R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Lowered car with aftermarket wheels and warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
Lowered car with aftermarket wheels and warranty

Understand that each individual's experience may vary greatly depending on dealership, service advisor, region/country etc. etc. but how are people's luck with factory warranty with their R when it is lowered and/or with aftermarket wheels?

Specifically, was any claim denied? And if so, is it something that may be related (such as issues with suspension components) or something less related (say something wrong with the engine/transmission)?

My car was purchased new in 4/2012 (TX) and I bought the extended warranty up to 7 years/100k miles. Lowering my car by 1.5 in all around and putting on some 20x8.5 (was 20x10, but decided that is probably not wise) wheels... otherwise completely stock

Wondering at this point if I should be prepared to cancel the extended warranty... or will MB be cool with most repairs...

Anyhow, understand your experience may absolutely not translate to my future experience... but still curious what everyone thinks...
Old 08-29-2013, 10:14 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
None
Why don't you swing by you local MB service center and talk to an advisor about it? You can ask them if its an issue. At least you will get a feel for that particular center in your area.

Good luck and report back
Old 08-29-2013, 11:08 PM

R350
I did... My advisor said it will void the warranty, and recommend keeping stock.

Hopefully this is the standard scripted response? I can't imagine her saying anything else... But curious what would really happen when push comes to shove
Old 08-29-2013, 11:27 PM

None
That scripted response is the same they may very well give you when you actually need warranty work done. From what I understand they actually want to do warranty work as they get paid by MB HQ.
Of course they must have procedures and controls in place to ensure the system isn't abused.

That being said I can see why they would say that they wouldn't want to cover an upgraded suspension under factory warranty. The warranty work is to bring the vehicle back into spec. Obviously this is not possible if your ride was purposely modified out of spec. The new part may be operating outside the parameters it was designed for.

A good shop will ignore any mods that do not have to do with the repair/issue at hand.
But if any part of your suspension needed work and your vehicle was altered in such a way that the vehicle was not designed/engineered to accommodate then you will really need to turn on the charm and make the case.

Personally I think if your problem isn't suspension related you should be okay. If it is suspension related and you have a 1.5" drop be prepared to foot the bill yourself.

Try other MB service centers in your area and see what they say.

By the way, how do you plan to lower your vehicle? Spring replacements alone? Or the whole strut assembly? Have you considered a slight 0.75" drop? Reason I ask is if its just the springs AND your drop isn't that pronounced (less than 1") then they may not notice it at all.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:45 PM

R350
Thanks for the input ODIUS, what you said makes sense to me... I think I am okay footing the bill if it is something suspension related... say an arm fails or airbag breaks. What I am hoping is MB won't try to pin, say, a sound coming from the engine (which was actually noticed in service B today, so my car has been kept for more observation... mods not in yet, so any issue they discover is all MB!) as due to the suspension mods and not covered with warranty.

About the drop... unfortunately I don't have Airmatic (just bags in the rear and springs up front), so I can't really adjust just a little. The HR springs I got for the front drops by about 1.4, so that is that... rears will also come down about the same amount by using links from adjustableairlinks

Better go work on my charm!!

Anyhow, if anyone has experience with factory warranty and mods... please share!
Old 08-30-2013, 12:39 AM

None
Im actually in the process of getting extended warranty from Fidelity. Im reading through the contract now and happened across this exclusion list. Of course, you warranty will be different so you should have a look at the fine print. No 1 jumped immediately out for your situation.

EXCLUSIONS FROM COVERAGE:

THIS SERVICE CONTRACT WILL NOT PAY OR REIMBURSE YOU FOR:
1. ANY LOSS, DAMAGE OR EXPENSE CAUSED BY ACCIDENTS, ANY ALTERATION TO THE VEHICLE OR THE PART, USE OF OVERSIZED OR UNDERSIZED TIRES OR WHEELS, ALTERATION TO THE VEHICLE NOT AUTHORIZED BY ITS MANUFACTURER, THE FAILURE OF ANY PART NOT COVERED BY THIS SERVICE CONTRACT, OR ACCIDENTAL LOSS;
2. ANY MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN CAUSED BY ACCIDENTS, COLLISION, UPSET DAMAGE, FALLING OBJECTS, THEFT, LARCENY, EXPLOSION, LIGHTNING, EARTHQUAKES, FIRE, WINDSTORMS, HAIL, WATER, FLOODS, SUBFREEZING TEMPERATURE, MALICIOUS MISCHIEF, VANDALISM, CIVIL COMMOTION, RIOTS, OR WARS;
3. THE REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF A COVERED PART BY ANY MANUFACTURER WARRANTY OR FOR ANY OTHER COVERAGE OR OTHER REASON THE MANUFACTURER, IMPORTER, DISTRIBUTOR, SELLER OR REPAIRER OF THE VEHICLE WILL REPAIR OR REPLACE THE PART AT ITS EXPENSE OR AT A REDUCED COST. SOLE COVERAGE FOR SUCH REPAIRS OR REPLACEMENTS SHALL REST WITH THE MANUFACTURER WARRANTY OR OTHER COVERAGE REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE MANUFACTURER OR OTHER COVERAGE PROVIDER HONORS THEIR CLAIM;
4. ANY INVOICE PRESENTED TO FWS FOR PAYMENT FOR SERVICES NOT PERFORMED AS DESCRIBED AT THE TIME OF AUTHORIZATION;
5. ANY CLAIM IF YOUR VEHICLE’S ODOMETER, SINCE THE SERVICE CONTRACT PURCHASE DATE, HAS BEEN ALTERED, DISCONNECTED, IS INOPERABLE, OR ACTUAL MILEAGE CANNOT BE DOCUMENTED, OR REASONABLY BE ESTIMATED;
6. ANY CLAIM IF YOUR VEHICLE IS USED FOR COMPETITIVE DRIVING OR RACING, POLICE OR EMERGENCY SERVICE, PRINCIPALLY OFF-ROAD USE, SNOW REMOVAL, CARRIAGE OF PASSENGERS FOR HIRE, COMMERCIAL DELIVERY/SERVICE/REPAIR, RENTAL PURPOSES, OR TOWING A TRAILER OR ANOTHER VEHICLE UNLESS YOUR VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED FOR THIS AS RECOMMENDED BY THE MANUFACTURER;
7. ANY MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN CAUSED BY MISUSE, ABUSE, NEGLIGENCE (INCLUDING THE NEGLIGENCE OF ANY REPAIR FACILITY), IMPROPER TOWING, OR LACK OF MAINTENANCE OF THE FAILED COVERED PART; 8. ANY MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN CAUSED BY CONTAMINATION, OVERHEATING, LACK OF COOLANT OR LUBRICANTS, LACK OF OIL VISCOSITY, SLUDGE, RESTRICTED OIL FLOW, SALT, RUST AND RUST DAMAGE, ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE, OR CHEMICALS;
9. THE NEED TO REPAIR OR REPLACE A COVERED PART ARISING OR RESULTING FROM THE USE OF YOUR VEHICLE OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES, ITS TERRITORIES OR POSSESSIONS OR CANADA;
10. HAZARDOUS WASTE DISPOSAL CHARGES, BATTERY DISPOSAL CHARGES, ENVIRONMENTAL FEES, STORAGE OR FREIGHT CHARGES, ADJUSTMENTS, SHOP SUPPLIES, CORE CHARGES, OR CORRECTION OF RATTLES/ SQUEAKS/WIND NOISE/ODORS/WATER LEAKS;
11. ANY CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO FIRE DAMAGE), SECONDARY DAMAGES, OR OTHER COSTS THAT YOU MAY SUFFER AS A RESULT OF THE NEED TO REPAIR OR REPLACE A COVERED PART
12. LIABILITY FOR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY, INJURY TO OR DEATH OF ANY PERSON ARISING OUT OF THE OPERATION, MAINTENANCE OR USE OF YOUR VEHICLE WHETHER OR NOT RELATED TO THE COVERED PARTS;
13. UNDER POWERTRAIN, SILVER, GOLD AND GOLD PLUS COVERAGES, ANY PART THAT IS NOT SPECIFICALLY LISTED AS COVERED UNDER THE COVERAGE SELECTED;
14. UNDER PLATINUM COVERAGE, ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PARTS: BRAKE LININGS, BRAKE DRUMS AND ROTORS, DISC BRAKE PADS, STANDARD TRANSMISSION CLUTCH COMPONENTS AND ASSEMBLIES, AIR BAGS, SOLAR POWERED DEVICES, HINGES, GLASS, LENSES, SEALED BEAMS, BODY PARTS AND/OR PANELS, TRIM, MOLDINGS, DOOR HANDLES, LOCK CYLINDERS, TIRES, WHEELS, ALL BATTERIES EXCEPT HYBRID/EV/HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERIES AS LISTED UNDER SILVER COVERAGE PLAN, LIGHT BULBS, UPHOLSTERY, PAINT, BRIGHT METAL, FREEZE PLUGS, HEATER AND RADIATOR HOSES, EXHAUST SYSTEM, SHOCK ABSORBERS, AUDIO/SECURITY OR OTHER SYSTEMS NOT FACTORY INSTALLED, WORK SUCH AS FRONT-END ALIGNMENT OR WHEEL BALANCING, CONSTANT VELOCITY JOINT BOOTS, SAFETY RESTRAINT SYSTEMS, CELLULAR PHONES, RADAR DETECTORS, APPLIANCES, OR VINYL AND CONVERTIBLE TOPS;
15. GRADUAL BATTERY CAPACITY LOSS. NICKEL-METAL HYDRATE OR LITHIUM-ION BATTERIES, LIKE ALL BATTERIES, WILL EXPERIENCE GRADUAL CAPACITY LOSS WITH TIME AND USE. LOSS OF BATTERY CAPACITY DUE TO OR RESULTING FROM GRADUAL CAPACITY LOSS IS NOT COVERED UNDER THIS SERVICE CONTRACT;
16. BURNT VALVES, WORN OR CARBON FOULED PISTON RINGS, THE CORRECTION OF OIL CONSUMPTION, OR ANY REPAIRS FOR REDUCTION IN ENGINE EFFICIENCY THAT MUST BE PERFORMED ON YOUR VEHICLE; 17. ANY MAINTENANCE ON YOUR VEHICLE, UNLESS OPTIONAL CAR CARE SERVICE PLAN IS SELECTED;
18. ANY PERSONAL EXPENSES (EXCEPT WHERE NOTED UNDER TRAVEL BREAKDOWN) ARISING BECAUSE YOUR VEHICLE IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR YOU TO USE;
19. DAMAGES CAUSED TO YOUR ENGINE RESULTING FROM THE INGESTION OF WATER THROUGH THE ENGINE AIR INTAKE SYSTEM (COMMONLY REFERRED TO AS WATER INGESTION);
20. THE FAILURE OF A COVERED PART DUE TO A GRADUAL REDUCTION IN OPERATING PERFORMANCE AS A RESULT OF NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR FOR VEHICLES WITH 50,000 MILES OR GREATER. PARTS SUBJECT TO THIS PROVISION SHALL INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO: STEERING AND SUSPENSION BUSHINGS, BALL JOINTS, TIE ROD ENDS, STEERING AND SUSPENSION LINKS, AND STEERING ARMS. YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES
Old 08-30-2013, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
I had my air suspension in the rear lowered via the SDS (MB computer) at the dealer. If you are friends with a competent tech they can help you out with this, and generally if you have a good relationship with the dealer/manager they'll look the other way if there's some warranty issues with suspension related things.