R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

HID vs LED in Projector Headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R500
HID vs LED in Projector Headlights

There's a new generation of LED Headlights out and they're good! The new LED Lights have a small heat sink and cooling fan.

My R500 came with the Halogen headlights and need an upgrade. Studied-up a little and determined there are two good products out there but still have questions I can't find answers for.

1. Read that the mTech HID Conversion works well on the R-Class. Does the R-Class wiring connector plug into the mTech wiring or is there cutting and splicing? Do you have to modify the Headlight Assembly? The big question is once converted is there no going back?

2. Read that the OPT7 Brand of (H7) LED Bulb is the best and most reliable, but should be used with an ECM Capacitor to eliminate flickering and the dreaded error messages. In another blog I read that through projector beams, LEDs are better than Halogens but nowhere near as effective as HID. But in headlights with large reflectors they are nearly as good as HID. My question here is do they fit in the R-class headlight? Has anyone tried this alternative yet?

Considering HID low beams and LED high beams (instant on!). Is there room in the headlight assemblies for LED Bulbs?

Any feedback would help!
Old 08-31-2017, 05:18 PM

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
2017 GLC300 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
Although i dont drive a R class, i would check with AZNoptics (not sure of the spelling) he makes the projector lights for the MBZ cars, see what he can do for you
Old 08-31-2017, 08:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 R350
I have HID on the R right now and have done my research on the LED. From what i read online you should just stay with HID in the Projector housing. LED will need a special housing to make it work. putting LED in a normal projector housing only make the light nice and white but will be nowhere near as far and bright on the road as HID.