R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Finally pulled the trigger on a R500 -- SAKS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 BLK/BLK E-Double Nickel.
Finally pulled the trigger on a R500 -- SAKS

Well as some may know i've been shopping around for a R-class for the family. I was originally supposed to get one without airmatic. Ride was a bit floaty, but i assumed it was supposed to be like that since it was a Van/tourer. Anyway that deal collapsed, because it didnt pass a "ceritifaction" which worked out on my favor because the next day I stumbled across a Clean 2006 R500 with the saks 5th avenue package at Mercedes-Benz New Rochelle(great facility BTW). The car is mint.. Does not have power trunk or keyless, BUT those are not deal-breakers at all.

I will say the airmatic is night and day compared to strut and springs front setup, no offense to anyone with strut and springs, especially since the downside of a failed air-strut = $$$$$. However, switching dampers to comfort on the streets and sport on the highway works perfectly for me. The airmatic feels more sturdy. Plus I do plan on lowering it as a personal preference, which makes it perfect for my wife, where at the touch of a button she can just raise it up.

Interior is efffin excellent. I should have looked into a R-500 even sooner. The first thing the kids noticed were the leather seats with alcantara guts. aluminum and carbon fiber trim ties it in very well. I think Saks should have been an option for other colors though.

All in all im happy with the purchase, my wife is doing great with the kids, their schooling and taking care of my home circle. So she deserves something more than our past 3 Nissan quests (once again, no offense I love those minivans).

My plans within the next month is
-adjustable air ride links which may need spacers to fill gaps
-Xenons headlights
-tints
-Basic rear entertainment behind the headrest

Even though this forum is small I appreciate all the feedback support.

Below are a few cell phone quality pics. I will upload more with better quality. Even though i haven't seen many pics that do this car actual justice.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2007 R320 4matic / Airmatic
Before you go lowering the airmatic, do realize the system does automatically lower itself somewhat at highway speeds. See page 271 of the owner's manual, and see at the 1-minute mark on the video:

Last edited by PeteInLongBeach; 04-02-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach
Before you go lowering the airmatic, do realize the system does automatically lower itself somewhat at highway speeds. See page 271 of the owner's manual, and see at the 1-minute mark on the video:

AIRMATIC -- Air Suspension System Technology -- Mercedes-Benz - YouTube

Hey pete thanks for the vid. its blocked at work, i'll check it out at home. But yes i am fully familiar with mercedes airmatic. Its the same setup in the w211 e55. I believe it lowers itself at 80MPH. its pretty much a preference.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach

AIRMATIC -- Air Suspension System Technology -- Mercedes-Benz - YouTube
GREAT VIDEO....
Old 04-03-2013, 02:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 R500
hey, congrats on a great ride. yeah, airmatic is awesome and worth the added expense and headaches in my opinion, wouldn't consider one without it personally. best of luck with it
Old 04-03-2013, 08:34 PM

R500 + SLK55 AMG
Hmmm.....I like the alcantara inserts in the seats. My white R500 has the full leather seats in macadamia but my SLK32 AMG has alcantara seats and they are grippy as well as comfortable when the weather is cold or hot. I think alcantara is a case where synthetic materials win.

Never even knew a Saks edition was offered. Enjoy!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:03 PM

06 s 430
good luck i am picking up a 07 500 tommorrow same color that color is sexy
Old 04-04-2013, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by turbocad6
hey, congrats on a great ride. yeah, airmatic is awesome and worth the added expense and headaches in my opinion, wouldn't consider one without it personally. best of luck with it

Thanks Man.. The suspension is more solid and worth it in my opinion...

Originally Posted by Spud_Racer
Hmmm.....I like the alcantara inserts in the seats. My white R500 has the full leather seats in macadamia but my SLK32 AMG has alcantara seats and they are grippy as well as comfortable when the weather is cold or hot. I think alcantara is a case where synthetic materials win.

Never even knew a Saks edition was offered. Enjoy!
Agreed, the alcantara is really comfortable. Saks was rare, it was orginally introduced with the w251 was released. I believe they all come standard with the same exact features, nothing more, nothing less. The interior is what sold it for me.

Originally Posted by slownlow718
good luck i am picking up a 07 500 tommorrow same color that color is sexy
Thanks man, at first i wasnt too crazy about the color, but now i cant stop starring at it... Enjoy it!