.

Best bet to get a manual cheap is probably eBay.

Do you need a complete second key or just the skeleton key that goes into the remote fob? Anyways, the only place to get this is from the dealer and they need a copy of your driver's license and registration before they can submit the order from the key place!

Congrats on your purchase! It's a really good car with a lot of utility. Easily fitting six people on extended roadtrips is my primary use for it and it exceeds all expectations in doing so.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:32 AM

2007 r320 CDI 4MATIC
Thanks so much! Here's a question for you...do the side mirrors fold up at all? Couldn't figure that one at all. And how do I get the display to show the clock?
I'll get the vin to you right away.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:46 AM

2009 R350
You can get your owners manual and maintenance manual online by registering with the Mercedes Benz owners site.: https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/owners/owners_online,
Or you can find your own at the following link:
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servic...owners_manuals

The last also has a link to your comand manual which will help you with your clock.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:03 AM

2008 R350 4-matic
A new key will set you back $226 or so. Just got an extra one for mine. Word of caution on some of the VIN decoder sites. The russian site I went to only listed my base vehicle and did not list any of the options that are actually on my car.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:17 AM

2008 R350 4-matic
This is that Russian VIN site.
https://mbworld.org/forums/general-m...n-decoder.html
Old 12-19-2012, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've tried to the Russians sites before and got mixed results. If you give me your VIN I can run it through MB's EPC and tell you everything.

If your car has keyless-go a new key will run you around $347.

Power folding mirrors were an option for your car. If you have it, you'll have a button between the two mirror (left and right) adjustment buttons. If you don't have it, it will be a blank black square between your left and right mirror adjustment buttons.

The clock should be on the bottom corner of your Command screen.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here's your car's information. I broke things down to the options that it has and then in the second half is options that it doesn't have. I took all of this info from the 2007 brochure and put the parenthesis next to some options that have confusing descriptions and gave my own explanation of it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Iridium Silver Metallic Paint (option)
Black MB Tex (vinyl)
Birdseye Maple fineline wood trim

Voice Recognition Package:
6 disc CD changer
Voice recognition

Premium 1 Package:
Tele Aid
Hands free communication (telephone/bluetooth cradle sold separately)
Panorama Roof
Rear Audio Controls
SIRIUS Sat Radio
Harman/Kardon Logic 7 digital surround sound
Power rear-quarter windows (power third row windows)
Power tailgate

Individual Options:
Heated front seats
DVD navigation
2nd row center console
Parktronic
Metallic paint

Options missing:

Packages:

Premium 2 Package:
Backup camera
Parktronic
Power passenger seat with memory
Auto dimming driver side and rearview mirror
Power driver's seat with memory
Power tilt/ telescopic steering column
Power folding mirrors
DVD navigation
3 zone climate
Infrared reflecting glass
Cargo net

Premium 3 Package:
Distronic Adaptive Cruise Control
Keyless Go

Rear Seat Entertainment System:
2nd row center console
Two 7" screens
DVD player
Two wired headphones

Trim Package:
Burl walnut wood trim
Interior ambient light
Full leather seats

Lighting Package:
Bi-xenon curve illuminating headlights
Heated headlight washers
Corner illuminating fog lights

AMG Sport Package (not with Exterior Appearance Package):
AMG bumpers
19" AMG 5 spoke wheels
Chrome exhaust tips

Exterior Appearance Package (not with AMG Sport Package):
Blue tinted glass
Exterior styling
18" 5 spoke alloy whees

Sunroof Package (not with Premium 1, 2, or 3)
Power tilt and sliding sunroof (small sunroof instead of larger panoramic roof)
Dual sunshades for driver and passenger (double sun visors instead of single)
Power quarter windows (power third row windows)

Air Suspension Package:
Adaptive Damping System with driver selectable standard, comfort, and sport
Air suspension
Vehicle speed sensitive power steering

Individual Options:

Keyless Go
Heated rear seats
Wood/ leather steering wheel
iPod integration
Single screen rear seat entertainment
18" 10 spoke alloy wheels
Old 12-20-2012, 10:38 PM

2007 r320 CDI 4MATIC
Thanks

For all the info. Here's a question for you all...where's the battery? I believe the aux battery is somewhere behind/under the front passenger seat, but where's the main battery? and how do I get to it?

Also, what are your thoughts on suspension? I believe the rear is airmatic (guessing that's what those lil air bag things are on the inside of the rear wheels). I would love to lower this car for tighter handling and better looks. What are the options here? I'm not gonna go for bigger rims (not right away, anyways) but maybe a slightly more aggressive tire. Actually, the idea to stay with the same rim size and go BIGGER tires had occurred to me. The streets of brooklyn aren't very friendly...and the budget is tight, so, what is the biggest size tire I can safely run on the stock rims, anyone?

And since we are on the topic, are there any cool "zombie apocalypse" looking grill guards/bumper guards out there? Any pics, please send them my way. thanks in advance.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
Lots of good questions
1:You dont have folding mirrors.
2: Battery is under passenger seat. Basically don't touch it unless there is a problem. It is a glass matt battery. To boost you have connections under the hood. You can get to it and remove it by cutting the carpet under the seat. But easier to remove the seat. Carefull not to set off SRs alarm. It will cost you a star system reset $50.

You do have the HK sound system! It rocks.. I love it very much. My other benz has a killer sound system and sub but it only plays louder.. not sweeter! Enjoy the HK surround!
3: Standard is rear airmatic self leveling. Optional is manually lowerable, raisable. Not sure what aftermarket lowering options there are.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:31 PM

2007 r320 CDI 4MATIC
thanks!

ok, glass mat battery...leave it alone...got it. no folding mirrors, ok, sucks though (things are crowded here in the city). spaeking of which...HOLY COW! could the rear doors be any bigger!?! I'm not complainin, I'm jus sayin.

love the HK, haven't pushed it to its limits...yet. Any way to retrofit factory stereo with ipod/iphone connector that actually charges my iphone? any awesome options/upgrades for the oem stereo?

chime in anyone...
Old 12-20-2012, 11:34 PM

2005 C240 2011 R350
the rear doors are huge because the rear seat is...limousine sized! (comes in handy. wink wink nudge nudge! )
You should be able to retrofit an audio connector. I have the rear entertainment system and I use the aux inputs of that to connect.
Do you have the bluetooth adaptor in the handrest?
Old 12-20-2012, 11:44 PM

2007 r320 CDI 4MATIC
nope

no bluetooth...mybe? is that what that connector thingy is under the handrest top? I thought it was for a MB phone
Old 12-21-2012, 12:05 AM

2005 C240 2011 R350
its a connector for a blue tooth adaptor. that is what your option list says.
try this par number B67875878 (newer version with some fixes) often on ebay. There is an older model B67875839
Old 12-21-2012, 12:23 AM

2007 r320 CDI 4MATIC
and this will allow me to connect my phone wirelessly with the stereo?
Old 12-21-2012, 01:19 AM

2005 C240 2011 R350
yes .. you will be able to phone from the console. dial, see your contact list, scroll thru it etc. It wont play audio that is on your iphone though.

Ask your dealer for a quote how to add a jack for audio in.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by scram1
ok, glass mat battery...leave it alone...got it. no folding mirrors, ok, sucks though (things are crowded here in the city). spaeking of which...HOLY COW! could the rear doors be any bigger!?! I'm not complainin, I'm jus sayin.

love the HK, haven't pushed it to its limits...yet. Any way to retrofit factory stereo with ipod/iphone connector that actually charges my iphone? any awesome options/upgrades for the oem stereo?

chime in anyone...
Yes iPod can be retrofitted with an OEM part. Mine charges my phone, but you may need a special adapter depending on model of cable and phone.

Good way to increase bass on the OEM HK system is an aftermarket sub. Regard the build thread link in my sig, and the sub install is somewhere in the first few pages.

As mentioned above all you need is the bluetooth puck and plug that guy into your armrest. Then you can use your phone with the Command system. Mine is the 5978 part number and IMO looks nicer than the newer one.

BTW the options post took a long time to type that up. A thanks would be nice =]

@alanedigner Thanks!

Last edited by xxGenericSNxx; 12-21-2012 at 03:03 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:14 AM

2007 r320 CDI 4MATIC
Pretty sure I thanked you in the title of the post following your options write up...but Thanks again xxGenericSNxx!
Old 12-21-2012, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh I just reread and you said "For all the info." So I'll infer the thanks was supposed to be in there.

Anyways have a great holidays!
Old 12-24-2012, 02:11 PM

2007 r320 CDI 4MATIC
To xxGenericSNxx, now that I'm using my phone to browse this site, I can see where the thanks is not mentioned in the next post following the write up of the options you did for me. Sorry about that, and a big THANKS to you. I really appreciate it.

Here's a new question (maybe it tells you in the manual, but mine hasn't arrived yet). I've got a side marker light out. Is that accessed from under the hood, under the fender (wheel well, or does it snap out from outside? Is it a bulb I can easily pick up at autozone or do I have to go to the stealership?
Old 12-24-2012, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No problem scram.

To do the bulb, you've got to go from the wheel well. You need to crank the wheel all the way out or in depending on which side you're doing. Then you use a plastic pry tool to pry the (2 I think) plastic rivets out to gain access to the back of the light.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:15 PM

2007 r320 CDI 4MATIC
ok, thanks for the tips xxGenericSNxx, I got the snaps off and was able to reach the connector/bulb holder thing, but my big hands, clumsy knuckles wouldn't let me turn it ccw enough to get the bulb out. Amazingly, the light works now, so maybe it vibrated slightly loose? or more likely, the bulb filament is slightly broken and a large bump will cause it to fail again. At least i know I can access it, I'll just have to borrow some smaller fingers now. Thanks.

I did get my front windows tinted to match the rears...so I am enjoying a little stealth action right now.

Merry Christmas To All!!