Frist towing experience with R320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 09:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 R320 CDI, 2006 smart fortwo cabrio, 1983 240D, 1982 300SD, 1980 300SD
Frist towing experience with R320

Wow what a machine!
I have a fair amount of towing experience usually towing cars on a dolly with other cars and a Dodge Ram cummins diesel (14 years, probably close to 50k miles of towing many cross country trips etc silly ebay!). With the exception of the Dodge truck, everything was pretty well beyond its capacity to tow when pulling another car (1989 Audi 100Q, 1978 Lincoln Continental, 2010 Ford Ranger 4 cyl, Toyota diesel HiLux pick up) but never had problems or issues or even close calls, I am not one to take risks when loaded. Just underpowered cars!
I finally put the Mercedes R320 up to the task, towed a 1980 300TD on a tow dolly, probably 4000lbs and did it ever surprise me! What a joyful experience, completely relaxed drive with ample power, engine braking, cooling capacity etc. I could not believe how communicative the steering was and no corrections needed, just dead on down the highway and watch the mirrors cause the dolly is wider. The air suspension was level and flat total comfort. I monitored temps with a scan guage, ambient temp was 29C and sunny midday, coolant was running 93-94C, intake air 35C. I ran the a/c once out on the open highway, it stabilized temps even more meaning a good design (older cars I could never do that! Too much heat build up). The engine was shifting a "normal" rpms, and running 1500rpm often when not accelerating, I think max rpms was 2400 for the trip. I only went 40miles each way and returned 23mpg (10.3L/100kms, 27.4 imp gallon) as measured buy the dash read out and calibrated scan guage. I am sure it would have steadily increased had I extended the highway driving, 55mph. It was soo easy and smooth, forget about rough and loose pick up trucks! Glad I sold the Ram for the R!
It seems the harder it works the better it gets, the torque was ample, the suspension smooth, the steering more centered/better feedback. I had ZERO trailer sway which I often had with other tow vehicles, the car being towed never budged and I never felt anything move back there, very reassuring. Even with an empty tow dolly it ran straight which never happened before it would always dance around back there!
My only negative comments, the mirrors are too small on the R, you can either have them watching traffic or aimed lower at the trailer but not both. The mirrors are in a good position to see either way, the body contour does not interfer.
So if your careful and have experience towing don't shy away from the R class, it is well up to the task! Far beyond my dreams!
Old 07-05-2013, 10:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2011 R350 BT
Agree - it's a great tow vehicle. I tow a boat (probably close to the 3500 lb limit when loaded and fueled up) and it really is effortless. The engine and brakes seem capable of a heavier load - I guess the hitch attachment is the limiting factor. Previous tow vehicles were an MDX (this was OK - but not as good as the R) and a Highlander Hybrid (which was OK as a tow vehicle on pavement, but useless on gravel or slippery conditions because of the drive system). The R gets WAY better mileage too when towing than my previous vehicles.