Retrofit backup camera

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 08:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 R350
Retrofit backup camera

Hi,

I'd like to install a backup camera for my wife's 2008 R350. It doesn't have nav but does have a screen for the radio. Is it possible to retrofit one to work with that screen?

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2017, 10:28 PM

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
2019 Audi Q8, 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2015 GL63, & 2005 E500W4
Originally Posted by R350NYC
Hi,

I'd like to install a backup camera for my wife's 2008 R350. It doesn't have nav but does have a screen for the radio. Is it possible to retrofit one to work with that screen?

Thanks!
My understanding is that unless your COMAND system was already back-up camera enabled, you will not be able to retrofit a back-up camera to your system. If your COMAND system was back-up camera enabled, it probably already has a back-up camera. The most common way to install a back-up camera is to do so through a kit that will replace your rear-view mirror. There are also wireless systems that will enable you to have a back-up camera with a Garmin-like screen affixed to your dash.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:41 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2002 C240 (W203) 2007 R500 (W251)
Cool Android Rear View Mirror

Originally Posted by Yoni94
My understanding is that unless your COMAND system was already back-up camera enabled, you will not be able to retrofit a back-up camera to your system. If your COMAND system was back-up camera enabled, it probably already has a back-up camera. The most common way to install a back-up camera is to do so through a kit that will replace your rear-view mirror. There are also wireless systems that will enable you to have a back-up camera with a Garmin-like screen affixed to your dash.
I'll second Yoni on using a rear view mirror ... i went through three before i found the right one. One of the other nice things about these is that they act as a dashcam (front and back dual recording). The first one was pretty basic, the second had more options but this current one has GPS and the camera itself sits under the screen so it's easily adjustable (and can even turn to record anywhere within a 350 degrees). It has android also so i just side loaded Waze and tether it to my phone for data and works flawlessly. Other thing that i like about it is that the 'screen' only occupies the left third of the mirror so i can use the right hand side 2/3's to actually view out the rear window like an ordinary mirror without other crap sitting over it. (which fits with room to spare... the mirror itself is wider than the OEM)
As for the cameras... first one i fitted UNDER my rear bumper... worked fine but yeah, angle was offputting... second one was inside the car at the top of the headliner... was ok.. angle was fine but bad picture when it rains lol. So the current one i finally bit the bullet and tore apart the trunk panel to install it properly placed ... but it was a pita especially getting the cable through the wire hose at the door hinge lol ... was almost ready to cut the dam thing and even getting the wire through the front / rear side and then up under the headliner to where the rubber is was no easy thing ... i didn't want to use the 2.4ghz wireless because i've used it before on another vehicle and the picture can get interference ... and park in front of my local Best Buy for example, you just get static!
Have looked at replacing the head unit also ... but mainly didn't want to loose the dashcam function

Last edited by JonMac; 10-16-2017 at 10:44 PM.