Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350 & R350
R-Class tailgate problem

Hi, forum!

This is my 1st post here!

As the subject suggests, I have problems with my automatic tailgate on my R-Class. I'll try describe it as good as I can below:

When I let the tailgate close automatically (either via one of the red buttons (close key or lock key) on the tailgate itself), the open/lock key on the inside of the driver door or via the remote key it fails approx. 9 out of 10 times.

If I do push ("help") the tailgate with my hand when it has some 5-10% left of it's closing cycle (towards the end of being "mated" with the car) then I'm always successful and the tailgate is properly closed and locked.

When I was at my local garage the other day (for other services) they tried lubing the lock as well as adjusting position of the hook on the car itself (the part that the lock attaches itself to) to no avail.

I also get the message on the display that the tailgate isn't closed which is very irritating when driving as it keeps on beeping every now and then.

I wonder - is it the lock that is at fault or some other component inside the tailgate door?

If it is the lock that needs replacing, is this the correct part; 164 740 07 35 and is this kind of an DIY job? Are there alternative parts available from other sources than MB themselves?

Is the lock the same as on non-automatic tailgate?

Thanks for reading and help/advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-18-2013, 07:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
The tailgate is a known problem. If you search it you will find several suggestions. One try is to not put the half way limiter on. Some say the wiring on the roof hydraulics is faulty. The dealer will suggest adjusting it (not under warranty) then replacing the latch.
Mine was replaced a year ago and it is failing again. Mine wont open remotely but if I open in manual and give it just a tiny pull it opens. I may try to get it replaced again while under warranty but it is such a fight with the dealers all the time. I may take a look see myself. The mechanics are just lousy at troubleshooting.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:24 PM

R350 & R350
Well, I've ordered the lock but haven't got it yet.

But, while waiting I'm still using the car/tailgate and I run into problems today. I cannot open the door and not even by using the manual lever from the inside. I hear the bling bling sound, the hydraulics/pump and some other noises from the system as it tries but it gives up after some 5-10 seconds. I've also tried using the manual lever while pressing the remote key to open and also from the outside to "help" the door while it tries to open it to no avail.

Well, simply put... HELP!
Old 10-15-2013, 03:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)
Originally Posted by Kingpin!
Well, I've ordered the lock but haven't got it yet.

But, while waiting I'm still using the car/tailgate and I run into problems today. I cannot open the door and not even by using the manual lever from the inside. I hear the bling bling sound, the hydraulics/pump and some other noises from the system as it tries but it gives up after some 5-10 seconds. I've also tried using the manual lever while pressing the remote key to open and also from the outside to "help" the door while it tries to open it to no avail.

Well, simply put... HELP!
Not sure it is the same thing but I experienced similar problem. It ends up with the battery doesn't have enough juice to pull the liftgate up.

Have the car running for awhile and don't turn off the ignition. If the liftgate starts working, it can be your battery. Btw, battery = $$$$
The following users liked this post:
R3504Matic (10-12-2021)
Old 10-15-2013, 03:28 PM

R350 & R350
Originally Posted by supernsx
Not sure it is the same thing but I experienced similar problem. It ends up with the battery doesn't have enough juice to pull the liftgate up.

Have the car running for awhile and don't turn off the ignition. If the liftgate starts working, it can be your battery. Btw, battery = $$$$
Thanks and nice idea but I've already tried that even though I'm quite sure that my battery is quite allright.

It's more like that the lock has kind of malfunctioned or something inside the door has snapped or whatever.

Wonder how I can access the door at all now, I really hope there is a way to unlock/open it and to gain access to the lock etc.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:43 PM

R500 + SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by supernsx

What? The battery isn't expensive. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...9459_754639_0_

Absorbed glass mat direct replacement including venting $175. One hour to replace DIY. 3 year replacement warranty.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:53 PM

R500 + SLK55 AMG
Thanks and nice idea but I've already tried that even though I'm quite sure that my battery is quite allright.

It's more like that the lock has kind of malfunctioned or something inside the door has snapped or whatever.

Wonder how I can access the door at all now, I really hope there is a way to unlock/open it and to gain access to the lock etc.
Sounds like you may need the latch plate kit and the door motor assembly at this point.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:09 PM

R350 & R350
Originally Posted by Spud_Racer
Sounds like you may need the latch plate kit and the door motor assembly at this point.
Do you know which MB part numbers that may be? Thanks!
Old 10-15-2013, 10:27 PM

R500 + SLK55 AMG
Do you know which MB part numbers that may be? Thanks!
I don't, sorry. All my work to this point has been done under warranty by MB.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:11 AM

R350 & R350
Just thought I'd post a follow-up so anyone experiencing the same problem(s) possibly can be helped.

I purchased a brand new lock (original part) and had it replaced. Now it works as it should/was intended to and has failed (yet). No other adjustments were done to my knowledge.

The sound when you hear the lock actually locking is very different from before so now I understand that the old lock was really worn out.

It's so nice to just press the button(s) now and forget about it compared to standing there and timing when to help push the door!