R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Brake tools?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 11:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake tools?

I posted this question in the back end of another thread but want to make sure i can figure it out before I start my brakes.

I have read various thread with brakes. I have a 2008 r350 gas with 330 front and solid rear.

I have many sizes of allen keys and metric and english sockets. I am not sure what I have for torx or star whichever its called.

Can someone give me a breakdown of the sizes and tools needed for this? Including the set screw in the front rotor.

I will also be opening the brake line to allow the fluid to drain out and replace the fluid (not sure if thats bleeding or flushing but thats what i will do). What tool for that too?

I just dont want to jack it up, pull the wheel and not have the right tool. I am buying the star/torx stuff as I go knowing that mb likes it.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:48 AM
Banned

also, what extra items should I use. grease, loc-tite and such?
Old 03-03-2016, 05:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 R350
Originally Posted by Miyanc
I posted this question in the back end of another thread but want to make sure i can figure it out before I start my brakes.

I have read various thread with brakes. I have a 2008 r350 gas with 330 front and solid rear.

I have many sizes of allen keys and metric and english sockets. I am not sure what I have for torx or star whichever its called.

Can someone give me a breakdown of the sizes and tools needed for this? Including the set screw in the front rotor.

Standard Metric tools are basically all you will need. I don't know what size the rotor set screw is since I never did have to change the OEM rotors that went on it at 46k. Now do make sure you have a 9MM allen key or socket. Those are very hard to come by believe it or not. I found a Oreily's that had one stashed in the back. Other than that normal metric stuff like wrenches and sockets. A big screwdriver and clamp for compressing the brake piston.

I will also be opening the brake line to allow the fluid to drain out and replace the fluid (not sure if thats bleeding or flushing but thats what i will do). What tool for that too?

Don't do that if you don't know how to properly bleed brakes. You run a risk of introducing air into the line and that is WAY worse than old fluid remaining in the line. Strongly advise a brake fluid flush. I used a Power Bleeder to flush her brakes a week or so after doing the pad install but a shop can do it for you as well. I have never expelled fluid out of the bleeder when compressing brakes and would be really concerned that air would get in.

I just dont want to jack it up, pull the wheel and not have the right tool. I am buying the star/torx stuff as I go knowing that mb likes it.
Originally Posted by Miyanc
also, what extra items should I use. grease, loc-tite and such?
More answers above. Beyond them you will want some brake grease for the part of the pad that slides on the rotor bracket. I do not use that crazy orange glue that everyone else uses. Brake grease just carefully applied at the slide points eliminates all chatter for me. Also, be sure to use that grease on the slide bolts that hold the caliper to the caliper frame. The caliper needs to float freely on those.

It was a simple job, once I had the freakin' 9MM allen.

Last edited by josworth; 03-03-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:41 PM
Banned

thanks for the advise jeff. I have bled the brakes on every car or truck i have done the brakes on. I might have sounded confused because I didnt want to get into the debate as to what is flushing and what is bleeding. to me they are the same thing, but flushing requires more fluid. Same steps. I was just asking if the release for the fluid required a special tool. its usually a small closed end wrench.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 R350
If I recall, the bleeder screw requires an 8mm wrench... but I could be wrong.. I do know for sure it is a standard size since I had it in my tool box... LOL

down the road you should look at one of these.

http://www.motiveproducts.com/collec...r-bleeder-kits

It is $49.50 on Amazon... I used it on the R to flush the brake fluid... It was cake... the hardest thing was jacking up the car and pulling wheels... It works at a low enough pressure that you don't have to worry about blowing a seal but also don't have to screw around with those crappy vacuum pump bleeders either.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:29 PM
Banned

At some point and the oil one too.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:42 PM
Banned

So... not that I thought differently but jeff ur were not wrong. So I thought what you were saying is that if you went to get the single 9mm allen wrench it would be hard. I knew I had several allen sets, socket and wrench. Including my fathers old tool box that has several sets that were never opened. So I go to get started and set one, no 9. Set 2 no 9. Unopened sets with lists of what they have inside. Nope not there either. Oreilys, auto zone, advanced auto... no, no no. Thankfully 2 stores down from advance auto, was a harbor freight. They had a wrench set that ironically enough can count to 10.

Also the brake fluid at mb was only 16.

Fronts are done gonna do the rear in a bit, but so far a very easy task. The only issue, other then the 9mm, is the rotor removal. I hate the first time I do things in the sense that I am not sure what to expect. So the set screw comes out with my impact drill. First time I wasnt aware I needed to remove the caliper holder. The other metal thing held on with 21mm bolts. Which was only a minor inconvenience that I dont remember being documented before. That wasnt the issue. If the set screw is there only to help get the rotor lines up before install then great, but after I removed the screw I figured tap, tap and bam the rotor would drop off. Well tap tap tap tap baangbang bang and still on tight. Spray with liquid wrench and wait before ta
Tap, bang bang and nothing. More spray and more tap and still nothing. Am I missing something, forget something, is it seized or melted together? Well after a while I gues the liquid wrench worked because tap and poof. Thats when I couldnt get it off without taking the other bracket.

So front driver took 6 hours and the left 30 minutes, but that included the bleeding and tire removal and replacing, jacking and such.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts
2008 R320 CDI, 1987 560SL
Remember, on the rears you're going to have to back-off the parking brake adjuster.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
A TORX set is a prerequisite to any service on a Benz. Look under the hood and see how many torx bolts there are in various places. I gather you also have a torque wrench?
Also if you remove the calipers, you need new self locking bolts from your dealer.... to do this by the book... Yet I have been changing rotors for years on my MBs and never replaced them. No calipers falling off yet.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by efzauner
A TORX set is a prerequisite to any service on a Benz. Look under the hood and see how many torx bolts there are in various places. I gather you also have a torque wrench?
Also if you remove the calipers, you need new self locking bolts from your dealer.... to do this by the book... Yet I have been changing rotors for years on my MBs and never replaced them. No calipers falling off yet.
I have a few torx. And plenty of allen... and a 9mm too.