R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2013 | 11:51 PM

Mercedes R350
need advice

Hello, I am new on this site! I have a 2006 Mercedes R350 that has been nothing but a pain for the last 2 years. Things have been needing repairs on this thing that I never had to replace on any car. The latest takes the cake: here is the email from the mechanic at the MB dealer below. Please provide any feedback on what I should do. The car is only worth about $9500 in a good running condition so it is probably not worth spending what is asked below. Is there an alternative to the valve relacements to keep this thing running for a little while longer? When I took it in, the engine light was on and it seemed to not run on all cylinders. Kind of hesitating and shaking> here you go.....
THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT/RUNNING ROUGH IS BECUASE THE INTAKE HAS COME APART AND A PIECE OF IT WENT INTO THE ENGINE.... A COUPLE DIFFERENT SCENARIOS THAT IT COULD BE BUT WONT KNOW UNTIL WE START DIGGING INTO IT.

#1- COULD BE THE ROCKER ARM GOT KICKED OFF TO THE SIDE AND IS HOLDING DOWN THE VALVE MAKING THAT CYL. LOSE COMPRESSION. IF THIS IS THE CASE IT WOULD BE ABOUT $4306.67

#2- THE PIECE THAT FELL INTO THE CYLINDER COULD HAVE MELTED TO THE VALVE(S) CAUSING IT TO NOT SEAL UP. WOULD HAVE TO REMOVE CYLINDER HEAD TO REPLACE VALVES. $5724.51

#3- COULD HAVE DAMAGED CYLINDER HEAD ITS SELF WHERE THE VALVE SEAT AND SEAL. WOULD REQ. REPLACING THE WHOLE CYL HEAD. $8462.51. (WOULD HAVE TO ORDER HEAD FROM GERMANY)

THE ONLY WAY WE CAN GO ABOUT THIS IS TO START WITH CHECKING #1 AND INSPECTING TO SEE WHAT SCENARIO WE HAVE. THE PIECE THAT FALLS INTO THE CYLINDER IS A PLASTIC PIECE AND HAVE NOT SEEN IT EVER CAUSE ANY OTHER DAMAGE BESIDES WHAT I GAVE YOU ABOVE. USUALLY IT GETS PUSHED INTO THE EXHUAST AND BURNS UP AND THATS IT. ALL THE ABOVE ALSO INCLUDES DIAG AND REPLACING THE DAMAGED INTAKE MANIFOLD. CALL ME OR COME SEE ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS
Old 03-04-2013 | 07:48 PM

R500 + SLK55 AMG
Hmmm, 06 R350? I'd certainly be asking about the well known self-destructing balance shaft gear that generated a class action lawsuit.