R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Airmatic issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 09:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2007 r320
Airmatic issue?

So I bought my R class 2 weeks ago (got an amazing deal on it) but Ive been having to sort out all the bugs left behind from its previous 10 years.

I had what I thought was a faulty ISM, and hunted it down to being an ISM wire shorted to ground under the car, and fixed it.

During all this it was throwing every message possible on the dash with messages, one of them was the airmatic system and found one half of the car right bottomed out.

In doing that I had unplugged all sensors and harnesses and fuses, relays, you name it. I also had the car lifted up with a jack while trouble shooting all this, etc.

Everything is sorted out now and the car runs great, no warnings on dash, but the one side of the car is definitely lower than the other now. (passenger side lower)

Only button I have for it is the C/S button on the dash and I have tried switching between the too, but the vehicle is still uneven. It appears as thought it has gone up a bit, but there is still a significant difference in the two sides.

Any ideas? I will check for leaks and try to locate the compressor (not sure where it is on this car)

Thanks again!

J
Old 10-31-2017, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R 500
Check the ride height sensors. The first generation sensors tend to get rusty and stick.If you replace them you will need to have the ride height reset with a Star system or equivalent computer.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:28 PM

2007 r320
Well I havent driven the car in a couple of days, and the one side that was low, is now right bottomed out... so Im going to go with there is a leak. Going to look into it and hopefully find the problem. I will definitely check out the ride height sensors thank you.

Any other suggestions or input?
Old 11-08-2017, 11:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
Are you sure you have the Airmatic system (which gives you control over ride height plus damping. Or just the standard rear suspension auto leveling airsuspension? The simple C/S button is for transmission gear change programming. If you really have Airmatic you should see 2 buttons on the lower console. . One is the Adaptive Damping System ADS switch that toggles between sport.comfort and automatic.> the selection should show up in your dash display. The other button is ride hight , also on the lower console.

The standard is just the rear autoleveling air bags... you have no control over these. The C/S button only controls transmission switch points and shows up as C or S on your dash display.

Do you hear the airpump working? If it is still working it should try to level the rear side. If it never goes on, it could be burnt out. A result of not fixing leaking airbags is a worn our air pump.

Do you have an owners manual for your car? It should explain the airmatic control if you actually have it..

you can download one here https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servi...owners_manuals
The following users liked this post:
imstock (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 09:17 AM

2007 r320
Originally Posted by efzauner
Are you sure you have the Airmatic system (which gives you control over ride height plus damping. Or just the standard rear suspension auto leveling airsuspension? The simple C/S button is for transmission gear change programming. If you really have Airmatic you should see 2 buttons on the lower console. . One is the Adaptive Damping System ADS switch that toggles between sport.comfort and automatic.> the selection should show up in your dash display. The other button is ride hight , also on the lower console.

The standard is just the rear autoleveling air bags... you have no control over these. The C/S button only controls transmission switch points and shows up as C or S on your dash display.

Do you hear the airpump working? If it is still working it should try to level the rear side. If it never goes on, it could be burnt out. A result of not fixing leaking airbags is a worn our air pump.

Do you have an owners manual for your car? It should explain the airmatic control if you actually have it..

you can download one here https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servi...owners_manuals
I did see an airmatic warning come on the dash once when I was working on the car. Right now the drivers side back AND front, are much higher up than the passenger side back AND front. So it doesnt appear to only be rear autoleveling air bags.

I just read the manual and it did say to not have he key in the ignition when lifting any portion of the vehicle with a jack, and I did have the once side of the car jacked up and tried starting the car and turning it off while it was in the air. I may have messed up the auto leveling of the vehicle now and that may need to be reset?
Old 11-09-2017, 09:24 AM

2005 C240 2011 R350
I doubt the system can be damaged that way. I am pretty sure it is a safety issue so that the airmatic does not move the car while on jack

So when you use the console switch to lower and raise the ride height nothing happens? or does the pump turn on? If nothing happens then its the pump or system. If it pumps but nothing happens then somehow one or more of the airshocks... sometimes you may have to go to the dealer if you cannot diagnose yourself.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:08 AM

2007 r320

my drivers side rear

my passenger side rear

my drivers side front

my passenger side front

this is all i have for buttons
I doubt the system can be damaged that way. I am pretty sure it is a safety issue so that the airmatic does not move the car while on jack

So when you use the console switch to lower and raise the ride height nothing happens? or does the pump turn on? If nothing happens then its the pump or system. If it pumps but nothing happens then somehow one or more of the airshocks... sometimes you may have to go to the dealer if you cannot diagnose yourself.
Ya I dont believe it damaged it, I just mean that it is out of configuration now, because I had the vehicle turned on with one half of the car lifted up and the sensors assume the vehicle is on level ground.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:46 PM

2005 C240 2011 R350
Unless I am the one that is totally clueless, YOU DO NOT HAVE AIRMATIC!!!!! Please look on page 31 of your owners manual for the diagram of the lower console control buttons. It is clear you do not the ADS and ride height buttons!
You have the standard rear automatic ride level control to compensate for heavy loads or passengers. You do not have any manual control over this. Something is wrong with the ride height. It could be the sensors or a leaky passenger rear airbag. With it totally deflated, the drivers side front will be jacked up in response, same as if you had a broken spring in the right rear.
Please bring your car to the dealer.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:05 PM

2007 r320
Unless I am the one that is totally clueless, YOU DO NOT HAVE AIRMATIC!!!!! Please look on page 31 of your owners manual for the diagram of the lower console control buttons. It is clear you do not the ADS and ride height buttons!
You have the standard rear automatic ride level control to compensate for heavy loads or passengers. You do not have any manual control over this. Something is wrong with the ride height. It could be the sensors or a leaky passenger rear airbag. With it totally deflated, the drivers side front will be jacked up in response, same as if you had a broken spring in the right rear.
Please bring your car to the dealer.
The nearest Mercedes dealer to me is a 7 hour drive away. This is why I am trying to figure this out myself. Not to mention I am mechanically inclined, I have just never owned a Mercedes before, and I have owned this one for a massive 3 weeks right now haha. Im on here trying to learn about this car and troubleshoot the issues it has. It was a good deal, but is an older car, and its alot different than most of the vehicles Ive ever worked on.

The ride height of the vehicle was fine the entire time I had the vehicle, until I had it jacked up and had the key in and out of the ignition, the vehicle running, and the battery in and out of the vehicle, all while jacked up. Im feeling like the height sensors are now out of whack because it assumed it was on level ground and not half jacked up. This may or may not be the issue, but I do know that there are air lines on the vehicle, so I am going to take a look at them and the pump and the rear air bag.

I was going to pick up a STAR system to help diagnose this and any other future problems and reset the level sensors if need be.

Thank you for the reply, I didnt know all airmatic systems had user control, or that there was a standard rear air bag variant.

Anything else to look into or suggest is greatly appreciated. Thanks again
Old 11-10-2017, 09:01 AM

2005 C240 2011 R350
Try driving it around a bit, It may level itself out.
The problem is that it will be very difficult for you to troubleshoot apart from replacing parts ***** nilly. Maybe you can identify a faulty ride heigh sensor, maybe swapping them left to right (not sure if they are identical)
but in the end you will have to bring it to a dealer or an independant that has the Star system to hock up and adjust ride level.

No, you cannot purchase a "Star System" to reset the ride height. This is a MB dealer equipment. I do believe they sell it to some independents.
There may be confusion between just the shop manual part and the electronic equipment to troubleshoot, adjust, calibrate, reset and upgrade software.

You can get manuals different ways. I use AllDataDiy. I find it is the same as the MB star system manuals but easier to use. Up to you. It is a very good investment.I suggest you do that before poking around more. It will give you locations of components as well.

I have attached the system diagram for the rear axle level control 2009 and up.. hope it helps a bit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Level Control 1.pdf (367.5 KB, 55 views)
Level Control 2.pdf (278.8 KB, 58 views)
Level Control 3.pdf (372.1 KB, 55 views)
Level Control 4.pdf (207.6 KB, 62 views)
The following users liked this post:
imstock (11-10-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 08:59 AM

2006 R500
When I had the rear airmatic air spring leaking on my 2006 R500, I got the new spring from Arnott and replaced it myself. I am not a very well versed mechanic just a DIY type.

After I replaced the spring and started the car, the real is still not leveling and the new spring is not getting air pumped. I then placed some load in the luggage area and also I sat in rear and jumped to move up/down. The magic happened and it seems like the computer sensed level and the new spring got air and leveled perfect. After driving some time, the level was even left and right.

Try the above and see if it helps
Old 11-12-2017, 01:25 PM

2007 r320

Malfunction

So I lifted the rear of the car, took off both rear tires, removed both air bags, and put the passenger bag on drivers side, and drivers side bag on passenger side.

Then I started the vehicle and took it for a good drive.

Even just idling in the driveway, both sides seemed to have gone up, for the first time in a while. Driving around there was no bottoming out. So it looks like its safe to safe the bags themselves arent damaged. I also put some weight in the trunk to help.

Then after driving awhile I suddenly get the message above. Malfunction /\, and the same side (passenger rear) is sitting lower than the drivers side. Im going to say it would likely be the level sensor on the passenger rear..?
Old 11-12-2017, 05:45 PM

1998 ml320 with lift, dirt tires and rust !!!
That, or the fu...... Valve block . exchange sensors from one side to other and you will see if sensors or not, if not sensors, then valve block.

Quick redneck fix : cut lines somewhere on both sides. Clamp closed definitly. Disconect the sensors from axels, using what ever you want get the sensors to stay in an ok possition an not moove anymore. Now car thinks balloons are inflated and car is leveled. Probleme fixed for the ecu. Now for the car, atache some schreader valves to the lines comming from balloons ( standard car valves or bike valves ) and inflate arnot bags with desired pressure to level the car with tiny air compressor ( 12 volt tire compressor) there is a 12 volt plug in the trunk. If you did right, bags are going to stay inflated and your good. If you want, route the air lines ( new ones ) to any desired place and build yourself a redneck air ride control pannel using 12 volt compressor and tubes fiting from ( bike shop or aftermarket lowrider air ride things )....